Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets get back on track

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Lately, you can cut the tension with a knife around here.  Due to the drama, I think we're losing some old and new members.  Things have just been getting so heated that it's just boiling over and we have a huge blow up like what happened in the brisket thread or the one with rock.  

We all understand that this is the 1st stop for new eggers because it's the official forum.  Im pointing out the obvious because I want our new members to understand that our tenured members stick around because they enjoy helping folks.  There are other more eggsperienced boards out there, but frankly, this is home for me and I think it is for a few others too.  What I felt welcoming about this site is that I wasn't welcomed with "use the dang search feature".  

New members - 1st and foremost, most peeps are here to help and to share the love for cooking on what brought us here.  Our proud adoration for the Big Green Egg.  Please be patient and try not to get offended if you don't understand the humor or tone used.  Get to know everyone and you will soon be laughing at the inside jokes you may not completely get at 1st glance.  Get to a EggFest and meet some of our members face to face.  That's what I did.  It was a great learning experience and there are really great people out there to meet.  Also, and most importantly, if you don't post pics of your cook, it never happened. :D

Tenured members - With all the new folks coming everyday, we're going to have some negative folks come or some that might be trolls that left on a sour note.  While it's difficult, you must not get into a post war with them.  Why?  1: That's exactly what they want!  2: I'd hate to lose another valued member to some guy having fun with a 2nd or 3rd account.

I think the best we to get us back on track is for us all to get to cooking and post a cook thread this weekend.  I know i'm overdue. lol

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Aren't you overdue for wings??? :)>-  And to your point-once we leave the BGE realm I choose not to participate. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Aren't you overdue for wings??? :)>-  And to your point-once we leave the BGE realm I choose not to participate. 
    The frictionless conduit..........
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Very well said Caz. However, as an old timer, I sometimes resent new folks that come in with an attitude of entitlement. As I posted earlier, it's no skin off of CT's pork butt. Disrespecting Gary is wrong. I told the guy that his questions will be answered but lighten up on the sarcasm. Been doing this a while now and we lost stike causa some attitude from a mutt. That, my friend, is a huge loss.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    I've been called a whole lot worse :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    lousubcap said:
    Aren't you overdue for wings??? :)>-  
    Nah...that's pretty much all i'm known for so I can't make another wing post. lol

I think i'll do a steak cook this weekend. nom nom
  • Well said cazzy.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • cazzy
    Very well said Caz. However, as an old timer, I sometimes resent new folks that come in with an attitude of entitlement. As I posted earlier, it's no skin off of CT's pork butt. Disrespecting Gary is wrong. I told the guy that his questions will be answered but lighten up on the sarcasm. Been doing this a while now and we lost stike causa some attitude from a mutt. That, my friend, is a huge loss.
    I agree...hated losing stike and I'd like to avoid losing another valued member.  
  • lousubcap said:
    I've been called a whole lot worse :)>-
    Me too :))

Seriously though, we could all take a lesson form the Cap. 
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Well stated cazzy i've learned a lot from the members here . its suppose to be fun . and why not steak and wings 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    edited October 2012
    As a new member I have personally felt VERY welcome and have been crazy surprised by all the folks here who genuinely want to help.  I jumped in on the brisket thread to throw my $0.02 in and I quickly wished I had not (guess I was getting a little too confortable).  

The site that you guys have built here is INCREDIBLE and I applaud you for that.  I hope that I can, as I continue to learn, give back and contribute as well (I have been trying :) ).  I find this site aggravatingly addictive.  My wife calls it my 'facebook' (I hate facebook and give her a hard time for spending ANY time on it...but now I find myself spending as much time on here as she does on facebook). 

So I would like to say a very BIG THANK YOU to all the folks, many of them who threw their $0.02 in on the brisket thread, you guys have helped me out tremendously As nerdy as it sounds...egging is becoming a hobby and passion of mine and it is 100% because of this site.  I have guys at work asking for pictures every morning I come in from what I 'egged the night before'.  I love it!  
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• cazzy
    bigphil said:

Well stated cazzy i've learned a lot from the members here . its suppose to be fun . and why not steak and wings 

I have tried my merinade on flank steak. It reminded me of jerky and tasted like meat candy.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Being from the old guard and wishing to share, I resent that some folks here tell me that I should not post a link from the old forum, BUT rather redo it.  10 years and over 300 posts of recipes I choose not to reinvent the wheel.

If a link to any Food Network guru or BBQ-Brethren and several other sites are not commented negatively, why are some folks anti the old guard.  lots of knowledge there.

