Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It has to end!

Options
The winter... it has to end.

In the meantime, I'm barbecuing some pulled pork for dinner tonight.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It is just getting started, isn't it? Ran the lawn mower over the backyard last Wednesday, "vacuumed" up the fir and cedar branches. The snow is gone (for now) and folks are not fighting over free salt anymore, life is good. 
    Enjoy the PP. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It is just getting started, isn't it? Ran the lawn mower over the backyard last Wednesday, "vacuumed" up the fir and cedar branches. The snow is gone (for now) and folks are not fighting over free salt anymore, life is good. 
    Enjoy the PP. 
    ~2 more months to go

Not sure what this "winter" you speak of is.  It's 55 and sunny here today.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • paqman
    Options
    The cat agrees

Options
    Not sure what this "winter" you speak of is.  It's 55 and sunny here today.
    75 here today 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Yeah f that white stuff. I'm in flip flops but it's cool and windy here today. 

Kudos for cookin despite the weather. I find that to be a trademark of egg owners, no doubt 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I hear you @paqman! I was just recently able to liberate my Large from its icy encasement and it was a real treat to use it after several months of hibernation. For me, the MM allows for grilling under my covered front porch during the long months of heavy snow. Going to do salmon filets tonight, 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Yes winter has even reach us down here.  It a numbingly cold 55º outside, with rain.  I have a pork shoulder slow roasting in the kitchen oven today instead of on the egg - needed a little heat to help warm up the house.  I'm not even sure if the house heater works!
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'd like winter to start personally.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• paqman
    Options
    The temperature is not that bad.  Currently around 30F (which is fairly warm for this time of the year).  It's the snow and lack of sun...

Options
    It is coming along nicely - 175F

Acn said:
    I'd like winter to start personally.  
    Agreed
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Yes winter has even reach us down here.  It a numbingly cold 55º outside, with rain.  I have a pork shoulder slow roasting in the kitchen oven today instead of on the egg - needed a little heat to help warm up the house.  I'm not even sure if the house heater works!
    You've been down here too long. :smiley:

Doors and windows were open all day today - was so pleasant.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    The suffering is real.  Needed jeans this morning.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Not to bad outside
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    paqman said:
    The temperature is not that bad.  Currently around 30F (which is fairly warm for this time of the year).  It's the snow and lack of sun...

How far North are you? Starting to get noticably lighter here now, although sunny days are in short supply.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Love egging in the snow, especially during a nice steady snowfall like we had here in MI last night.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • paqman
    Options
    @Eoin Just a bit north of Ottawa

@bigalsworth Nice firepit!

@Ozzie_Isaac Not sure where you are and what the temperature like but here with a blue sky like this and any temperature above 70F, I'd be out in the pool.

Options
    This winter has been terrible so far. Most of January has been March weather - temps in the upper 40s/50s with some 60 degree days mixed in.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @paqman How do you like the Crossroads rub? Have you tried Dizzy Dust? If so which do you like best and possible why? 

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Not much of a winter here this year.....so far.  Can count on one hand the number of days below freezing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    So how did the grub turn out?  I've never done my butts sitting in the drip pan like that.  I usually put the drip pan on the plate setter.  Does it affect the bark on the bottom sitting in the pan like that?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    We pretty much had our one week of winter last week.  30s at night and 60s by day.   I am a wimp and ill own up to it...heat is uncomfortable but cold is painful

Back to the 70s this week for the phx open so i domt enjoy golf but do enjoy looking at all the candy up at the tourney!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Sunny and 76 here today.  Fortunately, it's going to be a little warmer tomorrow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    no winter here either, no ice on the big lake in maine and the pond i live on in mass iced out this weekend. all the ice fishing gear is loaded in the truck and theres no place to go :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    @fishlessman drive north and hit Newfound lake in NH. When I lived there there were tons of decent Lakers. 
    Winter has been. Long here in Montana usually we have no snow in the valley but this year it has been on the ground for two months so far !!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    @fishlessman drive north and hit Newfound lake in NH. When I lived there there were tons of decent Lakers. 
    Winter has been. Long here in Montana usually we have no snow in the valley but this year it has been on the ground for two months so far !!
    its a strange year, winni still has a couple open spots, newfound was wide open on the north end a week and a half back.  i have a trip planned for pea porridge in two weeks up near conway and some days over on ossipee lake. not a good year to register the wheeler

Image result for icefishing fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    Options
    six_egg said:
    @paqman How do you like the Crossroads rub? Have you tried Dizzy Dust? If so which do you like best and possible why? 
    @six_egg I like it a lot but SWMBO prefers Dizzy Dust so I rarely use it.  Dizzy Dust has a distinctive flavor profile.  Crossroads has a more traditional southern rub flavor, almost smoky.  That being said, my personal Dizzy Pig favorites are Raging River (Best rub ever IMHO) and Jamaican Firewalk (great on chicken and wings).

Options

So how did the grub turn out?  I've never done my butts sitting in the drip pan like that.  I usually put the drip pan on the plate setter.  Does it affect the bark on the bottom sitting in the pan like that?

@saluki2007 It was great!  The rack kept the butt about 1 inch above the drip pan so the barks was not affected.  The butt never touched the grease in the pan (except the one that I used to baste it).

Options
    @Hntnhrd Wow!  What a view!