Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Priscilla @Maverick C/S comes through?!?!!

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends

I emailed Maverick that my probes failed after 6 cooks. Priscilla offered to replace them under warranty. Sounds good! I'll update as events mature.

8-Damien
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478

Same here! I just talked to her Tuesday and she is going to send new probes (temp off 20deg)

Seems like nice people to deal with.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • I've bought my last maverick. I have been through so many probes the past 2 years I could have easily bought a Cyber Q or something similar. I have a new set of probes for my 6 month old E732 that I paid $35 for sitting on my desk.I have 2 E72's sitting in my bbq drawer with faulty probes. Once these go out....and no doubt they will within a few months, I'm moving on.

And BTW-  only use them on low and slow cooks and I never get probes wet. I baby these things and they still are useless after a few months. I've never had one make it a year.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2012

I'm really surprised to hear these stories.  I guess they don't make the probes like they used to.  I've had my ET-73 for over 9 years now and I'm still using the original probes!  I also only use for low and slows but I've never "foiled" them or treated them in any special way.  They just continue to perform.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I'm still on my original probes and have used the 732 at least twice per week since the 6th of March. I did buy an extra set after hearing how many people were having them fail.  The new ones are still sitting in the shipping bag.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I'm really surprised to hear these stories.  I guess they don't make the probes like they used to.  I've had my ET-73 for over 9 years now and I'm still using the original probes!  I also only use for low and slows but I've never "foiled" them or treated them in any special way.  They just continue to perform.

I've heard stories like this on here as well. I just can't get them to last. never gotten over 6 months from any Maverick product. Probably had 5 or 6 over the years. I've foiled, not foiled, nothing made a difference. I wouldn't tell others not to buy them, I'm just done. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited September 2012

I'm really surprised to hear these stories.  I guess they don't make the probes like they used to.  I've had my ET-73 for over 9 years now and I'm still using the original probes!  I also only use for low and slows but I've never "foiled" them or treated them in any special way.  They just continue to perform.

I've heard stories like this on here as well. I just can't get them to last. never gotten over 6 months from any Maverick product. Probably had 5 or 6 over the years. I've foiled, not foiled, nothing made a difference. I wouldn't tell others not to buy them, I'm just done. 

I don't blame you with the experience you've had.  Only think that makes sense is that the probes were built a whole lot better "back in the old days".

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I'm really surprised to hear these stories.  I guess they don't make the probes like they used to.  I've had my ET-73 for over 9 years now and I'm still using the original probes!  I also only use for low and slows but I've never "foiled" them or treated them in any special way.  They just continue to perform.

I don't blame you with the experience you've had.  Only think that makes sense is that the probes were built a whole lot better "back in the old days".

Probably but I've been using them for 7-8 years and have never had any luck
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I just got a maverick 732 and will be sending it back.  Probes don't register when plugged in, or register for a few seconds and lose their connection, no matter how hard I push them in.  One probe is dead as it reads HHH when it does give a reading.  Hopefully the next unit will be better. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I know guys who have lost their pit probe due to high heat, but never heard of anyone losing it after lows and slows. That being said, the pit probe must be place over a leg of the setter/brick to protect it from direct burning lump. 

Mine is only 3 months old, replacing an old Weber, hope the quick response to replace probes is not an indication that Maverick knows they have a problem. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I know guys who have lost their pit probe due to high heat, but never heard of anyone losing it after lows and slows. That being said, the pit probe must be place over a leg of the setter/brick to protect it from direct burning lump. 

Mine is only 3 months old, replacing an old Weber, hope the quick response to replace probes is not an indication that Maverick knows they have a problem. 
    I never leave mine exposed to but if you look at the heat rating of the E732, it's like 550 degrees or setup g like that. I've never had mine over 300. My food probe is out on this one but I've had both probes got out on every unit I have had so far.

Whaaaaaa! (god, i read that and I sound like such a whiner)

Carry on- Centex

• snip.
     Whaaaaaa! (god, i read that and I sound like such a whiner) Carry on- Centex
    Hey, get back to that Chuck, and yes you sounded like a whiner....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • piney
    I just got my new replacement pit probe from Maverick. I have a 732 (junk) both probes have been replaced and I, like Cen-Tex will not buy a "made in China" Maverick unit again. Priscilla is a wonderful c/s person tries to do what is right but, the product is junk.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney said:
    I just got my new replacement pit probe from Maverick. I have a 732 (junk) both probes have been replaced and I, like Cen-Tex will not buy a "made in China" Maverick unit again. Priscilla is a wonderful c/s person tries to do what is right but, the product is junk.

I buy stuff made in china all the time (and pay for my house with stuff made in china too). It's a big world out there.............
  • piney
    Cen-Tex I didn't mean to sound like you said anything about "made in China" I just think the quality should match the price. If I pay for quality I expect it such as BGE
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney said:
    Cen-Tex I didn't mean to sound like you said anything about "made in China" I just think the quality should match the price. If I pay for quality I expect it such as BGE

No worries and no offense taken. I agree with you on the price/quality thing. Just saying it's a big world out there. i do biz in over 100 countries so I see things a bit different than some.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Well - the probes are in the mail.  Thank you Maverick and Priscilla...

This wasn't so much meant to be a thread of how the Mav had failed.  Everything fails over time.  it was more a thread of how a company impressed me with their level of customer service.  Priscilla volunteered a replacement without asking for the old probes, or even so much as a receipt of purchase to confirm the date.  Your experiences on quality aside, this is some pretty good customer service and standing behind your product.  I was impressed.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Probes arrived yesterday.  Very satisfied.  Going to test them all in boiling water tomorrow to make sure they all work and archive the good ones for the next low and slow...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Amazon sent me a new maverick and this one seems to work.  The probes connect to the transmitter and the unit reads them both.  Probes read a bit high, but I have that problem with non-remote unit too.  Hope to give it a real test next weekend.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.