-
    cha
  • r270ba said:
    As a new member I have personally felt VERY welcome and have been crazy surprised by all the folks here who genuinely want to help.  I jumped in on the brisket thread to throw my $0.02 in and I quickly wished I had not (guess I was getting a little too confortable).  

The site that you guys have built here is INCREDIBLE and I applaud you for that.  I hope that I can, as I continue to learn, give back and contribute as well (I have been trying :) ).  I find this site aggravatingly addictive.  My wife calls it my 'facebook' (I hate facebook and give her a hard time for spending ANY time on it...but now I find myself spending as much time on here as she does on facebook). 

So I would like to say a very BIG THANK YOU to all the folks, many of them who threw their $0.02 in on the brisket thread, you guys have helped me out tremendously As nerdy as it sounds...egging is becoming a hobby and passion of mine and it is 100% because of this site.  I have guys at work asking for pictures every morning I come in from what I 'egged the night before'.  I love it!  
    glad to have you and I never gave it a 2nd thought. :)

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    what sucks is at times tenured members think that they are due some sort of entitlement on a message board.  isnt the first board i have seen that nor will it be the last i am sure
  • cazzy
    I honestly frequent the old site...a ton of information there. I just don't feel I fit in enough to post there.

Why retype a receipe if you don't have to. Keep on keeping on sir! :)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Cazzy, well said. 
    Yes you are known for wings, but what great wings. I used your marinade on chicken on a stick, or as the Greeks call it, souvlaki. It was excellent, or maybe we just like garlic, ginger, soy and red pepper flakes. 
    I was going to make souvlaki, but discovered we had no long grain white rice, so we made up a new menu with you marinade (it was working in the fridge for wings the next day) some twice baked spuds and salad. 
    Only basted once, raised direct, pulled at 160. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    What is the old site?  Someone should post a brief EggHeadForum history for us newbies 
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Little Steven
    cazzy said:
    I honestly frequent the old site...a ton of information there. I just don't feel I fit in enough to post there. Why retype a receipe if you don't have to. Keep on keeping on sir! :)
    Why would you think that man? There are still people there that are happy to help and provide accolades. Great peeps there and some good friends. IMHO the forum will fade away because all the newbs are directed here. I hope beyond hope that any anymosity will be forgotten when that happens

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    greeneggers.com
  • Little Steven
    Hey Steve!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Back at ya, Steve!
  • Cazzy, you are the voice of reason in a wilderness of chaos!  I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't posted any photos because I'm unsure how to go about it.  HOWEVER, I'm now inspired by your rally call and I will consult the I.T. Department (my teenaged daughter).  I'm taking the small on the road to my Mom's.  I'll grab Wilma's camera.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    XLBalco said:
    what sucks is at times tenured members think that they are due some sort of entitlement on a message board.  isnt the first board i have seen that nor will it be the last i am sure
    Have a very nice day!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hashmaker
    Hashmaker Posts: 149
    As a new person here, I'd like to second r270ba's comments. I have learned a tremendous amount from many folks here. I've been made to feel welcome and have been treated with respect. With the small amount of egg knowledge i have, i try to contribute in a positive way. I think this forum is a great thing but there will always be people that just want to stir things up. Some may see this as negative but I like to see the tenured folks here defend themselves and others that have been picked on or harassed by the pot stirrers. In a way, it shows the passion that these folks have about egging. When someone posts a negative, disrespectful response to a thread, they should be called out because there's no need for that. We're here to gain and share knowledge, not beat each other up.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
    \m/
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

THink I missed something.....again. Gonna have to take a second look at those brisket threads to figure it out.

Well said, Cazzy. Everybody go cook something this weekend. I'm starting early this afternoon with 3 racks of ribs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Imagine there's no forumsIt isn't hard to doNothing to kill or die forAnd no religion, too
    Imagine all the EggheadsLiving life in peace
    You, you may say I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you will join usAnd the world will be as one

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Imagine there's no forumsIt isn't hard to doNothing to kill or die forAnd no religion, too
    Imagine all the EggheadsLiving life in peace
    You, you may say I'm a dreamerBut I'm not the only oneI hope someday you will join usAnd the world will be as one

I like!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• cazzy said:
    I agree...hated losing stike and I'd like to avoid losing another valued member.  

ok fine, I'll stay
  • Little Steven
    Thanks!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well said Cazzy. 

I commented the other night to SWMBO that the tension from the election seems to be spilling over to the BGE forum.  Maybe once we get back to good ol' Proctor & Gamble commercials everyone can relax. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC