Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Steak Char Siu

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
edited July 12 in EggHead Forum
I made bbq pork steaks on July 4th and they were so delicious. I couldn’t get it out of my head that these would make excellent Char Siu. Recipes were not hard to find so I settled on Serious Eats as a safe bet. There are a few things I would tweak but these were also delicious. They make a rub and then dunk in a wet marinade overnight or a few hours if you are pressed for time. As soon as I saw that I thought “the rub is just going fall off in the Marinade (it did) so either add those ingredients to the marinade or smoke it with dry rub and glaze at the end”. I followed the recipe but it does not make sense for me to make a dry rub then marinate it in liquid. 

Either way- it was delicious. Here is the recipe I followed. No matter if you cook it with dry rub or marinade, keep the temps down- there is a lot of sugar in both. 250 seemed to work well with a little char on the edges. 

I temped these at about 180 but was mostly probing for softness all over. Cook took about 5 hours 

We served it with sautéed spinach and sushi rice drizzled with homemade chili oil

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056
    Looks Delicious 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    lkapigian said:
    Looks Delicious 
    It was! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    Always a home run.  Sweet!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,243
    edited July 12
    I was waiting for this to happen ... and it did. Thanks. I've got two pork shoulder steaks, one for this and one for the other one you posted. :) 

Did you cook direct and raised again, like the last one? In the large? 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,042
    Ha!  I will be trying this tomorrow!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    I was waiting for this to happen ... and it did. Thanks. I've got two pork shoulder steaks, one for this and one for the other one you posted. :) 

This one was indirect. Lot of sugar in the marinade (honey) and the “rub” (which all dissolved into the marinade) has a lot of sugar as well. Direct would scorch this one. Keep the temps at or below 250. 

Was just talking with JIC about this: I would probably skip the rub step altogether as it’s not really a rub once you dunk it in liquid marinade. You could see all the 5 spice floating in the marinade as soon as you put the steaks in and all the sugar and salt just immediately dissolve into the marinade. If I did it that way next time, I would just marinate (btw- the longer the better with thick steaks- overnight if possible) and then dust the steaks with the rub once sliced and plated. That would really bring out the flavors of the rub. I think that’s my next experiment. Or maybe add the rub right before you glaze. Let it setup, then glaze it. 

Or just add the rub ingredients directly to the marinade; that’s where it’s all going to end up anyway. 

Hard to believe that step made it through a Serious Eats recipe. This must be a “post Kenji” recipe as I don’t think this process would stand up to scrutiny. The flavors in the rub are great though so I’m going to find a way to incorporate them. I think the dust once sliced and plated is the way to go. Sweet, salty, umami of the 5 spice would be a cool flavor pop and would look cool on the right plate if you are into that kind of thing :). If I did the finishing dust, I would use Malden salt instead of kosher. 

just note that a little 5 spice goes a long way. Start slow with the dust and add according to your liking. 

It’s a good one. Cant wait to see all the spin offs!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker

Get those steaks in the juice tonight!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker

And yes, it was in a large. That’s the only egg I have these days. It was the demo that Little Steven and @Caliking cooked Rogan Josh on at Salado eggfest like 10 years ago. I bought it on the spot and I’ll never sell it. Makes me happy every time I think about Steve (@Caliking is another story). Sold off all the other eggs several years back. I’m down to 1 large, Roccbox, the dishwasher, and open Post Oak fire pit (with the occasional split of mesquite or pecan). Egg still gets 95% of the work but the others all have their place in the rotation. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056

Get those steaks in the juice tonight!
    A FAvorite MEME LoL 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,243
    edited July 13

This one was indirect. Lot of sugar in the marinade (honey) and the “rub” (which all dissolved into the marinade) has a lot of sugar as well. Direct would scorch this one. Keep the temps at or below 250. 

Was just talking with JIC about this: I would probably skip the rub step altogether as it’s not really a rub once you dunk it in liquid marinade. You could see all the 5 spice floating in the marinade as soon as you put the steaks in and all the sugar and salt just immediately dissolve into the marinade. If I did it that way next time, I would just marinate (btw- the longer the better with thick steaks- overnight if possible) and then dust the steaks with the rub once sliced and plated. That would really bring out the flavors of the rub. I think that’s my next experiment. Or maybe add the rub right before you glaze. Let it setup, then glaze it. 

Or just add the rub ingredients directly to the marinade; that’s where it’s all going to end up anyway. 

Hard to believe that step made it through a Serious Eats recipe. This must be a “post Kenji” recipe as I don’t think this process would stand up to scrutiny. The flavors in the rub are great though so I’m going to find a way to incorporate them. I think the dust once sliced and plated is the way to go. Sweet, salty, umami of the 5 spice would be a cool flavor pop and would look cool on the right plate if you are into that kind of thing :). If I did the finishing dust, I would use Malden salt instead of kosher. 

just note that a little 5 spice goes a long way. Start slow with the dust and add according to your liking. 

It’s a good one. Cant wait to see all the spin offs!
    Thanks for the info. The serious eats post looked like it was direct from the pictures, although they could have banked the coals to one side.

I've put rub ingredients into marinades in the past and the result has been a paste. I think i would either marinate and then apply the rub just before the glaze step. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    Another must try, thanks for sharing.
    As for dry rub getting washed by the marinade right away, here's my take... since the dry rub is mostly salt and sugar, I would wait a couple of hours for it to act as dry brine, then add the marinade.

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Another must try, thanks for sharing.
    As for dry rub getting washed by the marinade right away, here's my take... since the dry rub is mostly salt and sugar, I would wait a couple of hours for it to act as dry brine, then add the marinade.

This is exactly what I did last night.  Great minds, natch.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Enjoying your posts, this is no exception, I love that dish and have had it periodically for certain group dinners, here at home. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    Stellar! I haven't been here much recently, so late to the game.

What about injecting the protein with the marinade, then dunking it in for extra oomph? May cure the meat, and make it somewhat "hammy"?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    caliking said:
    Stellar! I haven't been here much recently, so late to the game.

What about injecting the protein with the marinade, then dunking it in for extra oomph? May cure the meat, and make it somewhat "hammy"?
    My approach of letting it sit with the rub on it for several hours in the fridge before dunking it in the marinade seemed to result in pork that was plenty tender and tasty.

I don’t have another variation to compare to yet, but I think this recipe is pretty bulletproof overall.