Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2023??

Options
My favorite religious holiday. 

We usually go to a close friend's place. The hostess is most gracious, and lets me do whatever I want to. Ferinstance, I can tell her that I won't eat gravy out of a jar, and she's happy to let me bring a gallon of gravy :smiley:  

We typically take an appetizer, a smoked ham, gravy, and a dessert. Planning to take baked brie, said ham, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, and SV flan. They will have an exceptional spread (apps, smoked turkey, sides, pumpkin pie), and we will definitely have more food than 3 families can eat. 

If it goes down like years past, it'll be an evening of gluttony, spent with close friends. Sounds good to me.

So... what's cookin' for y'all?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Cinnamon rolls

Oh damn! I may steal this for the weekend.

And, re: your students, I've sort of been in that boat (fresh off it?) years ago, and very much enjoyed  having a spot to celebrate a holiday when my own family wasn't close by. I'm sure your family's hospitality is appreciated. 

• caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    great idea for a post @caliking

fried brussels sprouts
    fried turkey
    fresh green beans with bacon in…bacon drippings (sounds better than bacon grease, right?)
    cornbread stuffing (you can call it dressing if you want, it’s not going to be in the turkey)
    celery root salad
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potatoes - not sure how we’re cooking those yet
    gravy
    cranberry relish
    pumpkin cheesecake
    probably more things I’m not aware of

It’s going to be a marathon for us - staying with our daughter and we’re going to her in laws for a noon eat (no idea what the menu is there) and then we’ll eat later, probably 6ish.

At this point, I’m really just looking forward to the turkey sandwich on fresh sourdough on Friday. And Saturday.  And Sunday.
    Cornbread stuffing/dressing of any kind is possibly my favorite. That is reportedly on the menu for our gathering, as well.

caliprince and I have already planned Leftovergiving on Friday, because mashed potatoes and pecan pie are not in the lineup for Thursday :smiley: 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    edited November 2023
    Options
    We’re hosting this year 

Spatchcock fresh turkey 
    Green bean casserole 
    Mashed potatoes 
    Sage Dressing 
    Mac & Cheese
    Broccoli casserole 
    Roasted asparagus 
    Cranberry sauce 
    Deviled eggs 
    Yeast rolls
    Pecan pie
    Pumpkin pie
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Legume said:
    I can't abide sweet potatoes with pineapple and marshmallows.  This is my favorite way to make them (note that a lot of people also don't like coconut) 

Sweet Potato Gratin With Coconut Milk and Chipotle Chile

Serves eight

• 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about six medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
    • One 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
    • 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
    • 1 tbs. fresh lime juice
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1 tbs. maple syrup
    • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, chipotle chile, lime juice, salt, maple syrup and garlic. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (8 x 11-inch Pyrex is ideal). Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes to one hour, until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until the tops are browned.

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Sounds interesting @Botch

I love sweet potatoes but outgrew trying to make them sweeter a long time ago.  I actually just like them baked with a little plain Greek yogurt and some salt and pepper (can substitute Franklin rub).

Butter is good too.

We do put them in curries pretty often, especially if we're going spicy.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:
    Legume said:
    I can't abide sweet potatoes with pineapple and marshmallows.  This is my favorite way to make them (note that a lot of people also don't like coconut) 

Sweet Potato Gratin With Coconut Milk and Chipotle Chile

Serves eight

• 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about six medium), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
    • One 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
    • 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
    • 1 tbs. fresh lime juice
    • 1 tsp. salt
    • 1 tbs. maple syrup
    • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, chipotle chile, lime juice, salt, maple syrup and garlic. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish (8 x 11-inch Pyrex is ideal). Cover with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes to one hour, until the sweet potatoes are just tender. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until the tops are browned.

This sounds fantastic
    NOLA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Please share sausage stuffing recipe @JohnInCarolina with thanks to your wife. I’m on stuffing/dressing duty tomorrow without a game plan. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Please share sausage stuffing recipe @JohnInCarolina with thanks to your wife. I’m on stuffing/dressing duty tomorrow without a game plan. 
    Here you go - she says it’s basically this recipe:

http://recipeofhealth.com/recipe/dried-cherry-and-italian-sausage-stuffing-397817rb

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Turkey breasts (haven't decided which grill to use - BGE, Klose offset, or KBQ - we'll see what my son wants to do as he is home)
    Lobster tail (pescatarian daughter)
    Green beans (planning sous vide)
    Cranberry sauce
    Turnips
    Poblano Cheddar Mushroom Cornbread stuffing
    Ginger Miso Gravy
    Pumpkin Pie

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Turkey breasts (haven't decided which grill to use - BGE, Klose offset, or KBQ - we'll see what my son wants to do as he is home)
    Cranberry sauce
    Turnips
    Ginger Miso Gravy
    Pumpkin Pie
    Sounds like a great spread.  @dmourati might want to get your stuffing recipe - it sounds better than what we have here!

