Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boneless leg of lamb

CookinupnorthCookinupnorth Posts: 79
edited April 2012 in Lamb
Does anyone have an opinion on whether direct or indirect works better?
Thnx!
·

Comments

• troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    I have had great success with indirect, and I cook it just like this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1132726/leg-of-lamb#Item_0
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i grill boneless direct.  bone-in (like a roast) indirect
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Thnx guys...goin indirect as it is boneless ...have a bone in one...will do that indirect haha!
    ·
  • neumskineumski Posts: 41
    Ok troutgeek...what is floor in the recipe?
    2nd large Egg Nest
    ·
  • Made boneless stuffed with sundries tomatoes spinach pine nuts feta...directb350 to 140... Was awesome....handful of cherry wood chips
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    guessing 'floor' = 'flour' .

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • guessing 'floor' = 'flour' .

It would sure taste better that way

·
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    Yep. Flour. Floor would be a little too woody.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,361
    I made one this past weekend.  To prep it, I cut off the fat cap and tried to trim away the easy to get tendon covering the meat.  I then butterflied the bigger piece. 

I sent my daughter to get some rosemary and thyme from the garden.  She damn near cut down the rosemary plant so I rolled with it and use a lot.  I put the fresh rosemary and thyme along with a bunch of garlic into a mini chopper and kept the blades spinning until it was pretty fine.   I then tossed in a bit of mint flakes and some black pepper and gave it a quick spin to mix it.

I then put a thin coat of EVOO on the meat and spread the chopped herbs on it.  I cut the meat into 3 pieces to try to make them even for cooking.  I roll them into logs and secure them in 3 places with picture frame wire (string works too).   Set them back in the fridge for a couple hours.

For cooking, I did indirect with a couple pecan chunks to pump out smoke.  They went on at 300* and I stabilized the Egg once it got to 350*, although it crept to 375* by the end of the cook.  The small piece was done in 30 minutes, the biggest piece was over an hour.  pulled them off the grill once they past  135*. The outside picked up a gentle bark and some flavor with the inside being pink and a hint of the spices.  Since I slather on the spices, I scrape them off from the inside when I go to eat it so the flavor is not overpowered. 

The picture below is the small and medium pieces.  The largest was still in the egg.

I really enjoyed this meal.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·