Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For the geeks!

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:

Yeah, seeing how grossly over budget I am, I felt the Emotiva UPA-200 was fairly priced at $299. 125w at 8ohms is more than enough for my set up. I'm actually going to use the Emotiva to power my mains and will use the AVR to power the other 9 channels.

I now will be running 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos or 11.1 DTS Neo:X.

The room is going to be pretty cray cray. I do think I need some acoustic panels to cut the echo down the road. We will see.

I'll be in Houston in 2 weeks. Will you have it finished by then? ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DMW said:

cazzy said:

Yeah, seeing how grossly over budget I am, I felt the Emotiva UPA-200 was fairly priced at $299. 125w at 8ohms is more than enough for my set up. I'm actually going to use the Emotiva to power my mains and will use the AVR to power the other 9 channels.

The room is going to be pretty cray cray. I do think I need some acoustic panels to cut the echo down the road. We will see.

Lol...I don't know. I will get a ETA tomorrow about my screen. My projector won't arrive till 2/17. The weekend of 2/20 would be amazing. I just want it there before the 27th as my daughter is having a surprise sleepover for her birthday. It will make it much easier to entertain 4 teenagers. The next day, I'm taking them to a Pierce the Veil concert. I'm not excited for the concert, but I'm through the roof knowing that this will be a birthday she'll never forget. I've secretly got permission from her friend's parents to steal them for the weekend so her best friends can be with her during her first concert. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice @cazzy she might even be okay being seen with you for that one...j/k

Greensboro, NC
  • DMW
    Options
    cazzy said:

DMW said:

cazzy said:

Lol...I don't know. I will get a ETA tomorrow about my screen. My projector won't arrive till 2/17. The weekend of 2/20 would be amazing. I just want it there before the 27th as my daughter is having a surprise sleepover for her birthday. It will make it much easier to entertain 4 teenagers. The next day, I'm taking them to a Pierce the Veil concert. I'm not excited for the concert, but I'm through the roof knowing that this will be a birthday she'll never forget. I've secretly got permission from her friend's parents to steal them for the weekend so her best friends can be with her during her first concert. :D
    Dude, that's an awesome birthday plan. My daughter turns 13 on the 27th.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    very cool @cazzy you'll be a hero for sure
  • cazzy
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Nice @cazzy she might even be okay being seen with you for that one...j/k

That is true. She will be 16 and I'm totally not cool to her. I have a feeling that will change when her friends see her dad is a big kid with lots of toys. Plus, I'm going to feed them very well!

Like most teens her age...She usally can't wait to get inside her bubble...I mean room.
  • cazzy
    Options
    DMW said:

cazzy said:

DMW said:

cazzy said:

Dude, that's an awesome birthday plan. My daughter turns 13 on the 27th.
    Nice...hers is on the 6th. She is oblivious so I'm going to try and hide them in the back seat for the first 20 minutes of our drive to Houston. I'd love to make it to Buc-ee's but they might hate me if I did that. Lol
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    cazzy said:

I don't think you will regret that purchase, besides you should be able to get over half the price down the road if you wanted to unload it. Are you going to be doing some testing to see where you need panels and which type? I'm pretty sure I just listened to a podcast that was raving about a new acoustic panel company that had great prices, I may be able to find it and pass on the company name if you are interested
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

I don't think you will regret that purchase, besides you should be able to get over half the price down the road if you wanted to unload it. Are you going to be doing some testing to see where you need panels and which type? I'm pretty sure I just listened to a podcast that was raving about a new acoustic panel company that had great prices, I may be able to find it and pass on the company name if you are interested
    For sure. I'd love for you to do that. One place I was looking at was GIK Acoustics...which seems reasonable. Ultimately, I'd like to get a walk through and be told what I need. Magnolia uses acoustic designs, who will make a 3d rendering of the room. I think I will do a walk through for that and take a real long look at their recommendations. Lol
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    DMW said:

cazzy said:

Dude... take a number and get in line :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    The dealer i have is a sound engineer and does those types of measurements and puts a package together. You may be able to find someone like that aswell. I have not built a HT myself (yet) but the general consensus says that proper room treatments will go further than spending money on high end equipment. I will do my best to get that company name, there is probably about 6 hours or so of podcast to go through, I need to re-listen to them anyway. I am working 4 night shifts starting Monday, I will have lots of time to do some research
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ^^^^+100

Proper room treatments and speaker/sub placement can make or break your experience. Make sure you get good recommendations see their work before you use an installer. There are as many hacks as good guys.

You can get a few good tools and do the setups yourself. If you are interested I can send you some good resources. Be fore warned though it is a long deep dark rabbit hole!

I also know of a guy who will fly to your place and do all the planning and install but his theaters are usually $50k plus.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nice cable management. That's a lot better than some the cell sites I have been on. Mine is a rats nest and need to make it neater, but am waiting tell I build walls for my home theater in the basement. My main area to watch is our leaving room which is 18'x20' for the main viewing room and with the open concept it is 26'x40' to the kitchen roughly. My AV preamplifier is ab Integra DTR-80.2, cheep Sony Blue Ray 3D DVD player, Marantz 301 DVD player, Google Fiber TV box, 4 head VCR and power comes from 5 Marantz mono blocks. I watch it all through a 7 year old 60" Sony rear projection TV. It works and wife won't let me replace it. Sound comes for 2 Klipsch KPS-400's with built-in 12" 300 watt subs. Matching center and Klipsch 10" ceiling mounted surounds. I have another system in the basement that I will us when ever I get a 1080p projector. I need to build the room first. I have been into the AV stuff since about 1990 when I bought my first Lazerdisk player. I have 2 of these.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options

^^^^+100

Proper room treatments and speaker/sub placement can make or break your experience. Make sure you get good recommendations see their work before you use an installer. There are as many hacks as good guys.

