Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Biggest Loser

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,783
    Options

Cannon rejects Trump bid to toss documents case on claim records were personal property

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    And a Friday summary of CHEETO and the courts:

"New York Attorney General Letitia James requested yesterday that former President Trump’s attorneys or the company issuing his $175 million bond “file a motion to justify the surety” within 10 days. It follows the state’s Supreme Court on Wednesday sending the bond paperwork back to Trump’s legal team for correction without providing any details on the errors. A spokesperson for the Trump Organization said this was “pure harassment,” adding that “the bond is fully collateralized and backed by 100% cash.” A hearing has been set for April 22. Shauneen Miranda reports for Axios.

A federal judge yesterday refused to throw out Trump’s classified documents case, turning aside defense arguments that the Presidential Records Act permitted the former president to retain sensitive records after he left office. The ruling marks the second time in three weeks that U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon has rebuffed defense efforts to derail the case. Cannon’s order, however, kept open the possibility that Trump could still use that argument to defend himself at trial. Eric Tucker reports for AP News; Hannah Rabinowitz, Tierney Sneed, Sara Murray, Jason Morris, and Zachary Cohen report for CNN

The judge overseeing Trump’s Georgia election interference case yesterday rejected his attempt to toss the charges under the First Amendment. Trump and some of his co-defendants argued their charges must be tossed because their efforts to contest the 2020 election comprised constitutionally protected “core political speech.” In a 14-page ruling, Judge Scott McAfee wrote, “Even core political speech addressing matters of public concern is not impenetrable from prosecution if allegedly used to further criminal activity.” McAfee added that only a jury can decide whether the speech at issue was carried out with criminal intent. Ella Lee and Zach Schonfeld report for The Hill."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,235
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Dementing has a poster boy-CHEETO!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Former President Trump said on Saturday that going to jail for violating his gag order in his New York hush money trial would be his “great honor.” Trump said in a post on his social media platform Truth Social, “If this Partisan Hack wants to put me in the ‘clink’ for speaking the open and obvious TRUTH, I will gladly become a Modern Day Nelson Mandela.” Trump’s comments follow Judge Juan Merchan expanding his gag order to stop the former president attacking family members of those involved in his case. Shauneen Miranda reports for Axios.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,951
    Options
    Donald Trump shares bizarre eclipse campaign advert
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    Your new night light?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Your new night light?

just part of the ensuing eclipse, seems fitting.....the end of times, blood baths, beheadings, sacrifices, earthquakes, floods....... ;)

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    I'm sorry..... Joe fell off the bottom of the cliff and can't get up =)

pretty sure the dislike was for saying im sorry =)
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    Options

"A New York appeals court judge yesterday rejected Trump’s bid to delay his April 15 hush money criminal trial. Justice Lizbeth González ruled after an emergency hearing where Trump’s attorneys asked that she postpone the trial indefinitely while they seek a new location. They argued that Trump faces “real potential prejudice” in heavily Democratic Manhattan and that the jury pool has been “polluted” by news coverage of Trump’s other recent cases, including his civil fraud judgment and the E. jean Carroll defamation verdict. Michael R. Sisak, Jake Offenhartz, and Jennifer Peltz report for AP News.

The jury questionnaire in Trump’s upcoming hush money criminal trial was revealedyesterday. The questions range from whether prospective jurors listen to podcasts, to whether they believe Trump should be criminally tried in a state court. Jurors will also be asked about what media they consume and the social media they follow. BBC News reports. 

Special Counsel Jack Smith asked the U.S. Supreme Court to reject Trump’s claims that he is immune from prosecution in the 2020 election case, arguing “no person is above the law.” “The effective functioning of the Presidency does not require that a former President be immune from accountability for these alleged violations of federal criminal law,” Smith wrote in a brief, ahead of the Supreme Court reviewing the case on April 25. A written reply to Smith by Trump legal team’s is due next week. Rebecca Falconer reports for Axios."

• lousubcap
    Options
  • lousubcap
    Options
    From Charles Sykes of The Atlantic:"

"Tom Nichols gave fair warning. In last Thursday’s newsletter, he suggestedthat at least one of the folks who would be sitting in for him this month “will help supply your regular servings of curmudgeonly grousing.” That, I suspect, is me, although compared with Tom, I am a sweet summer child of optimism.

We agree, however, that keeping up with Donald Trump’s 2024 campaign is both “enervating and exhausting.” By bombarding the public with threats, falsehoods, and vulgarity, Tom warns, “Trump and his team are trying to burn out the part of our brains that can discern truth from fiction, right from wrong, good from evil.”

Four decades ago, Neil Postman prophesied an apocalypse of moral idiocy in the age of mass media. “When a population becomes distracted by trivia,” he wrote, in Amusing Ourselves to Death, “when cultural life is redefined as a perpetual round of entertainments, when serious conversation becomes a form of baby-talk, when, in short, a people becomes an audience and their public business a vaudeville act, then a nation finds itself at risk; culture-death is a clear possibility.”

Postman was prophetic, but he couldn’t have had any idea how bad things would get in the age of Trump and Twitter. Faced with Trump’s behavior, America’s norms of decency and truth proved to be far more fragile than many of us imagined. And we don’t have many of those barricades left now, do we?

But the federal judiciary may turn out to be an endangered democracy’s last line of defense. Here again, Trump—who faces 91 felony charges and massive judgments in civil cases for fraud and defamation—is responding with an onslaught of personal attacks and insults, almost daring judges to hold him in contempt for violating the gag orders they have slapped on him. Over the weekend, Trump declared on Truth Social that he was prepared to become “a Modern Day Nelson Mandela” if he was thrown into jail. “It will be my GREAT HONOR.”

