Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Legume said:
    Heathen.  Hot dogs are meant to be boiled, which obviously cannot be done on a BGE.

surprised nobody is using the  sous vide. they are already vacuum packed, then grilling them
    I thought about that today.  They are already tender and cooker, so not sure on the benefit.  

hundreds at a time in a big cooler without boiling all that healthy salt out.

sous vide hard cider dogs with pineapple =)

Oh my.  Sous Vide bacon.  Genius.
    Bacon wasn’t in the SV, just the sausage.  I don’t know why.

and diamond score the hotdog to get more hard cider flavor.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Opened up something we found in my parents’ basement. Inside was a treasure Box, if you’re a fisherman from the 1900s lol. Included was this..

what was in the rest of the box for fishing equipment, some stuff is collectable and worth alot of pennies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Opened up something we found in my parents’ basement. Inside was a treasure Box, if you’re a fisherman from the 1900s lol. Included was this..

what was in the rest of the box for fishing equipment, some stuff is collectable and worth alot of pennies
    I’ll take a bunch of pics tonight and post.. I wouldn’t even know most of what I was looking at.. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Langner91 said:
    Bought three of these little gems this week.  They were $5 each.  How could I pass them up?

I guess I will carve the next Thanksgiving turkey I cook on the BGE with them.

I guess that’s allowed, given you’d be following the instructions on the blade. 

Can’t believe it’s made in the USA at that price.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Maybe it's the sticker that's made in USA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    It was probably made in the late 1990's.  It was a promo piece for the Wild Turkey (hunting, not whiskey) Federation.  

My Gerber research doesn't list it, so it may have been a sample.  There were three of them for sale, so I grabbed them all.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    And changed it up again.   I want to change the back clip/spacer but haven’t found anything I like yet.  Want to keep it somewhat subtle so may not mess with the other torx 

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • After receiving the kershaw iridium and not loving it, I decided to try the covalent. Personally this is much more my speed for EDC (and using while egging). Love the flipper assist, weight, bar lock and stonewash finish. Won’t mind putting this to work immediately. 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    Gotta say I like the fingernail better than the knife. The fingernail is cool. I don't know anything about the knife, though.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Corv said:
    Gotta say I like the fingernail better than the knife. The fingernail is cool. I don't know anything about the knife, though.
    If I’m guessing correctly that’s a Boker Kalashnikov.   I’ve seen that handle pattern on Blade HQ but I could be misremembering 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @TideEggHead that’s a nice find. I lived I north central Alabama most of my life and have never heard of them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    @shtgunal3 Thanks! Me and my dad had a few custom made by a friend years back and he used those Parker Edwards blades. I forgot we had this one.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I keep adding to the collection. 

Scored a Gerber LST Jr. Magnum in Mossy Oak in the box.  That would be my EDC if I needed a new EDC.  

And, in a moment of weakness, I picked up an original LST in maroon micarta.  I've only seen one other one.  They were only made in 1980 and 1981 before Gerber changed to the Zytel scales.

Time to open some hot dogs to go on the grill!

Clinton, Iowa
  • PSA: After having used my trusty pocket knife to stir the water boiling on my Egg, I accidentally kept it pocketed going to a major concert. Unfortunately, I realized it only feet away from the metal detector and had to throw a prized Chris Reeves into a generic and undocumented bin of contraband. I had no idea whether I’d ever see it again. Luckily, it was accounted for and unscathed at the end of the concert. Not even a snail trail. I felt pretty foolish for the oversight and was apologetic. The staff was gracious about it. 
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    As a few on here have said before, “better to be lucky…” Glad it made it back home. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I hid a big ole knife in a shrub going into a comedy club and it was gone the next day when I remembered what i did… 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    People know other people stash weapons outside of venues that have searches or detectors.  I have buried an EDC in a potted plant before…and got it back!
    People know other people stash weapons outside of venues that have searches or detectors.  I have buried an EDC in a potted plant before…and got it back!
    My father in law left his outside a ball park and found a different one when he came out. but yeah I was poached, they either saw me or found it the next day. It was a kershaw automatic I broke a big ole chunk out of the blade so they expedited the inevitable.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    PSA: After having used my trusty pocket knife to stir the water boiling on my Egg, I accidentally kept it pocketed going to a major concert. Unfortunately, I realized it only feet away from the metal detector and had to throw a prized Chris Reeves into a generic and undocumented bin of contraband. I had no idea whether I’d ever see it again. Luckily, it was accounted for and unscathed at the end of the concert. Not even a snail trail. I felt pretty foolish for the oversight and was apologetic. The staff was gracious about it. 
    I checked one at an emergency room, they gave me a receipt and no problems. Saved me a hike back to the car.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited March 2023
    PSA: After having used my trusty pocket knife to stir the water boiling on my Egg, I accidentally kept it pocketed going to a major concert. Unfortunately, I realized it only feet away from the metal detector and had to throw a prized Chris Reeves into a generic and undocumented bin of contraband. I had no idea whether I’d ever see it again. Luckily, it was accounted for and unscathed at the end of the concert. Not even a snail trail. I felt pretty foolish for the oversight and was apologetic. The staff was gracious about it. 
    Holy smokes!  A Chris Reeves would have been a very nice find.  I might start searching around sporting events.

I have a Kershaw flipper that I tossed into a trashcan under the watchful eye of a TSA agent.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • PSA: After having used my trusty pocket knife to stir the water boiling on my Egg, I accidentally kept it pocketed going to a major concert. Unfortunately, I realized it only feet away from the metal detector and had to throw a prized Chris Reeves into a generic and undocumented bin of contraband. I had no idea whether I’d ever see it again. Luckily, it was accounted for and unscathed at the end of the concert. Not even a snail trail. I felt pretty foolish for the oversight and was apologetic. The staff was gracious about it. 
    I have reluctantly left knives and always got them back, but no way I would enjoy a concert knowing my Sebenza might be lost.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
    I have reluctantly left knives and always got them back, but no way I would enjoy a concert knowing my Sebenza might be lost.  
    This was the struggle. I was a guest of a friend’s at the concert, and I felt too guilty about leaving the line to run back to his car, so told myself that I would accept my fate - whatever that was. I was tense at first, but was able to relax and was incredibly relieved when it all worked out. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I don’t carry an expensive knife, but I certainly don’t want to lose it. My daily habit is to leave my knife with my other EDC items on the dresser and when I get up or get dressed to go out, I simply ask myself if there is any possibility of a hassle. Haven’t lost it so far.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.