Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what is so great about Brisket

Options

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nanook said:
    tfhanson said:
    To me, steak is king. A good ribeye, t-bone, porter house, tri tip or flat iron any day of the week, followed by chicken, but none of that dry white meat chicken.
    If the white meat of your chicken is dry, you must not be cooking it on the Egg.
    Some of us find the moistest chicken breast meat to still be dry tasting/texture. 
    There is nothing you can do to make a breast taste as good and have the same texture as a thigh or drumstick to me.  It just ain't gonna happen.  It really bums me out how our nation is so brain-washed into chicken breasts that so many restaurants only serve chicken breast meat, even at many asian restaurants.  But go to asia, and you can enjoy thigh meat everywhere.  I know of 4 local asian restaurants that serve thigh meat, and those are the ones I prefer to go to now.  one is Thai, two are Japanese, & one is Chinese.  At the ones that only offer breast meat, I order the beef, pork or shrimp entrees when I go there.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Edit... duplicate post

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Nanook said:
    tfhanson said:
    To me, steak is king. A good ribeye, t-bone, porter house, tri tip or flat iron any day of the week, followed by chicken, but none of that dry white meat chicken.
    If the white meat of your chicken is dry, you must not be cooking it on the Egg.
    Some of us find the moistest chicken breast meat to still be dry tasting/texture. 
    There is nothing you can do to make a breast taste as good and have the same texture as a thigh or drumstick to me.  It just ain't gonna happen.  It really bums me out how our nation is so brain-washed into chicken breasts that so many restaurants only serve chicken breast meat, even at many asian restaurants.  But go to asia, and you can enjoy thigh meat everywhere.  I know of 4 local asian restaurants that serve thigh meat, and those are the ones I prefer to go to now.  one is Thai, two are Japanese, & one is Chinese.  At the ones that only offer breast meat, I order the beef, pork or shrimp entrees when I go there.
    Amen Brother...  But there is a positive flipside to the chicken breast obsession.  Packs of thighs and drumsticks are dirt cheap. On a diet of thighs, might be able to get me a mini BGE.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Far from being dry when done right. Made this for Easter and it was actually too tender and was hard to keep the slices together. Did a full packer over pecan and cherry. I also inject all my briskets.
    Dearborn MI
  • CowtownEgger
    Options
    Not sure why but I just started ripping pages out of my cookbooks........
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Focker said:

Anymore, I'd take a thick cut Berkshire chop over any cut of steak, even aged.

Hey Focker. ha That reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the Three Stooges.
    When asked what form of execution he would prefer, head cut off or burned alive.
    Curly responded,
     " yeee,nananaaah .... hhmmmn"...
    I'd rather a hot steak over a cold chop any day...nyuk nyuk nyuk".
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    My first day back to work after pneumonia this winter I was late because of the Stooges. 

It's all good!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Bbq in south dakota  is beef or beef hot dogs lol
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Ok, so I have decided to tackle my frist brisket this weekend.  I am not doing the $189 brisket on my first go, but will go to my local Kroger and pick up one there.  So teach me, what do I do with the thing.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The below from an early post on this thread should get you going:
    With regard to "what to do?" Below are some good links and other info:
     probably more than you will ever need- http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html; http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html 

and http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php 

The Aaron Franklin brisket youtube series is full of great info as well.

Several run at around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome thermo and figure about 1-1.5 hours /lb.  But aim to finish early as you don't want to be stressing trying to push the cook across the finish-line.  Each will cook at its own pace.  You can easily hold for around 6 hours in a cooler.

Key finish indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  If going with the real high end cuts, start checking at around 180*F (and then every 30 mins or so) but it could run into the low 200's.  Also don't worry that the point runs hotter than the flat.  The higher fat content protects it just fine. I cook with the point toward the BGE hinge as that is the hottest cooking area (due to air flow characteristics). It will likely be 10-15*F (or more) hotter than the flat when you arrive at the promised land but don't worry about it.  And I'm in the slice and eat the point-not the burnt ends crowd. 

Give the search function here a look as well.  Lots of brisket cook threads.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    tfhanson said:
     So teach me, what do I do with the thing.
    If you figure this out, please share it with all of us. Will be standing by. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tfhanson
    Options
    SGH said:
    tfhanson said:
    Will do... It's my new mission.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    An average brisket can be awesome in the right hands. Respectively a SRF in the wrong hands can turn out like shoe leather. No different than steak, chops, chicken, fish etc. in that they can all be overcooked and dry. 
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL, If you don't pay attention to your grill the meat will dry out.  When I cook chicken on the egg it comes out really juice, much so more then on a gasser.  My favorite part of the brisket is the point and it made into burnt ends.  I know a lot of people don't want to take the time, but the last 9 pound one I did were awesome, but I have never made bad burnt ends.  I have also made a whole packer into burnt ends before.  With the flat after I cube them I would add a little sauce to keep them moist when I put them back on the egg for another hour to get a little more char.  I guess I need to do a step by step process on how I do it.  I have also found by tenderizing the brisket with Jacquard helps to make it more tender.  I took a class from Chris Marks of Three Little Pig's on how to prep and cook a brisket.  Here he is prepping a full packer.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sgbX9Nxgs

