Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

Options

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Ha, just got an email from BladeHQ about the Iridium.  Man I like that price point—may need to grab one.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Was looking at the pegboard in the garage and totally forgot I had this Kershaw carabiner knife.   Used to keep it clipped to the backpack during camping / backpacking trips.  

On a different note my BM Bailout is allegedly out for delivery.    Seeing is believing. 

Bro. Clean that thing up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    That’s worse than a dirty fork picture!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I’m telling you guys, Spyderco Military will be your last knife.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Bengard2344
    Options
    Moore maker. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    bbracey21 said:
    Received my new Kershaw Iridium today. First impression is it’s really nice and the weight is great. Would have thought the aluminum scales would be slick but it’s got a little bit of a texture grip to it, so I like that. Love the blade finish and pretty sharp edge the from factory.

We’ve had freezing rain & ice the last two days so next time I’ll post it in action while using the BGE. 
    Excuse my dumb question(s) but since the Irdium and the Covalent are approximately the same price  then I really wonder what is the difference…but most importantly do both have the lightning quick spring driven blade opening? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @RRP - I cannot offer a comparison but the axis release one hand opening on a Benchmade is quick and even I have mastered it in short order.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Was looking at the pegboard in the garage and totally forgot I had this Kershaw carabiner knife.   Used to keep it clipped to the backpack during camping / backpacking trips.  

On a different note my BM Bailout is allegedly out for delivery.    Seeing is believing. 

Bro. Clean that thing up.
    I need to.   Probably been sitting on a hook on the pegboard for 15yrs.   Totally forgot I had it 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    I’m telling you guys, Spyderco Military will be your last knife.

the best knives I’ve ever owned were sprint run Para 2s.   Great blades, scales and weight.   Not a fan of the full Military for my needs but I see where you’re going.   

I have a sprint Para2 on order.   Just don’t know when it will be released
  • TechsasJim
    Options

Usps strikes again.  Showed the BM has been out for delivery all day.   Usps has been by 3x and I have nothing to show for it.   

Sh*t show
  • bbracey21
    Options
    RRP said:
    bbracey21 said:
    Received my new Kershaw Iridium today. First impression is it’s really nice and the weight is great. Would have thought the aluminum scales would be slick but it’s got a little bit of a texture grip to it, so I like that. Love the blade finish and pretty sharp edge the from factory.

We’ve had freezing rain & ice the last two days so next time I’ll post it in action while using the BGE. 
    Excuse my dumb question(s) but since the Irdium and the Covalent are approximately the same price  then I really wonder what is the difference…but most importantly do both have the lightning quick spring driven blade opening? 
    @RPP - Couple notable differences are the scales (Iridium had aluminum vs Covalent’s polymer). Blade is spear vs drop point. Finish satin vs black. 
    Both are manual openers - very easy to operate - Iridium has thumb assist vs Covalent’s flipper. 

I’m sure there are others on here that could go into much more detail but those are the biggest differences I saw in them. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    bbracey21 said:
    RRP said:
    bbracey21 said:

@RPP - Couple notable differences are the scales (Iridium had aluminum vs Covalent’s polymer). Blade is spear vs drop point. Finish satin vs black. 
    Both are manual openers - very easy to operate - Iridium has thumb assist vs Covalent’s flipper. 

I’m sure there are others on here that could go into much more detail but those are the biggest differences I saw in them. 
    Once again, please excuse my stupidity...My Kershaw is lighting quick to open due to the internal spring. I used to be enthralled with the idea and quickness of a "switch blade" which was illegal where I lived, but for some reason my Kershaw gets pass that restriction. I just wondered if either of those two products also were "button activated' and lightening fast.

Clear as mud now? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited February 2023
    Options
    RRP said:
    bbracey21 said:
    RRP said:
    bbracey21 said:

Once again, please excuse my stupidity...My Kershaw is lighting quick to open due to the internal spring. I used to be enthralled with the idea and quickness of a "switch blade" which was illegal where I lived, but for some reason my Kershaw gets pass that restriction. I just wondered if either of those two products also were "button activated' and lightening fast.

Clear as mud now? LOL

In 2017 Illinois passed a law making switch blades/automatic knives legal to carry within the state if you have a Firearm Owners Identification Card. Otherwise making switch blades/automatic knives illegal to carry in public without the card. I also believe in Illinois you can't carry anything over in 3" in blade length. This particular knife mentioned above is neither a switch blades or an automatic knife. It's a manual knife meaning that you have to manually open the blade. Which is 100% legal to own in Illinois. (Technically not legal to carry in public as the blade length is over 3") Confused yet?  ;)  Illinois knife laws make as much sense as Minnesota knife laws. Which isn't much. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    RRP said:
    bbracey21 said:
    RRP said:
    bbracey21 said:

Clear as mud now? LOL
    Neither one is spring assisted.  My Iridium has a much freer moving blade, and with a proper wrist flip is very quick to open.  The blade is so free it can "bounce" out of the locked position before you release the frane lock.

The Covalent with the flip does not work as quick or smooth as a Kershaw Leek.  It takes a bit more force to open and on mine occasionally won't make it to the locked open position.  The frame lock close position is much more positive than the Iridium and I haven't had the issue with it bouncing out of the locked position prior to me releasing the frame lock.  I do not like the pocket clip on this knife.  I find it to narrow and to tight.  I prefer clips that mount on the side, this clip mounts weird and goes over the back.

These are based on single samples, so do not know if they are representative of the entire production runs.

Neither one is perfect, but at $50-$60 with a frame lock, I am very happy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Glad it finally made it. Nice pairing.  
    Just keep that official USPS complaint site at the ready.  It does spur action.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Glad it finally made it. Nice pairing.  
    Just keep that official USPS complaint site at the ready.  It does spur action.  
    Thanks again for that advice Cap.   Definitely got their attention!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    The new one looks way more stabbyer
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It’s so stabby your eyes will get PRK just by looking at it.
    Options
    This little knife was unexpectedly included with a tool which I'd ordered from one of my vendors. It's sometimes handy.
    Unfortunately it's a little difficult to open with those small grooves. The action is fairly stiff.
    But it does eventually open after some low-level swearing. So far I've only used the blade.
    I have no idea who made it but suspect a company in China. I keep it in a drawer, not my pocket.
    Closed, it's about 2 7/8" long.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I found another vintage Gerber in the box.  This one was only offered in 1992 and 1993.  I bid on four of this guy's knives last week.  Only won this one.  The others sold for more than I was willing to pay.

Edit to add:  I plan on opening my next package of hot dogs that I cook on my BGE with this one.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    Heathen.  Hot dogs are meant to be boiled, which obviously cannot be done on a BGE.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    Legume said:
    Heathen.  Hot dogs are meant to be boiled, which obviously cannot be done on a BGE.

surprised nobody is using the  sous vide. they are already vacuum packed, then grilling them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:

surprised nobody is using the  sous vide. they are already vacuum packed, then grilling them
    I thought about that today.  They are already tender and cooker, so not sure on the benefit.  

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:

I thought about that today.  They are already tender and cooker, so not sure on the benefit.  

hundreds at a time in a big cooler without boiling all that healthy salt out.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:

sous vide hard cider dogs with pineapple =)

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:

Oh my.  Sous Vide bacon.  Genius.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    either serious eats or chef steps does bacon. 145 over night then sear one side only. use your knife to cut your own or just cook a store bought package
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:

Oh my.  Sous Vide bacon.  Genius.
    Bacon wasn’t in the SV, just the sausage.  I don’t know why.