Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Annual Brisket Camp is ON

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'll bring the forks!!!!!!
    Bring them brother. When I sit down to eat I like to have one in each hand to avoid any down time ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    edited May 2015
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SGH said:
    henapple said:
    @SGH. ..if you don't bring the stuffed chicken just stay home.
    Uncle Apple I'm going to do several of them. My plan is to get there early before the crowd and get a load of meat cooking on Unit #1 (stuffed chickens, shoulders and briskets) and then as the crowd shows up start demonstrating how to debone and stuff the chickens, debone and prep brisket that has been rough cut from the carcass. I have had numerous questions and requests about prep work. Thus I thought it would be a good idea to demonstrate it. Seems like most folks on the forum are pretty happy with their cooking abilities but not their prep skills. With all that said, the way the chicken vanished last time I plan on doing at least 10 of them. I will put 5 on the smoker early and save 5 to demonstrate how to debone and stuff them. I will have Unit #7 idling on stand by so capacity will not be a issue. Also I have a new stuffing that I want you and Aunt Apple to try. I have been playing around with a ground grouper stuffing that I think is better than the crab and shrimp. I'm going to make chickens using both types of stuffing. The grouper stuffed one is for you and Aunt Apple to try. 

@SGH, I'll bring a few chickens if you will teach me how to debone them.
    Any chance you guys could record this and put it out on YouTube for those of us who can't attend? Those of you in the witness protection program could wear disguises...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    henapple said:
    @Foghorn ....you coming?
    Not sure. My son will be off in college so I can't use the "honey I'm just trying to be a good father - this is what he wants to do" excuse. And there's a parents weekend I'm supposed to go to sometime around then... And I have to be in Philadelphia and Chicago from about September 30 to October 8 for work which means I'll have a bunch of work to make up.  

So so as of now we are tentatively hoping to fly him down from Baltimore to meet me in New Orleans. 

? Maybe with @Eggcelsior?

For some reason my wife thinks he would be safer flying with a guy I met on the Internet than flying by himself.  

I'm thinking he can help Eggcelsior find his way back to the airport on Sunday...

I wish I had only met him on the internet. I believe I saw that he will be unaccompanied by his heat-packing better half. This is not a good thing for anyone. I know the Crescent City has broad shoulders and they are used to hosing puke into the storm drains every morning but this could stress the entire system. Your son is better off travelling with anyone else. Anyone.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • XC242
    edited May 2015
    Options

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    @nolaegghead  - The 17th works for me. You can count on my help. Lemmee know what you need help with and I'll do my best.
    I plan on making a run down to Bourgeois in Thibodaux to pick up some boudin for the event. 
    Florida vs LSU  @ Tiger Stadium time not announced yet. Make sure we have a TV!
    I will bring a TV and a projector.    Does anyone have a ATSC TV tuner to VGA box?  (for the projector).
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Any chance you guys could record this and put it out on YouTube for those of us who can't attend?
    I'm more than sure that Nola will be glad to record it. It has a very nice camcorder. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• XC242
    Options
    That would be great if you guys could do that, thanks!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My lawyers advised me against putting any video on the internet, but who am I to listen to anyone?
    Options
    Does anyone have a ATSC TV tuner to VGA box?  (for the projector).
    I have no idea what any of that is^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I have a couple of big units though ;)

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    @nolaegghead  - The 17th works for me. You can count on my help. Lemmee know what you need help with and I'll do my best.
    I plan on making a run down to Bourgeois in Thibodaux to pick up some boudin for the event. 
    Florida vs LSU  @ Tiger Stadium time not announced yet. Make sure we have a TV!
    I will bring a TV and a projector.    Does anyone have a ATSC TV tuner to VGA box?  (for the projector).
    Something makes me think I have an USB ATSC tuner. I have no idea where in my basement it might be. I just vaguely remember playing with TV on my PC not too many years ago. I need to figure out WTH is down there anyway, I'll start looking and let you know.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

Is this the place, the empty lot to the right? 

That's just about as close to the Mississippi River as you can get on this side of the levy.  Cool...

