Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    For those that care (likely no one but me) USPS still has no idea where my BM Bailout is.   

Great group to deal with
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    For those that care (likely no one but me) USPS still has no idea where my BM Bailout is.   

Great group to deal with
    That sucks.  Hopefully it is found soon, or seller sends you a replacement.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TechsasJim

Great group to deal with
    That sucks.  Hopefully it is found soon, or seller sends you a replacement.
    yeah, from my usual dealer, BladHQ so I’m sure they will make it whole at some point.    
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

Great group to deal with

The last shipment I ordered through USPS took 14 days to ship 1.5 half state's away. There's still hope....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I would file the official complaint.  They are quite responsive to those.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    lousubcap said:
    Yes sir, this has been done now.     
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    edited February 2023
    Nothing special except for the Keen Kutter K33 at bottom, only because it belonged to my maternal grandfather.  Plus it has survived the TSA mail it back or lose it program.
    Edit to add: the K33 is the go-to for the fine trimming on ribs.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @dbCooper - Where were you lucky enough to find the TSA mail return service as I know it exists in L'ville compliments of UPS.  $20 and you can send it back to your address of choice.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    lousubcap said:
    @dbCooper - Where were you lucky enough to find the TSA mail return service as I know it exists in L'ville compliments of UPS.  $20 and you can send it back to your address of choice.  

@lousubcap - Kansas City (MCI), they had a dropbox with self-mailer envelopes.  If remembering right it cost $15. and cash was placed in the envelope.  Pleasantly surprised when it showed up 5-6 weeks later.  Can't say with any certainty who delivered it.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • TechsasJim
    lousubcap said:
     Cap, as usual you were right.   Filed my complaint early this morning and suddenly things are happening.    Had a VM from Usps that there is movement and now to be delivered Monday—allegedly.    But it is past the stall…more to follow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @TechsasJim. How long has it been since they shipped the Bugout?  Like 8-9 days?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My neighbor did delivery audits for the post office.  They would send letters from all over and time them.  LA to New Orleans took 2 days, he said, but a letter mailed from the post office where they had a P.O. Box (mailed 40 feet away from the mail’s destination) too 30 days and went all over as far as St Louis. 
    A lot of vendors are very quick to send out a tracking number almost as soon as an order is placed. That frequently is just an automatically generated part of their order system and often doesn't mean that an item has actually even been pulled off the shelf, boxed, and delivered to the shipper.

In my experience it is not uncommon for there to be no real movement for a few days after the order was placed.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TechsasJim
    @TechsasJim. How long has it been since they shipped the Bugout?  Like 8-9 days?
    I forget when they shipped, maybe 9-10 days ago.  But the delivery date Usps provided was the 31st — then it sat who know where for 5 days.   It’s still sitting who knows where but they have adjusted the delivery date to this coming Monday.  

🤷‍♂️
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    HeavyG said:
    A lot of vendors are very quick to send out a tracking number almost as soon as an order is placed. That frequently is just an automatically generated part of their order system and often doesn't mean that an item has actually even been pulled off the shelf, boxed, and delivered to the shipper. 
    Yup.  I often get an email saying "Step 1: Shipping Label printed!" and then nothing else (no response from the tracking number) for a few days.  

Possibly Useful Tip:  Copying a tracking number, and then pasting it directly into the Safari "address bar" at the top, gives you the current status.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    .still waiting for my check from Nigeria that was sent usps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My neighbor did delivery audits for the post office.  They would send letters from all over and time them.  LA to New Orleans took 2 days, he said, but a letter mailed from the post office where they had a P.O. Box (mailed 40 feet away from the mail’s destination) too 30 days and went all over as far as St Louis. 
    As a person who mails 3 to 10 packages per day and have now for 21 years I really have found the USPO has greatly improved over the passed 3 years. I, too, have some  
    crazy delivery delay/speed stories, but hopefully delivery issues are behind us!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:
    Yup.  I often get an email saying "Step 1: Shipping Label printed!" and then nothing else (no response from the tracking number) for a few days.  

Possibly Useful Tip:  Copying a tracking number, and then pasting it directly into the Safari "address bar" at the top, gives you the current status.  

I rely on this: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/deliveries-a-package-tracker/id290986013

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    As a person who mails 3 to 10 packages per day and have now for 21 years I really have found the USPO has greatly improved over the passed 3 years. I, too, have some  
    crazy delivery delay/speed stories, but hopefully delivery issues are behind us!
    3-10 packages per day?  What do you do?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    RRP said:
    They seem to know when there's a big check in there, seems two to three weeks is the norm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    RRP said:
    I make a market in antique slide rules which earlier engineers used to calculate the very complex problems such as the one you posted today! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    I make a market in antique slide rules which earlier engineers used to calculate the very complex problems such as the one you posted today! 

Dang.  Didn't realize slide rules were in such demand.  Guess there is a market for everything.  Too bad gaskets were in such demand.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I live Kershaw flippers, and BM axis lock.  So I was very excited when Kershaw released their Covalent with their version of the axis lock.  So far so good.  Love the size and blade geometry.  Action is a bit stiff, but expect it to free up after some use.

• @Ozzie_Isaac
    Looks great! In fact when I was looking at purchasing a new knife (due to this thread) it was between the iridium and covalent - went iridium. May have to put the covalent on my Father’s Day wish list. 
  • I had to deal with a package left on my doorstep Friday. My address but someone else’s name. Fortunately they had his cell number on it. He was across the street and one down. It was a CPAP machine.
  • TechsasJim
    Was looking at the pegboard in the garage and totally forgot I had this Kershaw carabiner knife.   Used to keep it clipped to the backpack during camping / backpacking trips.  

On a different note my BM Bailout is allegedly out for delivery.    Seeing is believing. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    bbracey21 said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    Looks great! In fact when I was looking at purchasing a new knife (due to this thread) it was between the iridium and covalent - went iridium. May have to put the covalent on my Father’s Day wish list. 
    The Covalent is a nice knife, but the Iridium definitely has a more "premium" feel with the aluminum scales.  The flipper action and the axis lock though makes a great EDC.