tfhanson said:
    Ok, so I have decided to tackle my frist brisket this weekend.  I am not doing the $189 brisket on my first go, but will go to my local Kroger and pick up one there.  So teach me, what do I do with the thing.
    I posted this earlier on how to trim it and prep it.  I like to smoke mine between 225 and 275, but 250 is the sweet spot to me.  At 250 to 275 it will take at least 1 hour per pound maybe a little more.  Plan on more to be safe, you can always FTC it if it is early.  Slather on some yellow mustard, put on some of your favorite rub, enough to give it a good bark but not the whole bottle.  Wood is your personal taste, but I like cherry.  Other good wood to use is oak, pecan or any other nut or fruit wood that you like.  I take it you are doing a full packer, they are more forgiving, because the point helps it out a little.  When the flat it at 195 start probing it all over and if it probes like butter its done.  Pull it off to rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes then you can start slicing it.  Remember to cut across the grain of the meat at 1/4" strips or so.  Make sure you have your egg stabilize first, but I am sure you know that already.  If you get a big packer it could drop the temp a little, but don't try to bring the temp up, it will catch up to it.  Good luck, I look forward to seeing it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    An average brisket can be awesome in the right hands. Respectively a SRF in the wrong hands can turn out like shoe leather. No different than steak, chops, chicken, fish etc. in that they can all be overcooked and dry. 
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL, If you don't pay attention to your grill the meat will dry out.  When I cook chicken on the egg it comes out really juice, much so more then on a gasser.  My favorite part of the brisket is the point and it made into burnt ends.  I know a lot of people don't want to take the time, but the last 9 pound one I did were awesome, but I have never made bad burnt ends.  I have also made a whole packer into burnt ends before.  With the flat after I cube them I would add a little sauce to keep them moist when I put them back on the egg for another hour to get a little more char.  I guess I need to do a step by step process on how I do it.  I have also found by tenderizing the brisket with Jacquard helps to make it more tender.  I took a class from Chris Marks of Three Little Pig's on how to prep and cook a brisket.  Here he is prepping a full packer.  
    Man, I thought my fingers were stubby.  :tongue: 

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @tfhanson - I am very far from a brisket expert, but I would recommend you cook a whole brisket (aka packer cut, which includes point and flat). Like Ladback said they are more forgiving and give you a better chance of success. The point is the best part.

It can be a bit of a challenge finding packers in GA. Chances are you wont't find them at Kroger or Publix. I am in Woodstock, and the only place I can find packers is Walmart or specialty butcher shops. I have checked multiple Kroger, Publix, BJs, and Costco near me and none of them carry packers.

Another option is Restaurant Depot, but you have to have a business license to shop there. A workaround is to join KCBS for $35 and then you can use that card to shop at RD.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Man, I thought my fingers were stubby.  :tongue: 

Yes, his fingers are stubby, but hew is a cool guy.  I've learned a lot from Chris and few other BBQ Champions in the KC area.   
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

cant wait for a coupon from SRF. I just want to make sure I don't screw up a $100 plus piece of meat

St. Johns County, Florida
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Well, based on @SGH's  comment I'm 1 for 1. Going with # 2 this weekend. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tfhanson
    Options
    So what time is dinner?
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Ok, I pulled the trigger and got a 12 lbs packer sitting in the fridge, planning on throwing it on Saturday morning.  I will trim and rub it up tonight.  When I put it in the fridge tonight, covered or uncovered?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Ok, I pulled the trigger and got a 12 lbs packer sitting in the fridge, planning on throwing it on Saturday morning.  I will trim and rub it up tonight.  When I put it in the fridge tonight, covered or uncovered?
    Just curious- where did you score the packer? 

Covered or uncovered doesn't really matter IMO.  My wife always wants me to cover it because she thinks germs are going to jump off on to other food, so I loosely cover it to make her happy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    So what time is dinner?
    I'm thinking Sunday during the Green Jacket Ceremony.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tfhanson
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Just curious- where did you score the packer? 

Covered or uncovered doesn't really matter IMO.  My wife always wants me to cover it because she thinks germs are going to jump off on to other food, so I loosely cover it to make her happy.  
    I did get it at Walmart.  So glad I watched the video that is in this thread.  At the start of the video, the guy talks about how to tell if the brisket is bad.  The first one I found, failed the test and I had to go to a different store. 
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Case closed. @sgh nailed it. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bweekes said:
    I have my moments my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tfhanson
    Options
    bweekes said:
    Nailed what?
  • tfhanson
    Options

It's on the egg...

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    SGH said:
    tfhanson said:
    Will do... It's my new mission.
    When you figure it out, let me know too.  I'm tired of failing at cooking that tricky piece of meat!  :bawling: 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Damn thing has been stuck at 151 for over an hour
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It'll hang out there for a while.