Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
BigBuford
BigBuford Posts: 78
edited March 2023 in EggHead Forum
Brisket cook fat side up or down and why. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I do my brisket in a rib rack holder which eliminates this dilemma 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Just give the search function a look. Reading all the threads will take longer than cooking a packer brisket.  Your cook, your call.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @BigBuford I normally put fat side toward the heat source.  That said this subject is just like lump on a Friday night.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Towards the heat source, but really it’s the best presentation side, so…. Up 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Big Green Egg rotisserie for the win!  

That thing solves all the problems!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Big Green Egg rotisserie for the win!  

That thing solves all the problems!
    LOL
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Since you’ve just been poked at with no direct answers, I do fat cap up so as it renders it goes back through the actual brisket.   

To each their own but that’s how I do it.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Well, since this is still open I suggest if you read nothing else, give this link a look.  It may also change a few perspectives around here-
    Edit for spelling-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Excellent misdirection!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    As suggested by some above, the principle at play here is "put the fat toward the heat".  To me, that means fat side up - IF I can make the heat rise around the edges of the Egg and accumulate in the dome and not rise directly onto the bottom of the brisket.  With an XXL I can do that with the ceramic heat blockers and well placed aluminum foil shaped into a drip pan.  I'm in the minority around here, but so were the first people who recognized that the earth is round...  =)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    As suggested by some above, the principle at play here is "put the fat toward the heat".  To me, that means fat side up - IF I can make the heat rise around the edges of the Egg and accumulate in the dome and not rise directly onto the bottom of the brisket.  With an XXL I can do that with the ceramic heat blockers and well placed aluminum foil shaped into a drip pan.  I'm in the minority around here, but so were the first people who recognized that the earth is round...  =)
    Dan “Magellan” Foghorn 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Egg holds so much moisture…
    trim it real tight so it it doesn’t matter what side is up and enjoy the brisket bark on both sides. Same goes for pork butts!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BigBuford
    BigBuford Posts: 78
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:  Interesting thought. I can see with the Egg and using a plate setter it could act like a convection oven. 
    I have always cooked with the fat side down just like I do with my off-set stick burner. 
    I am going to trim well and do fat side up as you suggest. 
    Foghorn said:
    Dan “Magellan” Foghorn 

Foghorn said:
    Dan “Magellan” Foghorn 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    Mostly do flats, fat down, pork butt on top dripping.not from Texas.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it