In the short run, Trump is trying to delay, disrupt, and discredit the various cases against him. But his attacks are also part of his larger effort to delegitimize the justice system as a whole and to spread fear within the institutions tasked with holding him accountable."

• lousubcap
    Options

For the third day in a row, a New York appeals court yesterday denied a request from former President Trump’s lawyers to delay his upcoming hush money trial. The rejection adds to Trump’s legal losses and increases the likelihood that the trial will start as scheduled on April 15. Jacob Knutson reports for Axios

Former Trump Organization chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg was sentenced to five months in jail yesterday for lying under oath during his testimony in Trump’s civil fraud trial and the investigation that preceded it. Weisselberg pled guilty last month to two felony counts of perjury, with prosecutors alleging he lied about his role in valuing Trump’s Fifth Avenue triplex apartment at three times its actual size. Aaron Katersky and Peter Charalambous report for ABC News.

• lousubcap
    Options
    And this regarding the Baltimore Harbour (nod) project:

April 10, 2024: USACE Releases New Sonar Images

With no update from the Unified Command in three days, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers released some new sonar images showing the underwater wreckage across the main Fort McHenry shipping channel. Linked here):

https://gcaptain.com/baltimore-bridge-salvage-and-wreck-removal-megathread/?subscriber=true&goal=0_

• lousubcap
    Options
    Former President Trump said yesterday that Biden and others were “working overtime to try to illegally intimidate and harass” Judge Aileen Cannon, who is overseeing his classified documents case. “They want her to act like the dishonest, politically biased and conflicted judges in New York, and not like the fair and impartial judge that she is,” Trump wrote on Truth Social yesterday. Trump also attacked U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland and Special Counsel Jack Smith, saying they are part of a “corrupt ploy to ‘play the ref.” Critics have called for Trump-appointed Cannon to be removed from the case, questioning her competence and impartiality. April Rubin reports for Axios.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Food for thought:

"When the trial starts Monday, Trump will finally face accountability

On Monday, barring a legal miracle, the man who thinks so highly of himself that he autographs Bibles will step into a courtroom and become the first former U.S. president to face a jury of his peers in a criminal trial.

He is terrified of that moment. The narcissism at his core has never met accountability.  If he had a lick of confidence, he wouldn’t be paying attorneys – probably with GOP donor money, not his own – to pull every whack-a-doodle legal trick they can muster to delay, delay, delay.

He wouldn’t be spending hours online and at rallies griping and whining and woe-is-me-ing.

He’d be ready, self-assured and eager to clear his name. He’d be tough.

He’s not."

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    A fairly thorough takedown of the current GOP and its fealty to Agent Orange:

https://newrepublic.com/article/180690/trump-mike-johnson-election-denial
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• lousubcap
    Options

"The first ever criminal trial of a former U.S. President begins today as former President Trump’s hush money trial gets underway. Readers may be interested in Just Security Journalism Fellow, Adam Klasfeld’s Daily Dispatches from the Trump Trial Courtroom in New York

Trump took aim on Saturday at two likely witnesses in his hush money trial, testing the boundaries of the gag order aiming to forbid him from making public statements about likely witnesses and jurors. “Has Mark POMERANTZ been prosecuted for his terrible acts in and out of the D.A.’s Office. Has disgraced attorney and felon Michael Cohen been prosecuted for LYING?” Trump posted on Truth Social. Cohen previously worked as Trump’s personal attorney and is likely to be a key witness in the trial, having pleaded guilty in 2018 to charges relating to hush money payments which he said were made “at the direction” of an unnamed 2016 presidential candidate. Cohen is expected to name Trump at the upcoming trial. Rebecca Picciotto reports for CNBC."

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

• HeavyG
    Options
    The judge is not stopping Trumpy from attending Barron's graduation. Trumpy has NEVER attended the graduations of any of his kids.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    The New York Judge overseeing Trump’s hush money trial said yesterday that the former President cannot attend arguments on presidential immunity at the Supreme Court. It came after Judge Juan Merchan earlier delayed a decision on allowing Trump to attend his son Barron’s high school graduation in May. Under New York state law, Trump is required to attend the entirety of his trial, expected to last weeks or months, unless he gets special judicial permission to be absent. Meanwhile, Judge Merchan set an April 23 hearing date over the prosecution’s request that Trump be held in contempt of court for violating his gag order, following a string of attacks made by Trump against people involved in the case. Ella Lee reports for The Hill; Sareen Habeshian reports for Axios.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    It never stops- Cash grab by CHEETO:
     “Trump campaign asks for cut of candidates’ fundraising when they use his name and likeness,”by Alex Isenstadt: “Trump’s campaign has found a new way to press for badly needed cash. … [It] is asking for down-ballot candidates who use his name, image and likeness in fundraising appeals to give at least 5 percent of the proceeds to the campaign.”"
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,625
    Options

A LOT of people don't realize that this case is not about making a "hush-money" payment to someone to keep quiet (which is NOT illegal) but rather that he and his team cooked the books, and possibly used contributed campaign funds to do so; both of which ARE felonies.   

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,695
    Options
    what happens when a Cheeto fan is inspired by @lousubcap?
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    he turns into a caveman fan.
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• HeavyG
    Options

There's a POTUS/FLATUS joke waiting to be made.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,625
    Options
    Maybe vladimir can lend one of his enclosed plexiglass courtroom defendent boxes to the NYC judicial?  
    Dayam that'd be funny!  :rofl:   

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options