Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So what is so great about Brisket

Options

Comments

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    To me, steak is king. A good ribeye, t-bone, porter house, tri tip or flat iron any day of the week, followed by chicken, but none of that dry white meat chicken.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    Not to be a complete dingus, but this is the same thing as "What is so great about sunny side up eggs? Every time I have them, the yolks are hard and dry"

you have just been eating sh!tty brisket
    You said "dingus"

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    Please don't show us your dingus again @hapster
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think it is okay to not like brisket.  I like it fine but it is still not my favorite even in the beef category.  I would rather have chuck roast or short ribs.  Chuckies and shorties are about the same price as brisket in GA, and they are much more forgiving.  That being said I do plan to try a SRF brisket one day for a special occasion.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't like brisket. Centex eggs the best I've had but still prefer pork. Yes, I've had some Aaron Franklin. ..
    Hard to compare the reheated Franklin brisket to what you're served fresh.  I didn't think it was that great when I ate it that day.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've had Franklin brisket reheated too. No bueno. Have to eat it right of the cutting block.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It can't be that much better than John's. ..it was great but brisket isn't my favorite. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Nothing better than a well prepared brisket and not much worse than a bad one. The good thing if it's bad is you can still make great chili. 
    McKinney, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    Nothing better than a well prepared brisket and not much worse than a bad one. The good thing if it's bad is you can still make great chili. 
    Yep, you got it. Brisket is nothing like pizza. Pizza, like certain other activities, is good even when it's bad.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    To me, steak is king. A good ribeye, t-bone, porter house, tri tip or flat iron any day of the week, followed by chicken, but none of that dry white meat chicken.
    I agree.  i made a brisket once on my egg and was not enthralled.  I then went to a hole in the wall BBQ restaurant and tried their smoked brisket.  Seemed the same as mine.  I've since discovered that smoking corned beef brisket to make pastrami is something I do like, so from now on, I only eat brisket when it's pastrami.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Growing up in this part of Georgia when I was a kid BBQ meant pork and only pork. 

We didn't BBQ in the back yard we grilled. I knew of no one that cooked brisket, and I had never tried brisket until I was grown. 

I agree with @Jeepster47. Where you are from has a lot to do with what you define as BBQ. 
    Same here @johnkitchens.  Growing up in West Georgia, pork is all we ate for bbq. And when we grilled out--it was hot dogs and burgers in the back yard. A few years ago, I spent a couple years in Texas for work and fell in love with brisket at Rudys bbq in South Texas. Some of the best brisket I've ever had--smoked over oak wood and half off for law enforcement. It couldn't be beat. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    In general, I'll take the oink over the moo just about every time.  A medium rare ribeye trumps the oink though.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2015
    Options

Pork is king of Que. 

Brisket is ok for pastrami and grinding burgers. 

Anymore, I'd take a thick cut Berkshire chop over any cut of steak, even aged.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    If the white meat of your chicken is dry, you must not be cooking it on the Egg.
    GWN
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    Nanook said:
    tfhanson said:
    If the white meat of your chicken is dry, you must not be cooking it on the Egg.
    +1

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    An average brisket can be awesome in the right hands. Respectively a SRF in the wrong hands can turn out like shoe leather. No different than steak, chops, chicken, fish etc. in that they can all be overcooked and dry. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Nanook said:
    tfhanson said:
    True, I am cooking the white on the BGE now that I own one, but I a still ain't touching it.  That goes to the wife and daugther, I get the juicy thighs and legs...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    An average brisket can be awesome in the right hands. Respectively a SRF in the wrong hands can turn out like shoe leather. No different than steak, chops, chicken, fish etc. in that they can all be overcooked and dry. 
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL, If you don't pay attention to your grill the meat will dry out.  When I cook chicken on the egg it comes out really juice, much so more then on a gasser.  My favorite part of the brisket is the point and it made into burnt ends.  I know a lot of people don't want to take the time, but the last 9 pound one I did were awesome, but I have never made bad burnt ends.  I have also made a whole packer into burnt ends before.  With the flat after I cube them I would add a little sauce to keep them moist when I put them back on the egg for another hour to get a little more char.  I guess I need to do a step by step process on how I do it.  I have also found by tenderizing the brisket with Jacquard helps to make it more tender.  I took a class from Chris Marks of Three Little Pig's on how to prep and cook a brisket.  Here he is prepping a full packer.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3sgbX9Nxgs
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    I like corned beef and cabbage, and I'm not Irish. I had a good brisket sandwich once at a motorcycle rally in Johnson City. He sold out before I got another one the next night.
    I have tried other places, but even if moist and tender, did not compare to a butt for taste. Let the Texans keep them.
    Ready for the flaming to begin.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Ladeback69
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like corned beef and cabbage, and I'm not Irish. I had a good brisket sandwich once at a motorcycle rally in Johnson City. He sold out before I got another one the next night.
    I have tried other places, but even if moist and tender, did not compare to a butt for taste. Let the Texans keep them.
    Ready for the flaming to begin.

