Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin Barbecue book

Options
Franklin's book came out yesterday, I pre-ordered it, so it was waiting when I got home from work.

It is not a cookbook with recipes so much as detailed discussion about smokers, wood, smoke, meat, rubs, etc., it is really a book to read.  I am about 20 pages in, it is an enjoyable read, I think I will learn a lot from it!

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY
book.jpg 154.4K

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like it so far...about 3 pages left on chapter 5.  
    A good read to gain a better understanding of smoking meat.  Granted...a lot of it is geared to cooking on an offset with wood.  I've already contacted my neighborhood welder to modify a pit my grandpa made me.  Hoping they can convert into a traditional offset.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    When you get to the Cook Chapter--he shares his recipes for cooking meat--including rubs and sauces.  Then he adds his recipes for sides as well.  Being that the book is titled a manifesto Franklin covers the whole spectrum of cooking with smoke and wood.  If anyone is expecting a traditional cookbook, this will disappoint.  If you're expecting a wealth of information about wood fired smoking and cooking, this is a gem worth reading and "digesting!"
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • cazzy
    Options
    When you get to the Cook Chapter--he shares his recipes for cooking meat--including rubs and sauces.  Then he adds his recipes for sides as well.  Being that the book is titled a manifesto Franklin covers the whole spectrum of cooking with smoke and wood.  If anyone is expecting a traditional cookbook, this will disappoint.  If you're expecting a wealth of information about wood fired smoking and cooking, this is a gem worth reading and "digesting!"
    A definite read.  I do like the inclusion of the bean and sauce recipes.  Two things I struggle with.

However, I think few recipes given are just baseline.  I think the biggest joke in Central Texas BBQ is "just Salt and Pepper".  
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Options
    I've read a few BBQ books and this is by far the best. Very thorough and detailed. Franklin has an incredible grasp on every detail that goes into smoking. I even like how he has several subsections that dispel common myths of smoking like temp of the meat and the smoke ring. 

I definitely agree that his recipes are basic and not what he serves at his restraunt. John Lewis has come out and said there is more to Franklins brisket than S/P. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:
    However, I think few recipes given are just baseline.  
    The above almost goes without saying. There are a lot of folks that will offer very useful tips and tricks along the way. However I can not think of anyone who would give away their trade secret that brings them millions of dollars in annually. I certainly will give credit where credit is due. Aaron Franklin and Brother Reed have given the best straight forward advice of anyone out there. Their advice is solid and proven. However at the end of the day, they are not telling all, and for good reason. My hat is off to both of them for what they have been willing to share.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I started the book last night and it's a great read.  I enjoyed the whole rags to riches back story.  He's one hard working dude. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    He's one hard working dude. 
    This^^^^ is the biggest contributor to his success. He set his eye on the prize and never looked back. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    It's amazing that he cooked his first brisket in 2002 and not that many cooks before opening in 2009.  I'll stop now...I don't want to spoil anything.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    It's amazing that he cooked his first brisket in 2002 and not that many cooks before opening in 2009.  I'll stop now...I don't want to spoil anything.
    Don't believe everything you read.  In the book he says "within a month or so, as we got busier, I got a guy to help out a few days a week".  That guy was John Lewis and he was involved before the trailer opened (John is in the left window).

John just moved back to Austin and he and Aaron met on the competition circuit.  After he got John Mueller's pit (which was a POS; John also inherited one of Mueller's pits which is also a POS lol), they would do backyard meat parties to perfect the craft.  Based on what I know, he spent way more time in the meat lab with John before the trailer dropped.  John's pit was a game changer for him.  He hired John as a pit boss from go and they launched it together...

John is a competitor now, so Aaron doesn't talk to him anymore.  However, up until John started working on his new spot in South Carolina (Lewis Barbecue), he would regularly drink beers with Franklin's brisket cooks in what he called their "Brisket Lab".  

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    I had it preordered and it looks to deliver on Saturday. Look forward to the read.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Added to my Amazon wishlist for later. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• JGoodson
    JGoodson Posts: 55
    Options
    Just ordered the book...looking forward to a good read. Thanks fellas
    McDonough,Ga   Large & Small BGE  Dawgs, Falcons and Bravos!
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options

Started reading it last night. Great read!

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some of you have read lots more of the book than I have yet, and it will take me a while given my schedule.

At any rate, I think Aaron is one of those rare guys who just "gets it", and the insight it brings really does not translate neatly into a book.  I am expecting more of a road map that will help me tweak my methods, wood selection, etc.  Wish I could cook briskets daily - but it's only 3-4 a year when we have a group around.
    Rochester, NY
  • cazzy
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    Some of you have read lots more of the book than I have yet, and it will take me a while given my schedule.