You can get a few good tools and do the setups yourself. If you are interested I can send you some good resources. Be fore warned though it is a long deep dark rabbit hole!

I also know of a guy who will fly to your place and do all the planning and install but his theaters are usually $50k plus.

Yes please, I like rabbit holes!     :D
  • cazzy
    Options

Nice cable management. That's a lot better than some the cell sites I have been on. Mine is a rats nest and need to make it neater, but am waiting tell I build walls for my home theater in the basement. My main area to watch is our leaving room which is 18'x20' for the main viewing room and with the open concept it is 26'x40' to the kitchen roughly. My AV preamplifier is ab Integra DTR-80.2, cheep Sony Blue Ray 3D DVD player, Marantz 301 DVD player, Google Fiber TV box, 4 head VCR and power comes from 5 Marantz mono blocks. I watch it all through a 7 year old 60" Sony rear projection TV. It works and wife won't let me replace it. Sound comes for 2 Klipsch KPS-400's with built-in 12" 300 watt subs. Matching center and Klipsch 10" ceiling mounted surounds. I have another system in the basement that I will us when ever I get a 1080p projector. I need to build the room first. I have been into the AV stuff since about 1990 when I bought my first Lazerdisk player. I have 2 of these.

Cell sites?  

Good stuff man!  I would love to have a basement.   =P~

Those Klipsch will last you forever!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cazzy said:

Yes please, I like rabbit holes!    :D

Will do. I'll find all my links and contacts and send your way. Will be tomorrow sometime.

Its a lot of fun. The audio difference from a properly setup system is amazing.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    I can't afford any of this, but I have been following!!
    ;)
  • cazzy
    Options
    Getting close! Projector and screen get installed in 36 hours!!!! :D:D:D

Front wall
    imageimage

Back wall
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looking good cazzy

Greensboro, NC
  • DMW
    Options
    Looks like it is shaping up to be a nice space. My hotel is 42 minutes from your house, thanks for embedding the GPS coordinates. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bigalsworth
    Options
    Lookin good
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Awesome!
  • cazzy
    Options
    DMW said:

Looks like it is shaping up to be a nice space. My hotel is 42 minutes from your house, thanks for embedding the GPS coordinates. :D

Thanks for the reminder to disable geotagging! SMH
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    That recession might allow you to put the speakers behind the screen with some diffusers in front of them. Have you found out anything about room treatments yet?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• cazzy
    Options

That recession might allow you to put the speakers behind the screen with some diffusers in front of them. Have you found out anything about room treatments yet?

Do to the throw and screen size...unless I mount in wall speakers, behind the screen isn't an option. I will be at 115" and viewing from 11 feet. It's 4k though, so being close inst more acceptable than it would be for 1080p.

I will just accept that speaker placement won't be THX spec. I'm doing the best with what I got.

I spoke with a rep at GIK Acoustics and will send them pics and measurements once everything is up. He kinda lectured me about the screen size, but as mentioned about...doing the best with what I got.

My next house will have a custom theater and acouatics will be where I start.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You may have mentioned this before but what are the room dimensions? I think thx certified is a good goal but over rated, you will be able to get a fantastic home experience and not meet many of their requirements. There are even many excellent pre/pros and AVRs that are not certified by do as good or dare I say better job than some that are

Edit: /endrant
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• cazzy
    edited February 2015
    Options

You may have mentioned this before but what are the room dimensions? I think thx certified is a good goal but over rated, you will be able to get a fantastic home experience and not meet many of their requirements. There are even many excellent pre/pros and AVRs that are not certified by do as good or dare I say better job than some that are

Edit: /endrant

15x12

Running 7.1.4

Oh, I agree. While it's not going to be perfect, I think I'm going to love it!

• bigalsworth
    Options
    I am super pumped for atmos and can't wait until I have it in my home, but its probably 5 years out for me
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    THX certified is over rated. Most theaters are so far out of spec it isn't funny.

The audio in my room with very modest gear is better than all but 1 theater near me and only 3 screens on that theater are better. Plus my audio sweet spot is where I sit. Theaters all seem to have a null in the best seating position for seeing the screen.
  • cazzy
    Options

THX certified is over rated. Most theaters are so far out of spec it isn't funny.

The audio in my room with very modest gear is better than all but 1 theater near me and only 3 screens on that theater are better. Plus my audio sweet spot is where I sit. Theaters all seem to have a null in the best seating position for seeing the screen.

I get that. My biggest issue is my mains are too wide. My rear sound stage is a tad higher than what Atmos prefers so, I'm going to do top middle and front heights for my in ceiling speakers. I'm essentially just adding the additional speakers where its lacking.

I don't really care about THX, but it is a good starting point. At the end of the day....I really only care about my seat too!! :D