Bob
    I take you have never had burnt ends before.  I like pork butt too, but BE's are my favorite when it comes to BBQ.  I call them meat candy.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is just one man talking here, but to try and answer the posed question above: "What is so special about brisket"? For some, it's simply the challenge of taking the 2nd toughest cut of meat from the steer and transforming it into a delicacy. To do it consistently, or "at will" is a rewarding achievement for many. For people that just enjoy grilling occasionally, or that prefer other types of food over Q can't really relate to the thrill of victory that hitting a brisket spot on brings. For some it's the accomplishment more so than the actual eating. For folks that live to Q, short of whole carcass and splits, brisket and unseperated clod present the ultimate challenge due to containing different muscles and different types of fat. Clod and brisket are the World Series and Super Bowl of the Q arena. I cook quite a bit of food for friends, family and fund raisers. More often than not, no matter how good the chicken, pork or whatever else is, it's the big beef Primals that everyone marvels over. Why? There are more people out there who can not cook them correctly than there is who can cook them correctly. Most meats can can be cooked pretty good by simply following a simple recipe from a book or someone's instructions. This however is not the case for brisket and clod. There is a look and a feel that has to be achieved for it to be great. Learning that feel takes trial and error. There is very little redundancy in how individual briskets or clods will perform. For the record, there are things out there I like better to eat than brisket and clod. Not many, but there are a few. That said, they are two of my absolute very favorite things to cook for all the reasons listed above. One other factor that has help elevate brisket to Holy Grail stature in the last half century is the fact that cooking whole carcass has sadly fell out of vogue due to sheer economics reasons. That said, from a economic stand point, brisket is the biggest and most affordable challenge out there for most or the average home Q enthusiast. To wrap up my summation, for me it's the challenge, the thrill of victory if you will. More so than the actual taste of brisket. Anyone can cook a great ribeye or pork butt. But only a chosen few can reduce the big Primals to mouthwatering goodness time and time again. Brisket separates the heavyweights from the light weights. Those who can do it are referred to as the Brisket Gods. A very elite group. Those of us who do not walk among them can only keep praying for their guidance in hope that one day they will harken our call and bless us. Until then it's the constant battle of thrill of victory against the crushing agony of defeat.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tfhanson
    Options

SGH, I applaud you, I stand up and salute you, but now you have tossed down the gauntlet for me.  Dry meat be damned, I now will not rest till I have perfected the brisket.  In the future men will stand up and say Franklin, Lewis and Hanson in the same sentance........

• Ladeback69
    Options
    tfhanson said:

SGH, I applaud you, I stand up and salute you, but now you have tossed down the gauntlet for me.  Dry meat be damned, I now will not rest till I have perfected the brisket.  In the future men will stand up and say Franklin, Lewis and Hanson in the same sentance........

Cool, go for it.  If to dry make it into chili or one of my brisket leftovers is fajitas.  Looking forward to a new post.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SGH I concur with your summation. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    tfhanson said:

Glad to hear it. There is few things more rewarding than reducing a big primal to melt in your mouth perfection. If you enjoy both cooking and being challenged, then start cooking brisket my friend. The reward goes far beyond just good eats. I will be standing by to see your future brisket cooks with plate in hand. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nanook said:
    tfhanson said:

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Great thread.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,983
    Options
    DMW said:
    Lmidkiff said:
    Yep, you got it. Brisket is nothing like pizza. Pizza, like certain other activities, is good even when it's bad.
    An entire nation of people who have tried Little Caesar's would beg to differ.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options