Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For the geeks!

Options

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    This thread has gotten bad. It's making want to spend money. I wish I could be happy buying junk. Glad I'm not the only one that needs no help up selling himself on quality goods.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Now that we have Google Fiber my WIFI is pretty damn fast, but the TV boxes all have Eithernet hook ups built in to them so the only thing wireless is phones and tablets too. I can upload photos in seconds instead of minutes now.

I hate you again. :P

At this point, your bottleneck will be the sites you frequent.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    cazzy said:

Now that we have Google Fiber my WIFI is pretty damn fast, but the TV boxes all have Eithernet hook ups built in to them so the only thing wireless is phones and tablets too. I can upload photos in seconds instead of minutes now.

I hate you again. :P

At this point, your bottleneck will be the sites you frequent.

Sorry, but I want your 4K projector. AT&T also announced this week that they are going to start offering fiber to the home like Google in the KC area at the same rat, same speed. Its getting interesting here in KC for wireless and internet. Oh the BBQ is great too. ;;)
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Meh... to AT&T GigaPower.. No thanks...

AT&T charges $29 more for gigabit fiber that doesn’t watch your Web browsing

• Ladeback69
    Options
    yogi84 said:

Meh... to AT&T GigaPower.. No thanks...

AT&T charges $29 more for gigabit fiber that doesn’t watch your Web browsing

I agree, but some people may do it since they already have Uverse. I don't care for AT&T service my self. It took my almost 2 hours and 3 phone calls to cancel my DSL when I went to Google Fiber. We don't have a home phone so I will stick with Google.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I hate you again. :P At this point, your bottleneck will be the sites you frequent.

@cazzy,  Where are you located.  Google Fiber is being installed in Austin right now and it is coming to Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham.  Other cites like San Antonio, Phoenix, San Jose, Portland and Salt Lake are in the plans.  https://fiber.google.com/newcities/  See the map.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I hate you again. :P At this point, your bottleneck will be the sites you frequent.

@cazzy,  Where are you located.  Google Fiber is being installed in Austin right now and it is coming to Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh-Durham.  Other cites like San Antonio, Phoenix, San Jose, Portland and Salt Lake are in the plans.  https://fiber.google.com/newcities/  See the map.
    I'm in Katy Texas.  I don't see it coming anytime soon.

I'm getting 105-125mbps for $45.  It's good for now!
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I'm in Katy Texas.  I don't see it coming anytime soon.

I'm getting 105-125mbps for $45.  It's good for now!
    I am getting up to 450mbps for wireless.  Where as when I had AT&T it varied from 50 to 75 most of the time for wireless.  It sucked.  Wired was a little better, but not much.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I pay for 105 in Jacksonville, but only see about 35-38.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @fusionhq who is your provider? I am about to drop Concast(not a typo) Triple Play and go for the max internet since I figured out a work around for live TV. I'm going to get a metered phone line along with that. 
  • yogi84
    Options
    @Eggcelsior for the phone why not get an obihai and use google voice ?
  • fusionhq
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I have comcast.  I think their Max internet is what I have..It's cheaper to add TV and phone then to have just internet.  I also have the TV workaround...XBMC, what's yours?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    You guys are killing me.  My wiring looks worse than a pot of spaghetti.  I can cook a pork butt in the cabinet with my AVR and cable box, it's so hot. And my cable internet clocked in at a smoking 4 Mbps a few days ago. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @yogi84 I have an alarm system and I prefer a landline. If the power goes out, no phone because no modem. I've been burned by Comcast twice when my power went out and lost dial tone because the "battery back-up" modem wouldn't seem to have a charge. They couldn't find any issues, so I attribute to the fact that it's Concast and they just don't care.

@fusionhq I have Triple Play(phone, TV, web) and I started with the $99/month deal for 1 year. IT eventually went to $220/month before I called. They reduced the price to $138/month(which my bill still states)but for some reason, it's back up to $170/month. I can get 105mb internet for $65/month. I have a Chromecast, Firestick, and Slingbox. I went over viewing habits with my wife and we watch 2 channels of the 220 we pay for that we can't get with an OTA antenna. I can watch most sports off of the Slingbox, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime. If I am missing anything, there is the bar for that.

