Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confused about pork tenderloin temperature...

Roanokesmoke
Roanokesmoke Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking at doing some pork tenderloins tonight (low and slow), and I'm confused about what temperature I should cook them to. The USDA recommends cooking pork to a minimum of 160 degrees, and some suggest a minimum of 170 for pork tenderloins. However, after doing a search here, it seems most of you suggest only cooking pork tenderloins to about 140-150 or so, as anything over that will try it out. Is it safe to eat pork tenderloin at, say, 150, or am I taking a chance of getting sick? Thanks.

Comments

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    I pull them at 143, foil them and let them rest for a few minutes. Very slight touch of pink. They will melt in your mouth. Tric dies at 137 if I remember correctly.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • I cook mine to 150 and I feel that is perfectly safe. If it were not for my wife I would probably use 145.
  • yea but will I have to worry about getting sick? The recommended minimum temp is 170 degrees, whereas you and most others are saying 150 or so. I'm not terribly nervous about the 20 degree difference, but after getting salmonella a few years back I'm very cautious about food poisoning these days.
  • If you're looking for a guarantee that you're not going to get sick I can't help you except to tell you I've never gotten sick from eating pork tenderloin at 145 to 150 degrees. Cooked in the 145 to 150 range pork tenderloin is moist, tender and flavorful. I think that if you cook to 170 you are going to find it to be dry and chewy.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I don't recall ever seeing anyone here posting of being sick using these temps 145) Just be sure your thermometer is correct and take the temp in a couple of place to check for even cooking.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Cooking till it is 145 internal is fine.Just let it rest and tent with foil for ten minutes.Slice and serve.Enjoy.
  • And a good reason to have an accurate 'instant read' thermometer. Like a Thermopen http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

Perhaps Molly Shark is again taking orders that will save you money.

Spring "Instant Hot Flashes" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Back in the old days, pork had significant danger of being infected with trichinosis (spell?). You needed to cook pork above 160 to kill it. Nowadays, trichinosis is almost unknown in pork and thus you now don't need to cook it to 160 for safety reasons. It is now a matter of how you like your pork cooked.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i cook to 145/150

trich is killed at 137 (instantly). Bacteria don't die instantly, you need to cook them longer at lower temps, and less time at higher temps. long story short, though, most are long gone at 145. keep in mind, there's no bacteria IN the meat, it's ON the meat. and surface bacteria will have been exposed to temps over 140 for the entire cook.

pork is also safer than beef (for now).

USDA guidelines are zero-tolerance. they assume worst case, human error, infected meat, bad thermometers, etc. by saying 160, they have built in a considerable safety cushion
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    trichinosis dies at 137 i think. still, grandma cooked it to 180. hahaha

trich is found now in wild game (boars, etc.) or on farms where folks grow their own. you are right about the industry. trichinosis is virtually non-existent.
  • I try to take pork tenderloin off at 140 but usually don't catch it till it's gone past.

Ellen needs all her meat cooked until it is gray
    so she always puts it in the microwave after I serve it.
  • Mr. Wiki says the USDA says that pork has to be cooked to a uniform internal temp of 144 degrees. FWIW. So, you were closer than me, LOL!
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    really? i thought the dictum from on high was that it shall be gray hard dry pork, lest the children get rickets er whatever?

have you gently managed to ratchet the clan down to normal temps? excellent work, young bob-o. nicely done! i took a tip from fishless, and served rare meat by candlelight. no kidding.
  • stike
    you'll hear a lot of folks talking about the USDA... i actually found on the USDA site that they take pains to explain how they arrived at the 'guidelines', and why. they occasionally tip their hand and admit that it's not simply "fours hours between 40 and 140" for everything. which was heartening.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    As everybody said 150 is safe.

However, There really isn't a need to cook a tenderloin low and slow. Tenderloin is an extremely lean piece of meat and will cook quickly. If you are looking for an overnight type cook with tenderloin you won't get much sleep.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    I've been pulling my pork off at 125 and its been beautifully tender and slightly pink. Haven't died or even gotten sick yet. People eat raw fish all the time and that's more scary to me than the pork.
  • Celtic Wolf
    You don't count you eat Haggis!!! :whistle:
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I usually cook mine at about 300 to 320 dome. I pull at 145 internal. Wrap in foil for about 15 minutes. I love these things. They will melt in your mouth.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Yeah, you're probably right on that point . . . but damnation, it sure is good stuff! Where the hell else can you eat liver, heart, testicles, brains, oats, all wrapped up in a sheep's stomach! Oh . . . I forgot . . . if you leave out the stomach, you have scrapple!

On a related point, how the devil can you call yourself "celtic" if you don't eat haggis or something equally tasty?
  • stike
    or "wolf" for that matter.

wolves and dogs don't eat the muscle first, they go right for the entrails.

always kills me when they show people pampering their dog by serving them a tenderloin filet. dog's thinking, "what the heck is this? where's the liver and heart?"
  • Celtic Wolf
    Some Celts have the sense to eat the meat. Which is why you Highlanders have to eat the guts..

@stike.. I love properly prepared Beef Heart. Even like Marrow. When the occasion strikes me I will even eat liver.
  • stike
    "sick" means nothing.

sick from bacteria? well, the bacteria are dead at 140

sick from trichinosis? trich is dead at 137 or so.

so if not those, what are people going to get sick from? sounds like many people don't even know what to be afraid of :)
  • BBQ_Gator
    BBQ_Gator Posts: 9
    The USDA has lowered the recommended safe temperature for whole pork cuts to 145F. However, if you have a Meatrix System you can cook as low as 136F and meet USDA safety standards.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    BBQ_Gator said:
    The USDA has lowered the recommended safe temperature for whole pork cuts to 145F. However, if you have a Meatrix System you can cook as low as 136F and meet USDA safety standards.
    First of all, welcome back. 

Try to pay attention to thread dates. This ones been dead for 12 years 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    or dont cook it at all

Mettbrtchen  Raw Minced Pork Sandwich  German Culture

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I got a taste for raw bacon and raw ground beef as a kid. I'm on Social Insecurity now, so Mama might have been wrong!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    or dont cook it at all

Mettbrtchen  Raw Minced Pork Sandwich  German Culture
    I've had raw fish and veggies, but never beef, pork or chicken. That does look pretty good though. Rare beef too. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    thinking you need to grow up on it, raw beef, lamb, oysters, fish, ceviche etc are fine. raw pork, well i might try it if i were in germany. now japan and raw chicken, well not if im sober =)

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Oh, and I suspect the OP has figured it out by now. Or he's no longer with us.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Oh, and I suspect the OP has figured it out by now. Or he's no longer with us.

i know it was an old post but couldnt believe the temps were so high, i pull a tenderloin off low to mid 130's
    fukahwee maine