Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mangrates

eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I asked on the other site and got a couple of opinions but no first hand info.. Does anybody use the mangrates? Would like pros and cons if anybody has them.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    I used them on an open grill in a restaurant and couldnt believe the taste difference between the stock grates and the mangrates, They are awesome and i cant wait to try thme on the BGE.
  • Boomer
    theyre these grates that go over any grill, whatever you grill on it will taste like a 5 star steakhouse or even better than a steakhouse for that matter, i cant wait to try them on the BGE. its been cold lately and will wait till next weekend to try them, i know they're gonna be a HIT!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    http://www.mangrate.com/ I don't own a set so I can't really comment on them.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Would they be better than say a regular cast iron grill replacement??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Boomer
    smokesniffer, Dont waste your time or $ on a Cast iron grill, get these, they are KILLER, trust me, your grillings will be at a new level when you use these...
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Okie Dokie, I will look into them. Thank you.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • I don't see why these would be an improvement.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    look no better than cast iron to me other than they catch grease.  plus 2 grates for around 80 that is over 2x what i paid for my cast iron grid and it has more surface are.
  • Boomer
    Gentlemen and Ladies, 
    Call Justin direct @ 703-459-9738 and let him know that youre one of the Eggheads/Eggers and he will have a different price for us. I am already getting Restaurants to use these and the meats are coming out even better than they were before the Mangrates... 
    Im not kidding you guys, These make a world of difference in taste and even more, in the Presentation when the food comes off of the grill.
  • The name cracks me up. Makes me think of the "manziere" from Seinfeld.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited January 2013

A gimmick, even the cheesy name.  They do look like a joy to keep clean and seasoned. 

No desire to go CI for a grid.  If I did, it would be Craycort.

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grates-for-weber-charcoal-grills/cast-iron-grate-for-18-5-grills.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Look very similar to Grillgrates with the exception of being cast iron instead of aluminum.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Boomer
    someone will purchase these and will wonder how they thought they were grilling at their optimum before the Mangrates... 
    LOL!
  • Boomer said:

Gentlemen and Ladies, 
    Call Justin direct @ 703-459-9738 and let him know that youre one of the Eggheads/Eggers and he will have a different price for us. I am already getting Restaurants to use these and the meats are coming out even better than they were before the Mangrates... 
    Im not kidding you guys, These make a world of difference in taste and even more, in the Presentation when the food comes off of the grill.
    Boomer, do you work for mangrates or something? Why are you getting restaurants to use these?

"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • I think Boomer works for the company, wish he would just come out and say it.  It's like reading a phony Amazon review.  

They should function very similarly to aluminum GrillGrates (got on a Groupon special, WooHoo).  The purpose is basically the same, flare-up protection, different kinds of heat than just natural convection, maybe better grill marks.

I love cast iron, but don't need it for grates really.  It has a greater mass and heat capacity, so will take longer to heat up and then stay hot for longer.  With an egg, we have NO problems with it staying hot, but I want to be able to cook sooner and change my temps faster.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136

I just don't buy the fact that they will impart a better flavor to my meat, it may help in the grill mark but I don't need to spend 80.00 for grill marks.

• Yeah, I think we got sucked into an infomercial.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    If you order in the next 15 minutes...receive not one, but TWO mangrates for the price of one!!!  Operators are standing by.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Are we to believe that meat grills better and tastier on these cast iron grates than any other cast iron grate in the world? They must be magic cast iron grates. They must have a magic seasoning or something. I am sure they work fine. I am also sure that the round cast iron grate from BGE works equally as well and is an exact fit for your egg.
  • Years ago, wasn't there a comic strip called "Mangrates the Magnificent"?  I think he was a magician.

Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I don't use CI as (IMO) I am fine w/o the grill marks and not interested in the weight. This appears to be the same as several other items sold. I will just keep spending all my extra money on lump.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hmm feller must work for the company. Sniffed him out. Flag his comments so we can get this junk out of here

XLBGE 
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    So annoying. If you work for the company, just say so.we are a friendly but serious group. Please don't try to fool the group. It is insulting and it will backfire on you.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I thought it was a movie "The Mangrificent Seven" 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,129
    He's been a member for years.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Mangrates, geez the name is even incorrect. Grates hold up the charcoal, grids are what you cook on, should have been named Mangrids....
    Obviously named by someone who knew little about grilling. 

The CI grid will hold the heat to provide nice grid marks on food. Some prefer a total surface browning and not a surface browning with charred (burned) mark patterns. To each his own. 

I like the look of a CI grid diamond so I use my CI grid to reverse sear. Others use the caveman or Trex technique, not better, just different.

I recall an aluminum (I think) version of this for use with gassers, Super-grid?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I got the groupon grill grates they work great for looks and flare ups, puts a nice diamond pattern on a steak. Makes your presentation look good but I couldn't tell a taste difference.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Boomer
    I have been on here for a few years and discovered this grate from a radio commercial. I do not work for Mangrate at all, feel free and call justin and verify that if youd like, 

The restaurants that i frequent are very very good friends of mine and i dont have a problem sending them a token of my appreciation and having them use a grate that make their food taste better than it did before the grates.

I will be using these in a cookoff this year and i know that people will be amazed of the taste and presentation, as i will be grilling beef short ribs soaked a teriyaki glaze topped with fresh pineapple chunks.

I am amazed that NO ONE of us has ever used them, as i said before, call justin and get a better rate than $80.00 or whatever you guys have seen. I am doing it for us, you will See and Taste a Big difference, 

On a side note if im not mistaken, i have read an older ad that, if you werent completely satisfied in 30 days, you could return them. Thats how confident the company is about their product.

Cheers...

• Apparently these are really only $20 and sponsored/hocked by a bunch of comedians for some reason - https://www.mangrate.com/offers/offers.aspx?affiliatesourceId=1&linksourceID=1 I don't see why these would be any better than any other CI grid other than the little grease trap stuff. Don't see how these would change the flavor of meat. Also it still sounds like Boomer is connected to the company somehow.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Boomer
    Justin @ Mangrate has never heard of the eggheadforum.com 
    I mentioned to him that i have been a member for a few years and have a lot of friends that can benefit from his product as i have recently discovered how this elevates the level of my grillings. 
    I have a friend that uses 4 Grates in his restaurant over gas, even the customers notice how well the meats taste and the wow effect that comes along with it.
    i really cant believe that there is no one on the forum that has tried them and can tell you all how well these work, Ask Justin to sell them to you with a money back satisfaction guarantee.