Lobster tail is a pretty nice consolation prize for being pescatarian!  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Great thread @caliking

Breakfast (thank goodness for the BS)

bacon—peppered and standard
    sausage-link and patty
    buttermilk biscuits
    hashbrowns
    eggs-fried or scrambled

Dinner: 
    rolls
    green bean casserole
    red Hot side 
    dressing
    Ham
    prime rib roast

various pies from various places 

Going to be a challenge, wife has had the flu so a bit run down and daughter is pregnant so my SIL and I may have to temper our usual drink shenanigans to help a touch more.  

Regardless, will be a day.  

Stay happy and safe y’all.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Cranberry sauce
    Turnips
    Ginger Miso Gravy
    Pumpkin Pie
    Sounds like a great spread.  @dmourati might want to get your stuffing recipe - it sounds better than what we have here!

Lobster tail is a pretty nice consolation prize for being pescatarian!  

1) I don't have the stuffing recipe - but I saw what my daughter asked my wife to pick up at the grocery.
    2) I suggested Green LIghtning Shrimp for the pescatarian option (actually for all of us - and have it be the only protein) but since Thanksgiving is about everyone getting what they want on the table we let our daughter choose her seafood entree while those who wanted turkey get to have some of that as well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    buzd504 said:

I want to "like" that post because I appreciate the humor, but I'm afraid that people will misinterpret that as a reflection of my pedantic culinary skills.

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @foghorn ginger miso gravy sounds delicious!
    we'll do abelskievers for breakfast.  but @JohnInCarolina cinnamon rolls would do me perfect.
    dinner with parents and neighbors.  two turkeys.  one in the oven, the other smoked on the egg.  neighbor is bringing prime rib - score!  and the usual sides.  pies are in process now: 2 apple, 2 pumpkin, 2 pecan. that should do it!
    @caliking i'm with you - thanksgiving is my favorite holiday
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Options
    Legume said:

I love sweet potatoes but outgrew trying to make them sweeter a long time ago.  I actually just like them baked with a little plain Greek yogurt and some salt and pepper (can substitute Franklin rub).
    I did a quick search on teh googlez for "sweet potato chipotle casserole" and there were all kinds of recipes that didn't use coconut milk, but rather butter, cream, or smoked gouda (which sounds really appealing).  

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @foghorn ginger miso gravy sounds delicious!
    we'll do abelskievers for breakfast.  but @JohnInCarolina cinnamon rolls would do me perfect.
    dinner with parents and neighbors.  two turkeys.  one in the oven, the other smoked on the egg.  neighbor is bringing prime rib - score!  and the usual sides.  pies are in process now: 2 apple, 2 pumpkin, 2 pecan. that should do it!
    @caliking i'm with you - thanksgiving is my favorite holiday
    You have a neighbor bringing prime rib... I need to move to your 'hood!

• caliking
    Options
    This thread is turning out exactly as I had envisioned. Love seeing what everyone is throwing down.

Hope y'all have a great holiday with family and friends. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Botch said:
    Legume said:

I did a quick search on teh googlez for "sweet potato chipotle casserole" and there were all kinds of recipes that didn't use coconut milk, but rather butter, cream, or smoked gouda (which sounds really appealing).  
    Your recipe didn't sound sweet to me - I'll try it or some derivative in the coming weeks - maybe it will make the Christmas week rotation.  We've got a houseful in December and will be doing a lot of cooking.
  • Botch
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    Legume said:

Your recipe didn't sound sweet to me - I'll try it or some derivative in the coming weeks - maybe it will make the Christmas week rotation.  We've got a houseful in December and will be doing a lot of cooking.
    It wasn't the "sweet" I was trying to find an alternate for, but rather the coconut milk.  

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @caliking for sure! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    We have traveled to the Queen City (CLT) for my wife’s family gathering. Wife is one of eight children all of which have kids, and their kids. Large gathering with 40 or so folks. They are big ham eaters which suits me. We’ll eat well and consume a few. Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and your families. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    great idea for a post @caliking

fried brussels sprouts
    fried turkey
    fresh green beans with bacon in…bacon drippings (sounds better than bacon grease, right?)
    cornbread stuffing (you can call it dressing if you want, it’s not going to be in the turkey)
    celery root salad
    mashed potatoes
    gravy
    cranberry relish
    pumpkin cheesecake
    probably more things I’m not aware of

It’s going to be a marathon for us - staying with our daughter and we’re going to her in laws for a noon eat (no idea what the menu is there) and then we’ll eat later, probably 6ish.

At this point, I’m really just looking forward to the turkey sandwich on fresh sourdough on Friday. And Saturday.  And Sunday.
    You forgot to mention the competing canned green beans with bacon bits. I want video. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Cooking at home and bringing it all 35 minutes north to my wife’s 90 year old grandmothers. She refuses to travel so we brining the mountain to Mohammed so to speak.

Egret’s Ham (sorry, no turkey)
    green beans and bacon
    rice And cornbread dressing
    ruth’s Chris sweet potato casserole
    bread
    apple and pecan pies