Spring "Can't Get There From Here But Might Get There From There" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's a bar across the street to the left....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    Options

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    After being asked if I was coming more than a few times this weekend I need to figure out how to make this work. My wife was present when they asked, so she's already prepared. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    "I wish I had only met him on the internet. I believe I saw that he will be unaccompanied by his heat-packing better half. This is not a good thing for anyone. I know the Crescent City has broad shoulders and they are used to hosing puke into the storm drains every morning but this could stress the entire system. Your son is better off travelling with anyone else. Anyone."

My wife thinks you're funny... and hopes that you're joking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "I wish I had only met him on the internet. I believe I saw that he will be unaccompanied by his heat-packing better half. This is not a good thing for anyone. I know the Crescent City has broad shoulders and they are used to hosing puke into the storm drains every morning but this could stress the entire system. Your son is better off travelling with anyone else. Anyone."

My wife thinks you're funny... and hopes that you're joking.
    He's a great dude. And a male nurse (Meet The Fockers joke so settle down) with trauma care experience. He has recently been promoted to fighting  insurance companies on the phone but I think all of this could come in to play during brisket camp so your boy is in good hands. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Foghorn I'm planning on flying from bwi on Friday morning. I'm going to head back Sunday(depends on Southwest). I'm more than happy to give him a ride.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    So by myself coming from Seattle. Best bet is B&B on Algiers side for Friday and Saturday night? Make it easiest, cab to and from airport?
    Seattle, WA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    @Foghorn I'm planning on flying from bwi on Friday morning. I'm going to head back Sunday(depends on Southwest). I'm more than happy to give him a ride.
    Thanks @Eggcelsior. We're not ready to book it yet so get whatever flights work for you and if/when we book I'll be in touch. We were happy to see that Southwest flies direct. 

The irony in all of this is that he's the most self-sustaining kid I've ever met. We could have left him home alone for 2 weeks when he was 7 and we would have arrived home to a cleaner house and a well-nourished kid who ate better meals than when we are around. He has traveled extensively including going to Japan with a school group, plus Africa twice, South America twice, and Europe. And he's mature enough and independent enough to want to leave Texas for a unique music/engineering program at Johns Hopkins/Peabody - and smart enough to get in. But alas, my loving bride thinks of him as our baby... 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    So by myself coming from Seattle. Best bet is B&B on Algiers side for Friday and Saturday night? Make it easiest, cab to and from airport?

Cabs are fixed rate ($33 I think) to and from the airport.  Algiers is still Orleans Parish, so there shouldn't be extra charge for crossing the bridge.  Easy.

We also have Uber now, but I don't think they are allowed to service the airport.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @SkinnyV - might be able to get you a ride.  Call me before you commit to a cab and give me a heads up of your ETA. 
    Options
    I'm supposed to be doing a brewing demo at Oktoberfest that day, but I'm very strongly considering dropping out of that and coming to this instead.  What exactly goes on?  Do people bring their eggs? 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @nolabrew I borrow eggs from local people I know and bring mine, SGH brings some heavy hitter cookers, and we start early in the Morning on Sat and go through the night cooking with music and a band.  We have a covered cooking area, courtyard, big indoor area with a bar.  We do some cooking demonstrations and serve hundreds of pounds of delicious food.

Here's last year's:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1169825/brisket-camp-in-nola/p1

Options
    so...just move the brewing demo?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    I'm supposed to be doing a brewing demo at Oktoberfest that day, but I'm very strongly considering dropping out of that and coming to this instead.  What exactly goes on?  Do people bring their eggs? 
    I agree with Legume - do not drop out of the brewing demo.  Just move it to Brisket camp.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    Options
    @SGH has a huge unit
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Got a band lined up? We should see if Kermit would come bbq with us. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    @SGH has a huge unit
    You got that one right Uncle Apple :D

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The weekend prior to the Brisket Camp is the Eggfest in Atlanta, the wife wants us to go to a Wedding in New York that weekend. The good news is since I will be missing the Eggfest there will be no discussion on me going to the Brisket Camp. I'll be the guy looking over @SGH's shoulder all weekend looking for cooking tips and food droppings.....See everyone there! :)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    Options
    SGH said:
    henapple said:
    @SGH has a huge unit
    You got that one right Uncle Apple :D
    That's what Nola told me. ...