At any rate, I think Aaron is one of those rare guys who just "gets it", and the insight it brings really does not translate neatly into a book.  I am expecting more of a road map that will help me tweak my methods, wood selection, etc.  Wish I could cook briskets daily - but it's only 3-4 a year when we have a group around.
    Do you have an offset?  If so, this book makes me very jealous of you!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do not have an offset. Just 2 eggs. I could not cook enough to justify owning an offset. Maybe a business/hobby when I retire =)
    Rochester, NY
  • cazzy
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    I do not have an offset. Just 2 eggs. I could not cook enough to justify owning an offset. Maybe a business/hobby when I retire =)
    Offset doesn't have to be huge...they sell the Old Country line at Academy that are perfect for the backyard and can easily be sealed.

Don't spend too much time on wood selection for an egg...we are cooking completely different...which he points out on page 45.
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    Does he really rest his briskets 10-11 hours before serving? 
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mrw123 said:
    Not entirely for the purpose of resting...but more so out of purpose to maintain sanity and keep up with the volume.  They start coming off at midnight and are held in holding units (Metro, Cambro etc) that are set somewhere between 140-170 degrees.  In the really good ones, you can hold protein for up to 24 hours without any degradation in quality.  

Doing them the day before allows a couple things.  It allows extra time for stubborn briskets or weather that might delay the cook.  Scheduling them to come off a few hours before service is very risky.  This is also employs the mentality that most purists live by..."barbecue is done when it's done".  This means nothing is forced to the finish line.  Next, it also means that most important and long cook is happening during the day where he and his kitchen manager (Braun) can manage the cook.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    mrw123 said:
    Not entirely for the purpose of resting...but more so out of purpose to maintain sanity and keep up with the volume.  They start coming off at midnight and are held in holding units (Metro, Cambro etc) that are set somewhere between 140-170 degrees.  In the really good ones, you can hold protein for up to 24 hours without any degradation in quality.  

Doing them the day before allows a couple things.  It allows extra time for stubborn briskets or weather that might delay the cook.  Scheduling them to come off a few hours before service is very risky.  This is also employs the mentality that most purists live by..."barbecue is done when it's done".  This means nothing is forced to the finish line.  Next, it also means that most important and long cook is happening during the day where he and his kitchen manager (Braun) can manage the cook.
    Oh...it also frees up more pits to cook other proteins, like pork and beef ribs, which go on a few hours after the briskets come off.  All of this maximizes profit and grid space.

This is why his pits run 24 hours a day.  An empty pit is losing money.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    So - does he put the fat up or down?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    One thing is clear: @cazzy has a man crush on a guy and their name rhymes with Ron Ranklin.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    He puts them fat up. I did email him and asked if he had ever cooked a brisket on the egg. He replied that if he did he would cook it fat side down for the the egg due to the heat source coming from below.
  • cazzy
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    One thing is clear: @cazzy has a man crush on a guy and their name rhymes with Ron Ranklin.
    Lol hmm OK.  I respect hell out of skillset and what he's accomplished.  His food is the real deal.
  • cazzy
    Options

dstearn said:
    Foghorn said:
    He puts them fat up. I did email him and asked if he had ever cooked a brisket on the egg. He replied that if he did he would cook it fat side down for the the egg due to the heat source coming from below.
    I cook high in the dome so I get more heat reflection than a standard configuration.  This is a lil similar to cooking near a wall on an offset.  Those factors have me lean towards cooking fat side up, but I've done numerous up and down on the egg and I don't think it really matters.  Since I've seen no benefit either way, I continue to cook up since I like the point to have a lil more top side bark.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks @dstearn and @cazzy.  I've usually done them fat side down for the reason that was mentioned (heat from below), but I recently did one with the fat side up on a friend's Akorn and it was the best brisket I've ever tasted.  We did it very high in the dome and used foil to make sure it got no direct heat.  I'm doing one tomorrow night on my egg so I'll try that.  This is the kind of stuff I want to learn from him and his book.  I'm glad you guys have allowed me to pick this up 3rd hand.  But I'll probably get the book for a holiday gift in the near future (by request).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• damnedhooligan
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'm in the market for a holding unit that I can drive around with. Are the really good ones not transportable?

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

I'm in the market for a holding unit that I can drive around with. Are the really good ones not transportable?
    they are- you can get a cambro that is just a holding cabinet (does not have heating element). You could use a Yeti if you wanted. Hell, I use cheap wheelie-cool igloos and towels and the last brisket I did at Salado was still hot after 11 hours. and it was money.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:

Without electricity, no.  

You'd be looking at something like this, which will give you 4 hours.  

http://www.cambro.com/Products/Insulated_Food_Transport/Non_Electric_Food_Transport_Carts/10737429923/1033.aspx

However, it just depends what you're driving around with.  If it's big cuts like brisket and butts, that time would likely be a lot longer because of their mass.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sounds like a great read.  I am intrigued and believe I'll get it on my Kindle.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site