Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pastrami Out Of The Tank And In the Smoke

Options
As a follow up to the post I made 10 days ago, I smoked the brisket yesterday.  I normally use store bought corned beef to make pastrami routinely, lately I have desalinated and dropped in the SV then into the smoker to complete the process.  This time I used a whole prime packer brisket to complete the process from scratch.  The results were incredible, much better than the pastrami I make from store bought corned beef.  Since I was firing up the smoker why not do a brisket also.  Happy with both results after 19 hours of smoke and a long oven rest at 150 degrees.  These oven rests have really upped my brisket game.  

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    what time we eat??  looks amazing!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    That is magic 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Dang-that is the way to bring it home!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    That all looks incredible man!  I would love to read the details of your from-scratch process.  I think I need to try this...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I used a combination of ChudsBBQ, Alton Brown and Amazingribs.com.  I added a few more aromatic herbs to Chuds cure and I used amazingribs rub without the brown sugar since I was worried with it blackening the final product.  That rub is money.  About as close to Katz’s deli as I have ever been.  If anything I would cut down a little on the salt or shorten the soak a couple days.  The first few slices of the flat were a little salty for me.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    Fantastic all the way around!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Wow.  If any cook ever deserved the @SGH double seal, this is it.  One for each perfectly cooked hunk of meat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I’d say it’s right on the money!
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Looks great! Did you trim it any differently or just like a usual brisket? 
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Great looking hunk of protein!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Plutonium I trimmed just a little tighter than a normal brisket.  I dropped some beef short ribs into the tank the last 4 days of the cure and made pastrami.  I thought they tasted better than the brisket.  I smoked a brisket and the cured brisket on my gravity fed smoker.  I did the beef ribs, 2 pork butts and 5 racks of St Louis pork ribs on my new Shirley just experimenting with the first cook.  Came out amazing. 

Southeast Louisiana