Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Chuckie - how to cook ?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Title says it all.  Thawed without a plan, any ideas / proven recipes to share ??
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Maybe with it being SRF, there is something a little more "high brow" you can do with it.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Sous vide 48 hours @ 132*  pat dry and sear all over, enjoy the most tender "steak" you've ever eaten.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    I only cook chuckies for pulled beef of which there are several options...all of them great.  The recipe I follow is a protracted L&S cook.  FWIW-  
    Search pepper stout beef ( a link above) or Clay Q's pulled beef for starters.  
    However, as @kl8ton notes, you may want to check out the SRF site and see what they have to offer. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    I like them either Sous vide and sear as @scfaf mentioned, but for SRF I’d SPG and rock it like a brisket all the way 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    This is a Wagyu chuck roast, right?  I think I am with @Canugghead on this one.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    The newest Cooks Illus had an interesting technique for chuck roast:
    - Dry-brine, wrapped, overnight
    - Spread oil on surface, add pepper, and sear 3-4 minutes per side in a CI pan
    - Set on wire rack/rimmed pan, then into center of a 225º oven, heat until center hits 115º (med rare) or 125º (medium)
    - Turn oven off, do NOT open the door, and let sit until 130º (med-rare) or 140º (med) 
    - Let rest 15 minutes, and slice

I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my "to-do" list.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:
    The newest Cooks Illus had an interesting technique for chuck roast:
    - Dry-brine, wrapped, overnight
    - Spread oil on surface, add pepper, and sear 3-4 minutes per side in a CI pan
    - Set on wire rack/rimmed pan, then into center of a 225º oven, heat until center hits 115º (med rare) or 125º (medium)
    - Turn oven off, do NOT open the door, and let sit until 130º (med-rare) or 140º (med) 
    - Let rest 15 minutes, and slice

I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my "to-do" list.  

Why would you add pepper before you sear it?
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited February 4
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't; that's what the recipe said to do.

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pot roast! Pot roast Sammie’s afterwards.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Whatever you do.....pics are now required!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Amazing - thanks y’all.  Kids schedule changed so cook is delayed (was still mostly frozen so back in freezer) but I promise to post as I will cook this soon.  I really appreciate all the advice / links - good stuff!

@JohnInCarolina yes it is wagyu, only ~ 3 lbs.

I tried Pepper Stout Beef in past and failed, haven’t bought a chuck since.  Mine had a center that didn’t pull right & I was shocked at the amount of fat that rose to the top, felt like I skimmed away half the dish.

I would like to incorporate SV this time, thanks y’all I’ll post soon.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”