Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sold my XL to make room for a Lang now I have a Shirley on the way so Lang has to go

I keep searching for the perfect smoker and have owned a number of them.  I still have my 2 large eggs, a KBQ, Rockin W gravity fed unit and a Lang 36” hybrid, one side is a smoker the other side a char grill.  I am replacing the Lang because I need more capacity so I am replacing it with a Shirley cabinet smoker.  The Lang cooks like a dream and is easy to operate but I need more space.  SWMBO says I have a smoker problem and something has to go.  I don’t think it’s unusual to have 7 grills, many of you have more than that.  If you know anyone interested in a Lang let me know.  It will save me from attending therapy sessions. 

with a Shirley cabinet smoker.  The Lang cooks like a dream and is easy to operate but it has to go if you know anybody interested.

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Someone will be lucky with that Lang smoker!  Welcome to the Shirley club! What's the wait time? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @weberwho The Lang is a sweet little unit, perfect for a backyard cooker, especially with the char grill.  I do bigger cooks and just need more real estate.

I gave up waiting on Shirley, they don’t answer the phone and I sent an email a week ago with no response.  I have read that they are about 2 years backlogged.  The 24 x 36 is supposed to be standardized and only takes 8-10 weeks but I couldn’t get to anyone to order one.  Finally found a used one near Memphis that had only been used a few times.  Should be delivered next week.  I really like the 3 pull out racks and increased capacity.  It can easily hold 10 racks of ribs or 5 packer briskets or 10 pork butts.  Shocked at the capacity of a cabinet smoker vs pipe.  Now I really have to ask myself if I really need the KBQ.  I like it a lot but it is redundant with the Shirley and the big gravity unit. 

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • WeberWho
    edited March 2023
    I believe his son Tyler has pretty much taken over control of the business. I also believe that all the emails go through him now. (They say to email instead of call as they just don't have enough time to answer phones during the day. If you still want to email you might want to look for an email going through Tyler)  Paul the owner is active over on the BBQ Brethren and Shirley Fabrication fan page on Facebook. I've messaged with Paul a few different times about some questions on my Shirley and he's messaged me back and been super helpful. You'll love your Shirley. The fabrication is absolutely topnotch craftsmanship. 

The KBQ will be redundant except for mobility and maybe the time it will take to heat up. It's probably worth holding onto in the meantime. 

Congrats and I can't wait to see some cooks on it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @WeberWho I have heard both Paul and Tyler were great people.  I emailed Tyler since he has taken over most of the building now.  I know they are busy but ignoring customers is not a very good business practice.  Hiring a person to run the office would probably be a good investment.  I became very frustrated about being ignored.  There are lots of builders around.  I have a custom Rockin W Gravity unit that was nearly $10K when I get ready for a big offset I will probably look elsewhere. 
    Southeast Louisiana
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Money_Hillbilly - Better to be lucky than good right there.  Congrats on the Shirley find. 
    On a side note I sent you a PM a while back about Lang and cooking chix. 
    For the record I only have 5 grills, so I am not close to your league.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Looks like someone should get a big nod for tailgating
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    swmbo is being unreasonable.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I don't count and I don't talk about it.  My wife buys shoes and bags, I buy tools and grills and knives.
    I never counted my guns, either.  She would ask, "How many guns do you need?!?!"  I would reply, "All of them."

Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Langner91 said:
    I don't count and I don't talk about it.  My wife buys shoes and bags, I buy tools and grills and knives.
    I never counted my guns, either.  She would ask, "How many guns do you need?!?!"  I would reply, "All of them.  Three less than you need shoes."
    Would've been MY answer, but you're successfully married and I'm not.   ;)   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    @Money_Hillbilly where are you located? 
  • @Elijah Abita Springs, LA
    Southeast Louisiana
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    “I don’t think it’s unusual to have 7 grills, many of you have more than that.”

My favorite line in your opening post.  This is no doubt true, but something tells me your wife did not find this line of argument compelling for some reason…

All jokes aside, I’m just curious @Money_Hillbilly as to your need for more real estate.  Are you doing some catering or have you just been cooking for some large groups?

And I agree on keeping the KBQ, but I bet if you decide to sell that you’ll find a taker here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @JohnInCarolina We live in a golf community and entertain often.  It is not unusual for us to host parties with 60 or more people.  Every time we plan an event my wife and I talk about the attendance list.  It is very hard to cut it down without offending someone. My last birthday I did 3 briskets, 10 racks of St Louis ribs, 6 tritips and 5 lbs of different types of sausages.  I also do a local competition each year and I use several grills.  My son owns an outdoor store and sells grills, rubs, sauces, etc. so I demo them at the competition.  I also teach cooking classes at his store and many times precook some of the food we serve.  All told I like to use all the tools available.  I bought the Lang used from a picture.  It is a big unit and I was expecting much more smoking real estate.  The char grill option takes up quite a bit of space.  I considered cutting out the connecting baffle and turning the entire thing into a smoker.  The firebox is too small for that and I have no idea how the reverse flow would work with it reconfigured.  So the best approach for me was to move to something just a little bigger.  I hope that explanation makes sense.
    Southeast Louisiana
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    @JohnInCarolina We live in a golf community and entertain often.  It is not unusual for us to host parties with 60 or more people.  Every time we plan an event my wife and I talk about the attendance list.  It is very hard to cut it down without offending someone. My last birthday I did 3 briskets, 10 racks of St Louis ribs, 6 tritips and 5 lbs of different types of sausages.  I also do a local competition each year and I use several grills.  My son owns an outdoor store and sells grills, rubs, sauces, etc. so I demo them at the competition.  I also teach cooking classes at his store and many times precook some of the food we serve.  All told I like to use all the tools available.  I bought the Lang used from a picture.  It is a big unit and I was expecting much more smoking real estate.  The char grill option takes up quite a bit of space.  I considered cutting out the connecting baffle and turning the entire thing into a smoker.  The firebox is too small for that and I have no idea how the reverse flow would work with it reconfigured.  So the best approach for me was to move to something just a little bigger.  I hope that explanation makes sense.
    It does and I’m jealous of all of this.  Sounds like a lot of fun!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    @Elijah Abita Springs, LA
    Fack, too close. Must resist. What’s your ask?
  • @ColbyLang $2,600
    Southeast Louisiana
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    You’re gonna love that Shirley, it is a beast and the craftsmanship is second to none. Here is a gratuitous shot of mine when I was running a bbq catering company:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • @ColbyLang   It’s a sweet little rig. 

Southeast Louisiana
  • ColbyLang
    @ColbyLang   It’s a sweet little rig. 

Sure is, wish I could justify the very short drive to your house. Play a round of golf (lol) and leave with a smoker. 
  • @ColbyLang Come on down 
    Southeast Louisiana
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    ColbyLang said:

Sure is, wish I could justify the very short drive to your house. Play a round of golf (lol) and leave with a smoker. 
    You could sort of pass it off as a golf cart...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    ColbyLang said:

What…can’t find your golf clubs?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Sweet rig and quite an opening cook.  You mastered it right off the truck.  Great score. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap I am sure the Lang helped my learning curve and introduction to stick burners but the Shirley is much easier to operate.  I hooked up my flame boss to monitor the cook and I was drawing a straight temperature line just like the egg.  Absolutely amazing. 
    Southeast Louisiana
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    wow, glad to hear your loving it - really impressive equipment  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • WeberWho
    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it! They run like a dream. It will be interesting to see if that KBQ sticks around....

Without knowing anything about the shipping company you used they deserve an A+ grade for the time they took to keep the straps from rubbing. That's seriously impressive. I've seen cars strapped down worth hundreds of thousands of dollars with way less attention.  They deserve a nice review if an option to do so. 

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    Must resist. Must resist………
  • @WeberWho Kevin White from Legendary transportation delivered it for me.  He is the official delivery company for Shirley.  He moves them everywhere around the country and is very professional.  Excellent service and arrived in immaculate condition 
    Southeast Louisiana