Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow...totally different lump

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Horseflesh, do you not have a Walmart in your town? You can buy RO all day long there.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Horseflesh - like Aviator says, Wally World has RO in the red bag, $6.58 for an #8. 

Lump is not a rocket science, I have had bags of WGWW(1)/RO/BGE and others that were really good and really bad. 
    I picked up 6 bags of Basque's Sugar Maple at Lowe's and it is excellent, nice smell and flavour. The last 10 bags of RO have also been very good. 
    It varies, we never see Ozark, so cannot comment but the others are usually good, so I buy on price, RO is the choice, most of the time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Restaurant Depot is in Seattle you can get great deals on RO there. Around $10/20lb need either a sales tax# or KCBS membership to shop. Also grat deals on primals & spices.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    No Walmart nearby, no.

Restaurant Depot used to carry RO, but I have not seen it there in ages. All they have is mesquite. If you have seen it there recently, that is great news, I live about a mile away from one.
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48

I have gone way left field and got some boxes of this stuff:

http://www.firebrandcharcoal.com/

I will let you know how it goes. They are looking for a distributor in the states but it could be a dud.

• carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    I bought my first bag of Royal Oak at walmart Saturday.  Did 2 cooks so far it burns good but takes longer than BGE brand when it lights.
  • I've used Cowboy, but not in an Egg or other ceramic grill as I found the pieces to be too small and would easily clog. I do like the flavor of Cowboy and the price is quite appealing to me as well (16 dollars for a 20 pound bag at my local ACE). WGWW is what I use pretty much exclusively as I like the flavor, the size of the chunks, and the price (20 dollars for a 20 pound bag). I can't justify the cost of BGE as the lowest I can get it for is 32 dollars a bag here. I just picked up 7 bags of WGWW, and plan on buying more when they get their pallet for "grilling season". I'm also planning on picking up some Real Montana Charcoal fairly soon, but am waiting to see what varieties they have available. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Stubbs is my new favorite. They have it at Costco for $16.99 for a 34 pound bag.  I finished my first bag of it yesterday.  I've used it in my Egg, my firepit and my smoker.  All good in all locations.  Good size chunks, relatively little dust in the bottom of the bag (and no extraneous additions like rocks), minimal sparks, lights fine, cooks well, etc.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• I've used Cowboy, but not in an Egg or other ceramic grill as I found the pieces to be too small and would easily clog. I do like the flavor of Cowboy and the price is quite appealing to me as well (16 dollars for a 20 pound bag at my local ACE). WGWW is what I use pretty much exclusively as I like the flavor, the size of the chunks, and the price (20 dollars for a 20 pound bag). I can't justify the cost of BGE as the lowest I can get it for is 32 dollars a bag here. I just picked up 7 bags of WGWW, and plan on buying more when they get their pallet for "grilling season". I'm also planning on picking up some Real Montana Charcoal fairly soon, but am waiting to see what varieties they have available. 
    I just picked up Cowboy at Lowes, 20lbs for $13.xx   I bought the RO at wally world and the chunks were way to small... Might as well have used briquettes..
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    LDR said:

As far as I know, the only place Ozark Oak moves at $5/bag is at Harps grocery stores in Arkansas.  Ozark Oak is out of northern Arkansas, but Harps is still the only place to find it under $10.  I recently saw somewhere that if you go to the plant in Centerville, you can get it at $3.89 a bag.

I just now noticed that Harps also has locations in southern Missouri and eastern Oklahoma.  There's also one in Oklahoma City.  If anybody's near one of those sites, you might let the forum know if those stores have it at the better price.

http://www.harpsfood.com/StoreLocator/Store_S.las?-token.S=CF2T9REC7280578P7ee20D32OioN6L5113028B%7C19940%7C1002251344%7C%7C%7C

I looked at the map and the Oklahoma City one is actually in Moore on the map, but has a Grove address. I'm going to drive to Moore to check it out incase it was a typo. But I think I will have to plan a trip to the Tulsa area to see if it is as cheap as in Arkansas. I will post my findings. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Lump can turn up in some "different" venues.  A couple of years ago, I was looking for Wicked Good.  Checked the WG site and found a near-local Southern Indiana distributor.  Went to pick some up and turns out they stock Ozark Oak as well-and yes it's the good 'ol $1/# but beats shipping it in. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Where at in Southern Indiana? I am just on the other side of the river in Ky

