Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! - Cooking for 3hrs at an Ace Hardware, need ideas

Options
13»

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Nice! Hope they sold some eggs. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    I think we get spoiled on this forum.  People seemed amazed and genuinely excited.  A bunch of people asked how/what etc. Around here, this food is just everyday type cooks and barely warrants a post.  As tired as I am, it was so much fun and energizing seeing people get excited and their face light up when they try something new!

We forget most people see grill and think: hamburger, hotdogs, special occasion steak.

Wish I had time to make the brownies because I had the mix sitting out and more than a few scoffed at the idea of brownies on a grill 😂
    There’s so much truth in this statement. We definitely spoil our tastebuds. Our standard cook is someone else’s exceptional experience. 

I remember when I served a simple pork tenderloin, properly cooked and seasoned with Pineapple Head. People raved about it. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Thanks for the wrap up post.  Glad you had a great time as you earned it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 378
    Options
    Good job! Looks like a real win.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,177
    Options
    Did find a pulled pork photo before I wrapped and FTC.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,913
    Options
    Such a wonderful outcome, but then why shouldn’t it have been???

I remember the similar  GLOWING feeling at our Peoria Eggfests. Your Father attended one or two of ours before he, like you…beat feet out of IL back to AZ.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,033
    Options
    I think we get spoiled on this forum.  People seemed amazed and genuinely excited.  A bunch of people asked how/what etc. Around here, this food is just everyday type cooks and barely warrants a post.  As tired as I am, it was so much fun and energizing seeing people get excited and their face light up when they try something new!

You are right about this.  I made ABTs for a St Patty’s Day party last weekend.  Showed up to a house well stocked with Shephard’s pie, corned beef, etc.  Put the ABTs down and they disappeared inside of 15 min.  I didn’t even get to try one myself!  Crazy.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    Options
    Simply WOW! For the brownies skeptics wait till they try brownies from the egg with oozing chocolate. How did you like cooking on the Traeger? I have the same PRO 34 with black lid. More importantly, how many egg converts? 
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,689
    Options
    Nice thread @Ozzie_Isaac. Something told me you would not have time for pictures! Hopefully you were able to expense a couple bags of RW.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Well done Ozzie! Never a doubt that you would wow them. The way those tasters felt is how I feel every time I come here and see all of the amazing cooks. I’m a hack so it’s fun seeing the top notch cooks here. 
    Snellville, GA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    1) Very well executed.

2) I totally agree with your "I think we get spoiled on this forum" comment.  The cook I did last weekend for a wedding was subpar for me on some levels (we cooked the mac and cheese too early and too long and it wasn't liquidy/smooth, the brisket rub was probably put on too light - overcompensating for my last brisket cook where it tasted too salty, 2 of the 6 pork shoulders came up a little shy of perfectly done before I had to pull them to serve), but the reviews we got were stuff like "I went to (name a great BBQ place in Austin) the day before and what you served was better".  More importantly, the day after, my wife went to a dinner at the home of a professional caterer who put out a spread to impress the guests and she came home saying "what we cooked was significantly better".  So, I have no doubt that you gave people some bites of food unlike anything they've ever had that wasn't cooked by a pro chef - and maybe better than stuff that was.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,147
    Options
    Lots of great info in this thread - awesome it turned out so well!!

I especially appreciate the “prep” comments. I do lots of family cooks (15 people for Easter type stuff, 50 people for superbowl, etc). My timing is always pretty good! What’s NOT great is my ability to hang and chat with friends and family - I’m always moving, trying to get the product in front of the guests. 

Better prep helps me with that. 

Great recipe suggestions. I’ll look back on this thread often. :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Sounds like a great day! Not surprised in the least it was a hit.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    My friend called me and said everyone liked how well it went and would like me to be their regular event cook. (Every other month)

They want to meet and have a more formal discussion about it!?  They even discussed pay, but that makes me uncomfortable, so they mentioned setting me up with an Ace account and can buy stuff at cost?

I will need to think about it and see what actual expectations are.  I hate to get committed to something I see as a hobby.  Would definitely improve my game a lot and will need to try every recipe in this thread.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That is a big commitment, @RRP might be able to shed some light on this topic. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Maybe you could sponsor it through your current gig and get more @Ozzie_Isaac customers!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,472
    Options
    Great recognition, but remember the situation you offered to salvage.  
    When a hobby becomes work...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Maybe you could sponsor it through your current gig and get more @Ozzie_Isaac customers!
    lousubcap said:
    Great recognition, but remember the situation you offered to salvage.  
    When a hobby becomes work...

Both very true and weighing on me.  Last thing I need is another commitment.  Not enough hours as it is.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,783
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Congrats on a job that was clearly very well done - and good luck with sorting out your life priorities.  It is good to have options.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,568
    Options
    An egghead friend of mine turned his hobby into FT gig as GWN BGE's area rep for many years. IIRC he used to get reimbursed a flat $xxx, to cover food and travelling, for each demo cook in the region on weekends. I believe he left after their ownership change and relocation.
    canuckland
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I’m late to the party and love this thread. It’s wonderful that it was such a success that they want you back regularly. If you seriously talk with them about doing it regularly you should make sure that kid is working that day as your assistant to help you.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    Let us know when you’re ready for round two. We can dig up more ideas.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    Options
    Seems like too much work to do that on the regular. I don’t think you need the money. The new will wear off quickly and you’ll be committed to it. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    He could train the kid for 3 or 4 months. Then the kid could take over and merit a raise.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    He could train the kid for 3 or 4 months. Then the kid could take over and merit a raise.
    I like that idea!  Commit for a few cooks and teach Jace.  The kid was great and I told my friend if I agree I would need him at the cooks.
  • kanye_twitty
    Options
    My friend called me and said everyone liked how well it went and would like me to be their regular event cook. (Every other month)

They want to meet and have a more formal discussion about it!?  They even discussed pay, but that makes me uncomfortable, so they mentioned setting me up with an Ace account and can buy stuff at cost?

I will need to think about it and see what actual expectations are.  I hate to get committed to something I see as a hobby.  Would definitely improve my game a lot and will need to try every recipe in this thread.
    Awesome day right there. I have done this a lot and had a monthly gig at a friends BGE dealership with a cool stadium kitchen for 3 years. He paid a little ($500) and he paid for the groceries but we did it for fun. I would say, that with your lifestyle, don’t commit to a regular gig. It gets old quick and you give up a Saturday you could be shopping for Maybachs or enjoying your family and the fruits of your labors :)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Okay, so I haven't committed to every cook, just the ones that fit my schedule and desire.

But a funny thing happened, my friend did ask me to cook for her baby shower.  She said it will be a big party and first time all sides are meeting.  She has her grilling uncle she needs to contend with, but she really liked the food and wants me to cater it for her.  Most family will be bringing sides and stuff, but she wants the pulled pork sliders like I served at the demo.  LOL.  I just couldn't say no, especially when she said it was an open bar.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,590
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac. I see this getting legs😂 Word of mouth is out!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....