Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole House Water Filtration, for watering the Egg

I am looking to add a whole house water filtration system.  I know nothing about these systems.  Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for what I should look for?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    As in just a mechanical filter or a RO system?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I could write a white-paper on what not to do.  But, basically, the larger the filter, the less often you will be replacing it is my only experience.  My first unit was too small and I was changing it every few weeks.  That one was a DIY install.  Then, I got some professional help and it was much less "needy".  

It also depends on what is in your water, and what you are looking to remove.  I had to remove rust.  Obviously, there are harder things to remove from water.  Most difficult things require multiple "stages" to remove.  If you don't get them out in the proper order, you will always fight it.  If you need RO, you may need Sediment, then soften, then RO, for example.  And, where to pull your "drinking water" in that setup is important.  Most take drinking water before softener, and add taste and odor to just that portion of their supply.  However, your home plumbing may or may not allow that.  Taste and odor filters have very short life-spans, relative to other types, so make sure that is in an easy to replace spot.  Mine was under the sink and totally sucked to change!  

Find a reputable company and see what their water test shows.  
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Why does your Egg need watering?  Is that how you keep it moist?  Or is this just the secret to being able to boil water inside of it?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    I am currently reviewing what my "well guy" is recommending me put in..looks to be a solid solution so I will probably go with it..

https://www.springwellwater.com/product/well-water/ultra-whole-house-well-water-filter-salt-based-system-combo/
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Flow rate is important. We’re looking at Springwell too. I just removed a 15 year old salt based system and we’re eyeballing the salt-free softener/filter combo. 

Perfect timing 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    ColtsFan said:
    Flow rate is important. We’re looking at Springwell too. I just removed a 15 year old salt based system and we’re eyeballing the salt-free softener/filter combo. 

Perfect timing 
    FWIW
    I did ask about a salt free solution due to the added maintenance required. Without knowing your situation, my levels are high in iron which will absolutely kill fixtures.

Cost of country living

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    We are on a well, don't have issues with taste, but it is very hard water.  My wife has become concerned with safety of the water and wants to ensure it is contaminate free.  Prior well testing didn't highlight any issues and we are in the main aquifer that the city uses, also over 600 feet deep, so lots of natural filtering going on.

We do get some sediment occasionally and would like to soften it.  While I am doing that figured might as well go all the way.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    All you need is PVC pipes to piggyback on your Roman bath filtration infrastructure 😂
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    All you need is PVC pipes to piggyback on your Roman bath filtration infrastructure 😂
    A nice stone aqueduct would be pretty cool 🤣
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    had a softener installed when i was a kid, the water tasted good before but not afterwards. dont know if an RO system fixes  that.  the other side of the coin is that it seems most buy bottled water for drinking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    That close to the boarder, I would make damn sure to get something that filters out fentanyl and other drugs.
  • had a softener installed when i was a kid, the water tasted good before but not afterwards. dont know if an RO system fixes  that.  the other side of the coin is that it seems most buy bottled water for drinking
    After you’ve tasted tap water with a bit of lead in it, its hard to go back.  
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    When we purchased our new build in December, we bought a water softener and RO system from Dupure. Three months in and we are happy with it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• That close to the boarder, I would make damn sure to get something that filters out fentanyl and other drugs.
    A hunred percent!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    had a softener installed when i was a kid, the water tasted good before but not afterwards. dont know if an RO system fixes  that.  the other side of the coin is that it seems most buy bottled water for drinking
    After you’ve tasted tap water with a bit of lead in it, its hard to go back.  

are you watering down fentanyl in your old lead sippy cup, could explain a few things
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Nuvo h2o might have something for you.  Had one in the past it worked well on hard water in my experience.  Go to their website and you can dig around various solutions.  We had the manor system.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Water chemistry, as simple as it sounds is anything but.

Get a professional that first insists on getting a laboratory analysis of the water so they know what the need.

You may just need a water softener.  Mechanical filters are sized based on flow and the average TSS results with consideration to the water chemistry - some contaminants will prematurely destroy parts of your system and the elements of it need to take that in consideration.  Like high Iron will ruin an RO membrane. 

Good luck.
    edited March 2023
    Water chemistry, as simple as it sounds is anything but.

Get a professional that first insists on getting a laboratory analysis of the water so they know what the need.

You may just need a water softener.  Mechanical filters are sized based on flow and the average TSS results with consideration to the water chemistry - some contaminants will prematurely destroy parts of your system and the elements of it need to take that in consideration.  Like high Iron will ruin an RO membrane. 

Good luck.

I pulled the well report from last year, to an uneducated individual who didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn, it looks fine.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The trace heavy metals don't really have much to do with the type of water treatment you need...if you have them you can carbon filter, but may need other conditioning to keep the system going.  Nothing of note in the heavy metals. 

You need the water tested for TSS, TDS, hardness, nutrient metals, bigger list of anions, etc.  The "non-poisonous" parameters that deplete filters, clog pipes, ruin RO membranes, make water taste, look and smell bad.

I'm no expert on which specific parameters are needed for water quality treatment but I can tell you what the reg limits are for anything, anywhere.
    Total coliform detected means you should not be drinking it, suffice it to say.  At least I wouldn't.  Just means surface runoff is getting in there somehow.
    The analyte list that you can run for drinking water has hundreds of parameters.  Most you don't analyze for unless there's a reason to, for example you are near a plant that uses industrial chemicals, or your land is known to have radon, or arsenic or whatever natural geological contributions are, that are typical for that area. 
    edited March 2023
    For those keeping score, had a retest done and total Coliform was a false positive.

There was an issue with a screen in a faucet used to get the water sample.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    For those keeping score, had a retest done and total Coliform was a false positive.

There was an issue with a screen in a faucet used to get the water sample.
    You can shock your well too.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.