Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your secret sauce?

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited March 2023 in EggHead Forum
I recently discovered HP sauce out of England and have been mixing a large amount of mayo (maybe a cup) with like 1 TBS each of dijon, worcestershire and HP sauce. I throw in a few dashes of a steak seasoning I love called Chicago Chop House and it's been a hit amongst friends on burgers.

Chicago Chop House

I love a good bernaise for steaks and use this recipe, minus the chervil because I can't find it locally. https://www.recipetineats.com/bearnaise-sauce/

Anyone have a great steak sauce or burger sauce they would share? (extreme bonus points for no pickles because my family hates pickles but most people don't so don't let that stop you)
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm going to have to make that sauce with HP. Sounds awesome. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2023
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I'm going to have to make that sauce with HP. Sounds awesome. 
    I think you will enjoy it!

The steak seasoning is from a company called Red Dog Rubs and its the Chicago Chop House, but if you order it you HAVE to order some Black Jack Magic. It's the single best bottle spice I've ever bought and by far the best cajun seasoning I've ever tasted.

Chicago Chop House

https://www.alacartealice.com/category.sc?categoryId=26

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Okay I'll get some. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a fan of HP, though seldom purchase. My favorite sauce is Pickapeppa (Hot & Spicy). 
    I love basting on Kabobs 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    DSC_0082jpg

crying tiger. dry roast most of the ingredients then into the blender

DSC_0072jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    this one was altered due to ingredients on hand, close enough

marinade: says 1-4 hours
    2 tbls soy
    1 tbls fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    some chopped green onion

crying tiger sauce:
    6 thai chilis
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup fish sauce
    3 cloves garlic
    16 cherry tomatoes
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 tbls sugar
    2 tabls pakak hot curry
    bunch of chopped green onions

when the egg got up to about 500, put the chilis in and roasted til they were starting to char but not black,maybe a minute, took them out and added onion and whole tomatoes and did the same thing. let egg climb up for searing temps while back inside tossed some garlic into a dry pan for a half minute on med, added the pakak paste (this paste needs to be cooked according to the label) added a little water to avoid burning, then everything into a food processor. allow to cool, go cook steak
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I am a fan of HP, though seldom purchase. My favorite sauce is Pickapeppa (Hot & Spicy). 
    I love basting on Kabobs 

Pickapeppa tastes like A1 to me. I love both. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I love basting on Kabobs 

For me HP seems like a-1 with a heavy dose of Tamarind
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I also make this Tartar like sauce that has no pickles.

• 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
    • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
    • 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
    • 1 small shallot, finely minced
    • 1 clove garlic, grated or very finely minced
    • 1 tablespoon capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
    • 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
    • 2 teaspoons fresh chives, finely chopped
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I also make this Tartar like sauce that has no pickles.

• 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
    • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
    • 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
    • 1 small shallot, finely minced
    • 1 clove garlic, grated or very finely minced
    • 1 tablespoon capers, drained, rinsed and chopped
    • 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
    • 2 teaspoons fresh chives, finely chopped

good timing, ive got some fish to cook this weekend. this will work for sandwiches
    fukahwee maine

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    I LOVE this thread! I'm a condiment freak and am all about saucing things up. We can hardly get any fruit, produce or meat into the fridge due to all the condiment jars and bottles. This is a "starred" thread for sure!! Thanks for starting it, @Thatgrimguy!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Oh I found my wife's simple ranch dressing recipe. I know she got it from a magazine or something but we don't remember where.

Ingredients (Makes about 2 cups)

• 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1/2 cup buttermilk*
    • 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic minced
    • 1 green onion finely chopped
    • 1 Tablespoon fresh dill
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    • dash paprika

Instructions

• Whisk mayonnaise and sour cream together, then whisk in buttermilk. 
    • * This is where you get the consistency you want so whish in the buttermilk slowly and don't add too much. The 1/2 cup is a guesstimate not an exact measurement, kind of like the herbs)
    • Mix in parsley, garlic, green onion, dill, salt, pepper, and paprika.
    • Cover and refrigerate overnight.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I love basting on Kabobs 