Plus, Concast sucks. Real hard. I've had problems with them since my sophomore year of college. They are the only game in town, so I have to bite the pillow and enjoy it to get high speed. Only other option is DSL.
  • fusionhq
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I agree about Comcast sucking..  I'm interested to know how you get the 105 for $65/month.  They told me it would be 109.  Therefore, they brought my cable/internet/phone triple play down to 119.  Plus BS comes to 148.  Mine originally did what yours did..99, then 185, then eventually got up to 280.  I'm also interested in how the chromecast works, I'll have to do some research.  Right now I have an HDTV antenna on the roof, which works well, along with an apple tv 2 that's jailbroken with XBMC.  Seems tough to find live TV on it though.

Tell me more about the slingbox.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I'm pretty blown away by everything.  The picture and sound are incredible.  I will post a better picture later but here is one.  First movie night is Big Hero 6.

One thing is for certain...I need a URC.  I have way too many remotes!

• yogi84
    Options
    dayummm looks good cazzy...thats a good movie too
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    That looks awesome!  Dies big hero 6 have a atmos track?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • cazzy
    Options
    No...DTS Master Audio.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    Congrats!  Looks awesome.  How did you stream Big Hero 6 with the DTS master track?  Most things I've streamed have lossy tracks.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Congrats!  Looks awesome.  How did you stream Big Hero 6 with the DTS master track?  Most things I've streamed have lossy tracks.
    Streamed with WDTV.  Natively compatible with several audio and video codecs.  It's the closest thing to the Popcorn Hour I've found.  Raspberry Pi might accomplish the same.
  • cazzy
    Options

@yogi84 I have an alarm system and I prefer a landline. If the power goes out, no phone because no modem. I've been burned by Comcast twice when my power went out and lost dial tone because the "battery back-up" modem wouldn't seem to have a charge. They couldn't find any issues, so I attribute to the fact that it's Concast and they just don't care.

@fusionhq I have Triple Play(phone, TV, web) and I started with the $99/month deal for 1 year. IT eventually went to $220/month before I called. They reduced the price to $138/month(which my bill still states)but for some reason, it's back up to $170/month. I can get 105mb internet for $65/month. I have a Chromecast, Firestick, and Slingbox. I went over viewing habits with my wife and we watch 2 channels of the 220 we pay for that we can't get with an OTA antenna. I can watch most sports off of the Slingbox, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime. If I am missing anything, there is the bar for that.

Plus, Concast sucks. Real hard. I've had problems with them since my sophomore year of college. They are the only game in town, so I have to bite the pillow and enjoy it to get high speed. Only other option is DSL.
    I hope Slingbox works for you as it will be something I consider in a year or two!!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    cazzy said:
    No...DTS Master Audio.  

So what did the kiddos think of the whole setup ? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    @Eggcelsior, we have an alarm system and were able to get rid of our land line by the company putting on a module that uses the mobile towers in the area.  It is $15 extra a month on our bill, but the land line was costing us $45 so I saved $30 a month.  I don't miss having a land line except when the wife doesn't answer her mobile.  Half the time the land line phones were dead and we never used them.  Just a thought to ask your alarm company about if you want to get rid of it.  Heck I don't much on the phone anyway.  All text and emails these days.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Ladeback69  The metered line is a wash compared to the monitoring module because the cost increase is the same. I still prefer and use a landline.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cazzy
    Options
    Man...only 35k.  Totally doing it!! =)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    That is awesome!  I hope Mrs. Caz appreciates high volumes and a good subwoofer more than Mrs Cookinbob =)
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Must...resist.... reading this thread.  Giving me way too many ideas for upgrades. :grin: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Man...only 35k.  Totally doing it!! =)
    Don't forget about the cheap rate of $500 to rent for 24 hours.

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL