Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless leg of lamb

Cookinupnorth
Cookinupnorth Posts: 95
edited April 2012 in Lamb
Does anyone have an opinion on whether direct or indirect works better?
Thnx!

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I have had great success with indirect, and I cook it just like this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1132726/leg-of-lamb#Item_0
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i grill boneless direct.  bone-in (like a roast) indirect
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thnx guys...goin indirect as it is boneless ...have a bone in one...will do that indirect haha!
  • neumski
    neumski Posts: 41
    Ok troutgeek...what is floor in the recipe?
    2nd large Egg Nest
  • Made boneless stuffed with sundries tomatoes spinach pine nuts feta...directb350 to 140... Was awesome....handful of cherry wood chips
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    guessing 'floor' = 'flour' .

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • guessing 'floor' = 'flour' .

It would sure taste better that way
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Yep. Flour. Floor would be a little too woody.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I made one this past weekend.  To prep it, I cut off the fat cap and tried to trim away the easy to get tendon covering the meat.  I then butterflied the bigger piece. 

I sent my daughter to get some rosemary and thyme from the garden.  She damn near cut down the rosemary plant so I rolled with it and use a lot.  I put the fresh rosemary and thyme along with a bunch of garlic into a mini chopper and kept the blades spinning until it was pretty fine.   I then tossed in a bit of mint flakes and some black pepper and gave it a quick spin to mix it.

I then put a thin coat of EVOO on the meat and spread the chopped herbs on it.  I cut the meat into 3 pieces to try to make them even for cooking.  I roll them into logs and secure them in 3 places with picture frame wire (string works too).   Set them back in the fridge for a couple hours.

For cooking, I did indirect with a couple pecan chunks to pump out smoke.  They went on at 300* and I stabilized the Egg once it got to 350*, although it crept to 375* by the end of the cook.  The small piece was done in 30 minutes, the biggest piece was over an hour.  pulled them off the grill once they past  135*. The outside picked up a gentle bark and some flavor with the inside being pink and a hint of the spices.  Since I slather on the spices, I scrape them off from the inside when I go to eat it so the flavor is not overpowered. 

The picture below is the small and medium pieces.  The largest was still in the egg.

I really enjoyed this meal.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.