…..with a little heat. Love it on the fresh garden vegetables and tenderloin chunks kabob size. It grills better than A1 I think. I too love both. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    Options
    for store bought, peter lugers steak sauce, for the tomato cucumber salad...but not on a steak
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    This is a good thread. Let’s keep it going for a while. I might add one tonight.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I know Raichlen gets a bad rep for the picture stuff, but he has a lot of great grilled salsa recipes. My favorites are his salsa verse, salsa chipotle and mesquite grilled salsa. Also something that’s super simple for pulled pork egg rolls is a 50/50 mix of sweet chili sauce and sticky fingers mustard based bbq sauce. And of course jalamango lime wing sauce. :) 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I recently discovered HP sauce out of England and have been mixing a large amount of mayo (maybe a cup) with like 1 TBS each of dijon, worcestershire and HP sauce. I throw in a few dashes of a steak seasoning I love called Chicago Chop House and it's been a hit amongst friends on burgers.

Chicago Chop House

I love a good bernaise for steaks and use this recipe, minus the chervil because I can't find it locally. https://www.recipetineats.com/bearnaise-sauce/

Anyone have a great steak sauce or burger sauce they would share? (extreme bonus points for no pickles because my family hates pickles but most people don't so don't let that stop you)

In my area we have a small local gourmet chain called "Taste Unlimited" that's been around for a few decades. Back in the day, a couple times a month I used to hit their shop for one of my favorite things - one of their sandwiches with house dressing (usually a roast beef & swiss sandwich on french bread). The house dressing was the thing that made the sandwich and is basically what you have described - mayo and British brown sauce.
    Forty years ago I know that they used Hellmans mayo and a sauce from the UK named something like London Sherwin Steak sauce. I used to make up my own batches but that Sherwin sauce became impossible to find perhaps thirty some years ago and I had heard they had used HP for awhile and some other brown sauce whose name I don't recall.
    It's been many years since I have had one of their sandwiches and I have no idea what sort of brown sauce they are using these days but I heard a few years ago when they renamed the stores to just "Taste" that they also started selling bottles of their house dressing.
    The memory of this has now fired up my taste buds and I'm gonna have to hit them up this weekend for a sandwich and a bottle of their sauce.

I haven't thought about them and their sauce for years so thanks for posting that!

One of my favorite creamy type of sauces that doesn't seem to get the notice it deserves is Kewpie's Deep Roasted Sesame Dressing & Marinade. To paraphrase Eli Manning "I put that sh!t on everything!" I sometimes make burgers that have marinated in teriyaki sauce and I'll use this rather than mayo/mustard/ketchup/etc. It has no pickles - the sauce that is. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    We always have HP on hand.  It’s great (for us a must have) with pork sausage for dipping , add a little hot sauce also.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Posted just because the awesome name

Options
    Great idea for a thread, @Thatgrimguy
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2023
    Options
    We all know Guga from youtube. This is his burger sauce:

1 part ketchup

3/4 part mayo

1/4 part mustard

1/4 part Mendez Hot Sauce Original

1/4 part Worcestershire sauce

I got it from this video.  I haven't tried it yet. I had to order the 3 pack of that hot sauce to get the original and it hasn't come in yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yX_bpbCmfo
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    There are many things I can live without in my fridge but this will be one of the last if I had to make choices. I buy it by the gallon.where it really shines is egg and chicken salad, but goes well anywhere. Excellent as dip for tortilla chips
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    Options
    My secret sauce is for pulled pork. Couldn’t be more simple. 

Take a half gallon of apple cider vin
    add a half a cup of red pepper flakes
    add a half cup of light brown sugar
    let sit at least a day (shake well)

When presenting: dilute 1:1 with more ACV

Seriously. I get more requests for my sauce than for my meat. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    +1 on the HP sauce, it is the only sauce I eat with steaks.  I like your mix idea.

Options
    Mother Sauces  =)

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited March 2023
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Mother Sauces  =)

NONONO, The 5th sauce is Mayonnaise not Hollandaise!  But for real, these are the OG secret sauces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMXvAjH0Nco
  • fishlessman
    Options
    @calikings raita sauce needs mentioning, takes tzatziki to a whole nother level. eat with lamb, gyros, rice dishes..... eat it with a spoon
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

I believe others on here have mentioned this sauce. Grabbed a bottle from Costco. I was making burgers for the third time in a week and wanted a different flavor profile. Everyone loved it. I used a little bit on each burger while grilling and many guests applied additional sauce while building their burger.  It seems versatile enough to use during other cooks and on other proteins. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im out of this stuff currently. i would buy it just for grilled asparagus

fukahwee maine