Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Common Area BGE - Chicken Thighs - proof of good parenting

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 10,017
Visiting our son in Denver. His apartment complex has 2 outdoor common/courtyard areas. One closest to his apartment has 2 gas grills. One furthest away has a LBGE and 2 gas grills. We decided to cook bone-in chicken thighs for Memorial Day. He chose to load up some stuff and travel to the courtyard with the BGE. He’s a good boy. We did the corn on the gasser due to space limitations. He had recently visited KC and bought me some sauces.  We went with Joe’s for the chicken.  The pics are crap but you get the idea.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    Awesome and well raised!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,789
    Great looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,132
    Those thighs look pretty damn tasty. Pretty cool he has a bge at his apartment complex. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,597
    You win the parenting award, regardless of the cook.
    Bonus on the outcome-thighs look perfect!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,812
    edited May 28
    That's awesome! The BGE looks to be in better shape than I might expect for a communal cooker.
    Stillwater, MN
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,815
    ^^^I was thinking the same thing^^^

Great cook and time well spent!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 326
    Foghorn said:
    Visiting our son in Denver. His apartment complex has 2 outdoor common/courtyard areas. One closest to his apartment has 2 gas grills. One furthest away has a LBGE and 2 gas grills. We decided to cook bone-in chicken thighs for Memorial Day. He chose to load up some stuff and travel to the courtyard with the BGE. He’s a good boy. We did the corn on the gasser due to space limitations. He had recently visited KC and bought me some sauces.  We went with Joe’s for the chicken.  The pics are crap but you get the idea.  
    Good looking food=good visit.  In that picture that includes the bbq sauce, is that a Blue Ridge Pottery plate?
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,244
    Nice looking plate of food and the pics are fine. :) 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Foghorn
    Thx all.  I can't speak to the plate.  The BGE looks like it has only been used once or twice.  It is a new apartment complex that has only been open about 6 months and isn't yet fully occupied, but I'm thinking that the apartment crowd is unlikely to have a bunch of people with the patience for charcoal cooking when there are 4 gas grills.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,758
    Throw a rubber snake on the egg grid. It’ll become his own personal egg at the complex. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,596
    Great looking chicken!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    That's the chicken of my youth, and I miss it.  Looks great.

I sure hope nobody comes along and tosses some match light in that egg - such a great thing at an apartment if it's taken care of.
    Not a felon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    I am sure he is a gentleman too. You can tell he was guided correctly in his younger years. His selection of thighs vs wings, revealed so much about this young man, proving his consideration for his father's feelings, (he uses my method and recipe, and did not want his father to feel bad). Just kidding, wanted to make you smile, and say hello to one of the greats of this forum.

I have sat out a batch of thighs to cook tonight on the BGE, and found it fortuitous to see this post from a guy with a chicken wing trophy he bought somewhere j/k.

Hoping all is well and I will be better at keeping in touch. You Rock.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Thanks all. 

With regard to the choice of thighs vs wings, it is fair to say that neither he nor I made that choice.  My brother-in-law (my bride's brother - lives in Massachusetts) has served us chicken thighs on several occasions that have been the only thing my bride likes as much as wings.  And since, as @YukonRon points out, I already have a trophy for cooking wings (that was EARNED, not purchased), my son and I have been in pursuit of mastering "Uncle Jeff's chicken thighs".  (It's important that we distinguish which uncle as both of my brothers-in-law own multiple grills including a kamado and are both very good BBQers).  So, as much as I'd like to take credit, if it weren't for my wife and her brother, I'd probably still be eating boneless, skinless, chicken breasts...

@Legume, I have to admit that I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when I found some lump charcoal in the apartment's BGE - leftover from previous use.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    Score! The apartment company has good taste. 

A few more cooks like this, and he should have no problem making friends there :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.