Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guesstimate how much participating in this forum has cost you

I was thinking about this earlier today.   There are a couple current active threads that seems to have stimulated the economy.   

Sure we all have our proclivities but have you read through something here, become inspired, then purchased where you otherwise would not have 

I’m guessing between grilling items, torches (flashlights), knives (kitchen/pocket) and bourbon/spirits I have likely spent thousands that I may have not likely spent.   

Just throwing it out there.  I’m sure there are unique stories.  
LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• Whatever it is, it’s been worth it.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    edited January 2023
    Not bad for me for hardware.  An Ooni pizza oven, Anova and a few other specialty pans and things.  I'm under $1000 there.  Solo was influenced by reviews here, but not introduced here.

Not liquor, knives, flashlights, bass boats, spendy lawnmowers or vehicles.

It's the quality of the proteins for me and I don't even order SRF or anything like that.  This forum has educated me on all types of cooking and as a result the quality and variety of ingredients that I buy has gone up.

Edit - charcoal.  Definitely spendy charcoal.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Not gonna even speculate but let's just say in the cooker world itself, after the initial LBGE and rolling into this forum I have acquired a Lone Star Santa Maria rig (with argentine plug-in), a small Lang stick burner, a SBGE and a drum smoker.  
    If you then toss in the all to frequent SRF and other different food orders...
    You more than get the picture.
    At least I didn't buy a house or a major kitchen remodel or several freezers or go down the SV rabbit hole so there's that going for me!  🥃🍺
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Everything after my MBGE is due to this place.  I was happy as a clam with my Weber Genesis.  Then I got an MBGE and started hanging out here.  So a decent portion of my backyard is because of you misfits.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Everything after my MBGE is due to this place.  I was happy as a clam with my Weber Genesis.  Then I got an MBGE and started hanging out here.  So a decent portion of my backyard is because of you misfits.
    On behalf of the rest of the forum, you are most welcome.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Probably about $300

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    (@Caliking yo! Dude!  Put down $300 then send your wife a screen shot like me!)

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    I have looked into a lot of what y’all have posted.  Whether it be pizza ovens, woodworking tools…list goes on and on.   I haven’t bought much that’s been outside my wheelhouse.   I know what I like to spend $ on and sometimes this forum has shown me a new use for $ or has just accelerated a purchase I planned on anyway.   

Having said that, I did not further delve into @Ozzie_Isaac horse semen.   Yah, even though I’m from Texas that was still a hard pass-so thanks for saving me $ man!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    being a gadget freak, more than I can imagine  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Thousands. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lkapigian said:
    The friendship’s are invaluable, and anything I have spent money on I have profited from, so a win win 
    The above says it all-Way to capture the essence of this place @lkapigian.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You’re looking at it all wrong, guys. 

We’re a discerning community of enlightened consumers helping one another make savvy purchases. 

And let’s not forget all of the sales we’ve alerted one another to. 

The savings are untold. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    I was forced into a free 17 dollar phone to post here at camp....so not much for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Not putting a dollar figure on it. Started with MBGE, added a full outdoor kitchen. Added XLBGE, remodeled kitchen for 2 eggs. Got divorced, kept the eggs. Built new kitchen at the new place. However that is nothing compared to ingredients. You can buy a lot of rice and beans with SRF money. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • lousubcap
    Once you become serious about Q cooking then the nature of information here leads you to expand your game.  The wealth of knowledge and experiences across the cooking spectrum is a definite hook.  The degree to which you set the hook is personal. 
    You always know that there are members here who will answer your questions (about any topic)  and offer their best inputs and dang near around the clock, especially if cook related.  
    Shenanigans for sure as the humour (nod) and give and take make this place worth well beyond the price of admission. The BGE HQ and associated dealers should make this site a priority suggestion.

During the no contact covid year March 2020- April 2021 you could not come remotely close to putting a price on the value of time spent here in the Zoom environment and value received.  
    Personal thanks to @JohnInCarolina for the vision to set up those weekly Zooms at the front end of the covid isolation.  They were game changing events across a full landscape of topics-and some NSFW!!🥃
    Off soap box.  
  • Sous vide unit 
    MiniMax
    Roccbox
    KBQ
    Chamber sealer 
    many many SRF purchases
    Hundreds? of bottles of whiskey 
    A lot of cook books written by dudes with mustaches and tattoos

No ragrets!

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    At least you didn't pay for the ink or the plus up for spelling confirmation. 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 359
    edited January 2023
    I'm not going to quote a cost, it's embarrassing. However, there's the Mini BGE, the Roccbox pizza oven on its stainless steel table and the BlueStar stove. There might be a few smaller items that I've overlooked, too.
    I've gotta quit reading this forum before I go broke or worse, put on more weight.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Browsing my Snake River Farms emails and account history, I'd say over $3000.

Worth every penny.
    Mountain View, CA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    On a side note from this thread , the skill sets in the toolbox are huge 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I’m in deep. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    I’ve probably spent a couple hundred just this year… Anything prior to that, I have developed a slight case of amnesia, and I wouldn’t want it any other way!