Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the famous Yukon Ron Bourbon Slush recipe?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Please and thank you. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    They’re bourbon slushies.  Basically a very quick and easy way to get hammered and enjoy every minute of it.

Recipe is here:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208669/bourbon-slushies
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Optionally you can substitute bourbon for the 7 cups of water 
    I have the recipe saved from previous years and it’s just about time to make first summer batch.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    They just don’t hit the same when drinking from a cup.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    ….also adds to the terroir while bagging it in front of a 35 foot grease fire….
    Options
    Holy hell. We made a big batch once. All the way to vacuum sealing a giant bag and freezing it. 

… one of the best memories!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    Options
    Terroir: A French term used to describe the environmental factors that affect a crop's phenotype, including unique environment contexts, farming practices and a crop's specific growth habitat. Collectively, these contextual characteristics are said to have a character; terroir also refers to this character.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Ain't nothing like @YukonRon filling up my cup himself.... Go Butt Blast!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Wasn't the recipe from a church cookbook?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Yes it was....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wasn't the recipe from a church cookbook?
    Fun story: from '97 to '99 I worked at Thiokol in northern Utah, in the Safety/Reliability section for the RSRM/Space Shuttle boosters.  Out of the 26 employees, I was the only non-Mormon, which was... interesting.
    I was also a member of a wine-tasting club in Ogden.  Every month one member would host a wine-tasting at their home, with different themes.  My turn to host was coming up, and I only had a small kitchen table and maybe 5 chairs (needed about 20).  I called up my Lutheran pastor at work, and said, "Hey, I'm hosting a wine-tasting at home, is it okay if I borrow two folding tables and 20 folding chairs for this Saturday?  I'll return them before church starts the next morning... Okay, thanks, see you Friday!"  
    I hung up the phone, and noticed the entire office was dead-silent.  The guy in the cubicle across from mine finally asked, "Hey, uh, Botch, did you just ask to borrow some stuff from your church, for a wine-tasting?!?"  I said, yeah, what's the big deal?  All 26 of us learned something about each other that morning.  :lol:  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,051
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Why do you have to take two Baptists with you when you go fishing?
    Because if you take just one, he'll drink all your beer.

Everytime 4 Episcopalians meet, there is a fifth.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    caliking said:
    I will never forget that event. The huge black burn spot that was once a fire pit, people scattering while a bag of slushies met its inevitable demise. 

You are legend my friend.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    We, not we….My Beautiful Wife received the recipe from the pastor’s wife, at the church she attended, and occasionally brought me along, to keep me out of trouble.

The first time we made it, we knew it would be a refreshing drink to serve at our neighborhood group dinners we have. The first evening we served, the gallon bag lasted less than 30 minutes. We knew, at the blast, it may be enjoyed, and it was something we enjoyed serving. I do not recall how many gallons we brought, I think it was maybe 7-8 gallons. 

We did not bring any back home with us. 

Should we ever do this( the BB) again, we will make more, if they let us back in.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    Options
    We're hosting a pool party tomorrow. All this talk of bourbon slushy got me thinking. caliqueen said no... these aren't eggheads. They're not ready for bourbon slushy. 

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    caliking said:
    We're hosting a pool party tomorrow. All this talk of bourbon slushy got me thinking. caliqueen said no... these aren't eggheads. They're not ready for bourbon slushy. 
    It's funny you posted this.  We are going to a pool party on Sunday and I thought about making these then quickly changed my mind.  Not sure the hosts would be too happy with me.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • caliking
    edited May 2023
    Options

caliking said:
    It's funny you posted this.  We are going to a pool party on Sunday and I thought about making these then quickly changed my mind.  Not sure the hosts would be too happy with me.  
    You make a certain statement when you roll up to a party with a gallon bag (or more) of slushy in the cooler. The ones who get it are your real friends. 

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I gotta toss a batch together soon. It's been awhile. I typically vac seal the batch in a few bags - squish it a bit and then cut the corner off for easy serving.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    I gotta toss a batch together soon. It's been awhile. I typically vac seal the batch in a few bags - squish it a bit and then cut the corner off for easy serving.
    Took your advice for the weekend 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    @YukonRon your slushy recipe has made its way to Alabama. Made up a batch and froze last night. It will make an appearance at the RV Park tonight. 1st time making it. I used Orange Jameson that was suggested here by someone.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Slushies at the RV park!  I would pre-dial "91" on your phone and keep it nearby!

The orange Jameson will not disappoint.

Clinton, Iowa
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    lol

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .