Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pocket Knives For Big Green Egg Cooks

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I am resisting the urge to sell my Gerber collection and buy a bugout.  Nice knife!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This OTF came in today.  Not the handle design I ordered but it’s acceptable.  The action is smooth.  Knife is very heavy.  If it holds up, it’s a bargain.  Jury is out.  I’ll probably customize the handle with a laser
    Never had an OTF—likely bc I’m afraid I’d puncture something near and dear to me.  Ha!

good looking though
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I bought one in Tijuana when I was a teenager.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited January 2023
    This OTF came in today.  Not the handle design I ordered but it’s acceptable.  The action is smooth.  Knife is very heavy.  If it holds up, it’s a bargain.  Jury is out.  I’ll probably customize the handle with a laser
    How's the lockup on a knife like that? Any play in it?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    I was in my tool chest and found one of my old Schrades.    Easily 40+ yrs ago when I was given, then poorly attempted to engrave the wood.  
    My guess is that is a buck. Shrade, camillius, and buck made knives with different logoes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    I was in my tool chest and found one of my old Schrades.    Easily 40+ yrs ago when I was given, then poorly attempted to engrave the wood.  
    My guess is that is a buck. Shrade, camillius, and buck made knives with different logoes
    As soon as I found it I assumed Buck.   Sheath said Schrade so I went with it but I agree!
  • TechsasJim
    For those Looking to sharpen pocket knives, I grabbed this to supplement my Spyderco Sharpmaker.   Grabbed it mainly to throw in a bag but I like it so much I may grab another to throw in a bag and keep this near the bench.  

Coarse and fine sides, ceramic rod that does multiple tools (serrated as well) and a stropp portion.  

I’m sure most of y’all have something similar but it’s a WorkSharp.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    As soon as I found it I assumed Buck.   Sheath said Schrade so I went with it but I agree!
    I’d bet good money that is a Buck. I have two, of different sizes, just like it that are Bucks.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• fishlessman
    All three made great steel in that era so it's not a problem but....I don't like that
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    For those Looking to sharpen pocket knives, I grabbed this to supplement my Spyderco Sharpmaker.   Grabbed it mainly to throw in a bag but I like it so much I may grab another to throw in a bag and keep this near the bench.  

Coarse and fine sides, ceramic rod that does multiple tools (serrated as well) and a stropp portion.  

How many bags?  That may need its own thread.
  • TechsasJim
    Legume said:

How many bags?  That may need its own thread.
    Lmao.   Honestly, 4.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited February 2023
    For those awaiting the next Dessert Warrior release:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Exclusive-Dessert-Warrior--174707
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • TechsasJim
    For those awaiting the next Dessert Warrior release:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Exclusive-Dessert-Warrior--174707
    Hard pass
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    After my last trip down the knife rabbit hole (last week), I have declared victory.  He!! I made it over two years since the last knife buy so I can run the table now.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    WeberWho said:
    Pretty good.  Hope it holds up over time.  There is no play in/out or side to side.  In the cutting directions, a little play, less than a degree.  I’m constantly impressed with this cheap OTF
    WeberWho said:
    Pretty good.  Hope it holds up over time.  There is no play in/out or side to side.  In the cutting directions, a little play, less than a degree.  I’m constantly impressed with this cheap OTF
    Sorry about the dirty, scarred up hand.

http://youtube.com/shorts/IE_YeeH2jDc?feature=share
  • Received my new Kershaw Iridium today. First impression is it’s really nice and the weight is great. Would have thought the aluminum scales would be slick but it’s got a little bit of a texture grip to it, so I like that. Love the blade finish and pretty sharp edge the from factory.

We’ve had freezing rain & ice the last two days so next time I’ll post it in action while using the BGE. 
  • TechsasJim
    Awesome, what kinda steel is the blade?    I can see some texture in the alum skins which is a good thing.  

Congrats!
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited February 2023
    lousubcap said:
    After my last trip down the knife rabbit hole (last week), I have declared victory.  He!! I made it over two years since the last knife buy so I can run the table now.   B)
    Unless I am mistaken, I think maybe you had indicated it was an Osborne you had ordered. Would love to see your review - especially if you could demonstrate the tool in action alongside your Santa Maria. 
  • lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations - your memory is spot-on but I will need some weather reprieve before the SM show...
    Hoping for a window in the next couple of weeks, but it is way too small for brisket so I will default to a rack of lamb or chix.  Don't hold your breath...
    But thanks for the thought.
    Opening comments-have had now for five days.  Life is not based on need alone and this falls into that category.  Fun to use, incredibly well built and sharp.  Well balanced, light weight for the size. Easy one hand opening.  Forcing myself to use it based on the non-need.  More to follow. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - your memory is spot-on but I will need some weather reprieve before the SM show...
    Hoping for a window in the next couple of weeks, but it is way too small for brisket so I will default to a rack of lamb or chix.  Don't hold your breath...
    But thanks for the thought.
    Opening comments-have had now for five days.  Life is not based on need alone and this falls into that category.  Fun to use, incredibly well built and sharp.  Well balanced, light weight for the size. Easy one hand opening.  Forcing myself to use it based on the non-need.  More to follow. 
    It's made for a nice caveman steak....
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Awesome, what kinda steel is the blade?    I can see some texture in the alum skins which is a good thing.  

Congrats!
    They used D2
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    It definitely is suited for a caveman steak.  However, firing up the SM for a caveman is well and truly over-kill but not outside the realm of possibility especially once we move past the ice storm (not like TX) coatings.  
  • Thanks @TechsasJim. Steel is D2 as @Ozzie_Isaacsaid. The bronze spacer which is also the lanyard loop makes it pop a little if looks mean anything to ya. I know most of us use them as tools but also nice to have something that looks pretty cool too. 
  • TechsasJim
    bbracey21 said:
    Thanks @TechsasJim. Steel is D2 as @Ozzie_Isaacsaid. The bronze spacer which is also the lanyard loop makes it pop a little if looks mean anything to ya. I know most of us use them as tools but also nice to have something that looks pretty cool too. 
    Great knife man!   D2 is tool grade steel so hard as hell and with those spacers you should get a nice and crisp open.   

Beautiful man, well done!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Hope you got one if you wanted one.  Notified at 10am they were in stock.  Sold out when I checked at 10:10am.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Notified at 10am they were in stock.  Sold out when I checked at 10:10am.
    Is it a super limited run? I don't get it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2023
    WeberWho said:
    Notified at 10am they were in stock. Sold out when I checked at 10:10am.
    Is it a super limited run? I don't get it. 
    Yes, Blade HQ releases these "Dessert Warrior" knifes occasionally.  Not sure on total quantity, but they sell out very quickly.  I don't have, nor actually tried to get one, but I enjoy tracking hype culture in certain items that interest me. 

Edit: Scalpers tend to buy these up, hype them up, then flip them.  Just like Rolex, XBoxes, and anything labeled Supreme.  All helped with TikTok and influencer culture.