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Place called Charcoal and More in Sellersburg, IN (I-65 @ exit #9)-here's the web site-BTW-always call to make sure they have what you want (always been in stock when I call):

http://charcoalandmore.com/ 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Foghorn, if you happen to have your Costco receipt handy could you post the SKU number for the Stubb's lump? I'd like to inquire at my Costco and that will make it a lot easier.
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    ACE has been out of WGWW for several days. I called my local franchise and was told the sku wasn't even in their system anymore... I keep looking on the corporate Website but alas, Wicked Good is nowhere to be found. Anybody know what the deal is with WGWW and ACE?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • LDR said:

As far as I know, the only place Ozark Oak moves at $5/bag is at Harps grocery stores in Arkansas.  Ozark Oak is out of northern Arkansas, but Harps is still the only place to find it under $10.  I recently saw somewhere that if you go to the plant in Centerville, you can get it at $3.89 a bag.

I just now noticed that Harps also has locations in southern Missouri and eastern Oklahoma.  There's also one in Oklahoma City.  If anybody's near one of those sites, you might let the forum know if those stores have it at the better price.

http://www.harpsfood.com/StoreLocator/Store_S.las?-token.S=CF2T9REC7280578P7ee20D32OioN6L5113028B%7C19940%7C1002251344%7C%7C%7C

I am in Oklahoma City, but did not see a store on OKC listed on their site.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • I only have experience with Wicked Good WW and the Royal Oak.  IMO, Wicked Good lasts a bit longer, but not enough to make up for the significant increase in price that my local guy charges for it compared to Royal Oak (about 70% more).  the Wicket Good also takes longer to light, which is my main gripe with it.  I don't do enough low and slows that it's worth it to me - not to mention, the Royal Oak does those just fine - I do a lot of steak and chicken so I'm more interested in the convenience of getting up and going quicker (i.e. lit and up to temp).
  • Found Wicked Good at Ace in Moore, OK today. My wife says you all are a bad influence, but doesn't complain about the food!
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Been a while since I started this thread - appreciate all the opinions. In the meantime I've continued to use my first bag of WGWW and it's been great. I'm getting three or our cooks out of a bowl of this vs only one out of the tiny lumps in the BGE bag I tried first. It seems to take longer to get burning good than the BGE did, but it's paid off big time in terms of how long it lasts and how little ash it produces. It's going to be a major buzz kill if I show up at Ace this weekend and find it gone!
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    for $40 today I got 2 bags of RO at rest depot & 1 bag of wgww. Will see which $20 turns out to be the better deal.
  • ddegger
    Excellent - come back to this thread and let us know!
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    You know, seems everyone has had a bad experience with Cowboy, but for me, it's served me well - both with long and short cooks. <Occasionally>, I have found a rock or two (size of a quarter) in a bag but that's about it. BGE brand has gone downhill over the years so I don't bother with it. Cowboy is available and relatively inexpensive. Could it be a regional packaging/manufacturing thing? I guess I should give the others a try, just a bit pricey.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • I've used Cowboy and didn't have any bad experiences.  I can get RO a little cheaper in my area, so that's been my go to.  I did just get some WW from Ace (ordered three weeks ago) and am eggcited to check it out to see what all the fuss is about.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Costco still has a 34 lb bag of Stubbs for $17. Decent lump, great price. I'll seek others after they stop carrying it.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

I just exchanged emails with Lee at Wicked Good, they are having negotiations with Ace hardware now and should have an answer by next Friday. I like the ACE convenience.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• ddegger
    Great news on the Wicked Good at Ace

We have BJs Wholesale here and they have Frontier Lump - anyone ever hear of that?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    GQuiz said:
    Costco still has a 34 lb bag of Stubbs for $17. Decent lump, great price. I'll seek others after they stop carrying it.
    I found, and ought, but didn't yet open a bag of Stubbs from the Costco in Houston. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Is the El Diablo mesquite lump from Mexico a disaster?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I was using Cowboy for a long time, but tried Weekend warrior and the price is about $10 to $8 more per bag pending if Cowboy is on sale, but I think overall Weekend Warrior is just a better lump. The Cowboy lump seems to have an odd odor and just burn faster. Weekend Warrior gives big chunks, cooks hotter I think, seems to last longer just more expensive but I think it is worth it.

I can only find Lump charcoal in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area at Ace Hardware so that's where I get it. They stock of course Cowboy and Weekend Warrior and BGE but that's a rip off at $25/bag.