Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best cheapo smoker?

Options
20stone
20stone Posts: 1,961
Howdy -

I am running into the boonies for the 4th with my mom. I don't have capacity to haul my LBGE, and am looking for advice for a cheapie for doing a brisket and leaving behind.

Weber kettle?

TIA

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    This sounds sketchy.  Any more details on your plans?

I generally frown on leaving trash in the wilderness.  If you bring it in then you best bring it out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I think he means (I hope) leave it at Mom's house?? If so, then a Weber Kettle should be fine. I'm no brisket expert but I know before I got my eggs the Weber Kettle was working hard most every weekend for me and did great. Good luck.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    There are probably better smokers out there than the kettle, but for a good versatile cooker at a good price I think that would be a good choice.  It might take a little more baby sitting than something like a WSM...but the WSM aren't that cheap any more.  Also for a brisky the size of a kettle will be nice.  Many cheapo smokers are on the small side. 

Here is the first thing I found on smoking on a kettle.  You will probably have to fiddle with the dampers to keep the temp up and likely reload on coals. 
    http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/blog/smoking-on-a-kettle

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If rarely used, the silver without the ash catcher is good, if used more often, the Gold, 18.5" will do for most cooks and you have choice of Jumbo Joe or regular kettle for under $100. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    You can do the Travis method in an oven. Just substitute a bottle of liquid smoke for the real thing.  =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    why brisket, i used to do a leg of lamb with just a fire and a flat rock next to it to place the roast (sear roast caveman style then use flat rock as an indirect setup)   =) no way would i do brisket. most i ever camped with was a cooking grid and a piece of plate that i kept in the back of the truck
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used a Weber kettle plus a Smokenator for a couple of years. It can produce some excellent Q but it is a lot of work. The 22.5 does have a lot of grilling surface and it would be a great option if you just want to grill. However, because you specifically mentioned brisket, for my money the CharGriller Kamado (Akorn) would be the choice. It only costs a little more than a kettle plus a Smokenator and it will hold temps for long times like an egg. You can't get it as hot as an egg for searing because some of the plastic parts start to melt at about 600 degrees but it comes with side shelves, a filling nest, and a swing grate for $299. You'll need to buy a Chargiller platesetter equivalent for $40 to do a proper indirect low and slow. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    why brisket, i used to do a leg of lamb with just a fire and a flat rock next to it to place the roast (sear roast caveman style then use flat rock as an indirect setup)   =) no way would i do brisket. most i ever camped with was a cooking grid and a piece of plate that i kept in the back of the truck
    For the record, I will be cooking in my mom's backyard, not in the wilderness. It does happen to be an 8 hour drive from Houston, though. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @280pounds - look at those cheap New Braunfels stick burners.  They're cheaper than WSMs and you can grill huge amounts on them as well as smoke.  Get lots of fuel.
    Options
    Cook it before you go and warm it up when ready to eat.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Be more specific on where you are going. Another Member might be able to help you out that lives near your Mom.
    This can be a very friendly/helpful place at times.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Webber smokey mountain. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Ah ok, Grill for moms place.  That makes more sense.

I would get a jumbo joe.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @280pounds - look at those cheap New Braunfels stick burners.  They're cheaper than WSMs and you can grill huge amounts on them as well as smoke.  Get lots of fuel.
    he's either in a mini cooper or a vintage BMW 2002. That smoker is bigger than his car.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The WSM is a good idea. That's what I would do if you can fit it.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Pull it off before you leave and hold it in a Yeti or Cambro!

Good advice above.  The New Braunsfels Smokers are good options...they run a couple hundo tho.  In that price range, you can get a WSM.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    If it's just for a one time use, there are several WSM knockoffs out there for less than 100 bucks. Some of them around 50 bucks. I wouldn't pay for a WSM if I was going to abandon it. Go with one of these elcheapos. They will work fine for limited use.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 20stone
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Be more specific on where you are going. Another Member might be able to help you out that lives near your Mom.
    Mom is in Haskell, TX, about an hour N of Abilene. 

I'd be surprised if that is around the corner from anyone, and wouldn't want to hog someone's smoker on the 4th (unless an @SGH or @caliking wannabe with 5 smokers is out there)  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    20stone said:
    I'd be surprised if that is around the corner from anyone, and wouldn't want to hog someone's smoker on the 4th (unless an @SGH or @caliking wannabe with 5 smokers is out there)  
    I would sure loan you one my friend if you were in my area. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 20stone
    Options

cazzy said:
    Now that would have taken some planning. The 44 Farms brisket (minus the uncovered flat portion that we turned into tandoori flat) is still frozen.  I was thawing it in a Yeti in the back of the car, and realized it wouldn't thaw until Labor day in there and pulled it out. 

I also just picked up three racks of Berkie short ribs at Revival Market, just because, and will put some of my goodies from @shucker on them. 

Should be fun.... if I can find a way to cook it all.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Yeah, if you're passing through San Antonio you can have my ProQ. It's like a WSM and travels well. You can take one section out of it and stand it up in a van or SUV. Leave the section at my house or take it with you for multilevel cooking. 

They are now sold under the Naploeon brand. 

http://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/23/ccd/en-ca/apollo-300-charcoal-grill-and-water-smoker

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    SGH said:
    If it's just for a one time use, there are several WSM knockoffs out there for less than 100 bucks. Some of them around 50 bucks. I wouldn't pay for a WSM if I was going to abandon it. Go with one of these elcheapos. They will work fine for limited use.  

I used one of the above, electric for $50, for many years and many briskets, they work fine.  They DO make a noticeable dent in your electric bill.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited July 2015
    Options
    20stone said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Mom is in Haskell, TX, about an hour N of Abilene. 

You never know. Even if I only had one Egg you could still borrow one of the 2 WSM grill in my garage that I have not used in almost 10 years.lol
    Or my Weber 26" kettle. There are lots of us multi grill BBQ freaks out there.Ha...Ha
    Check the closest city on Craigs List...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Botch 1 pound of charcoal is 9000 btu.  3400 btu of electric heat is about $0.10.  You are hard pressed to find lump for $0.25/lb. 
    cazzy said:

Good advice above.  The New Braunsfels Smokers are good options...they run a couple hundo tho.  In that price range, you can get a WSM.
    he's on the road.. This deal is being put together on the fly. Can't wait.

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, if you're passing through San Antonio you can have my ProQ. It's like a WSM and travels well. 

Thanks, but SA is not on the flight path. 

Thanks all for the good advice 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    Yeah, if you're passing through San Antonio you can have my ProQ. It's like a WSM and travels well. 

Thanks, but SA is not on the flight path. 

Thanks all for the good advice 
    Any time. 

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    cazzy said:

he's on the road.. This deal is being put together on the fly. Can't wait.

Ahh...I missed that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @20stone. Get a weber OTG. You can smoke for several hours by setting the lump up in a ring along the circumference and cracking top and bottom vents just a smidge. After the weekend, your may still find the grill useful. The OTG has a thermometer in the lid. You may need to reload with lump midway. Also google bludawg brisket and you'll be good to go. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.