Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chamber sealers.

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited December 2022
    She said she could have rolled it over the threshold and drug it to the guest bedroom closet like she did my planer “that you used once”.  So there’s that.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    She said she could have rolled it over the threshold and drug it to the guest bedroom closet like she did my planer “that you used once”.  So there’s that.
    Ok, that’s pretty funny. My wife just texts me “there’s a heavy box on the porch, come home and get it before someone steals it”!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Photo Egg said:
    Ok, that’s pretty funny. My wife just texts me “there’s a heavy box on the porch, come home and get it before someone steals it”!
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    She could have used the planer to prop the door open

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

• Can you boil water in a chamber sealer?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453

You are going to love this toy! Use a heavier bag and add some rubbing alcohol 1:1 to the water to make your own freeze packs, alcohol prevents it from freezing solid. IIRC @caliking suggested this is how you can also smuggle gin or vodka into venues where byob is not allowed  =)

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

Guessing you really don't trust the "zippers" in ziploc style bags.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I had a friend over and was playing @HeavyG. I am impressed so far, like I mentioned before almost everything I vacuum seal has some sort of liquid that ends up compromising the seal. I think I just proved that will no longer be a issue
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

Pretty cool to watch. It will be awesome to seal up left lunch meat or whatever without changing out the bag.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

Pretty cool to watch. It will be awesome to seal up left lunch meat or whatever without changing out the bag.
    There is a Momofuku recipe where you basically sous vide short ribs in a bag with a marinade.  I could never get those to seal properly with my old food saver rig.  I’d have to double bag it and it was a mess.  The chamber sealer handles it like a pro.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking

You are going to love this toy! Use a heavier bag and add some rubbing alcohol 1:1 to the water to make your own freeze packs, alcohol prevents it from freezing solid. IIRC @caliking suggested this is how you can also smuggle gin or vodka into venues where byob is not allowed  =)

Clear booze in a green plastic soda bottle has always worked. Don't try this on a cruise, though. People try to bring alcohol aboard in cases of water bottles. Security will shake the bottle(s). Alcohol gets all bubbly/foamy. Water doesn't.

What's the minimum bag thickness required? or does it work with all plastic bags?

• caliking
    HeavyG said:

Guessing you really don't trust the "zippers" in ziploc style bags.
    The ends of the zipper side are common points of failure. I don't usually implicitly trust them with fluids.

• Not sure @caliking you can adjust the seal time so I imagine it works with most bags with some trial and error 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Not sure @caliking you can adjust the seal time so I imagine it works with most bags with some trial and error 
    I was thinking the thickness of bag material, not the seal. Seal time can be adjusted according to bag material. Ziploc freezer should be fine but sandwich bag is too thin. Most common chamber sealer bags for home use are 3 mil.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Don't try moving it by yourself unless you have health insurance. 
    No kidding...
    Back in 2015 I somehow managed, by myself IIRC, to hoist it on top of the heavy duty SS cart on wheels. Never left that cart since.  Fast forward seven years, when I needed to raise it for an oil change recently, it was a struggle to lift each corner and slip a piece of 2x4 under  :) 
    Stupid me, just watched Vacmaster oil change video on ewetube... there's no need to raise the unit, just slide the back edge few inches over the cart top to gain access to the drain plug underneath, duh  :)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Botch said:
    No kidding...
    Back in 2015 I somehow managed, by myself IIRC, to hoist it on top of the heavy duty SS cart on wheels. Never left that cart since.  Fast forward seven years, when I needed to raise it for an oil change recently, it was a struggle to lift each corner and slip a piece of 2x4 under  :) 
    Stupid me, just watched Vacmaster oil change video on ewetube... there's no need to raise the unit, just slide the back edge few inches over the cart top to gain access to the drain plug underneath, duh  :)
    I crawled behind my iMac to plug in my cameras for seven years before I realized there was a USB port on the side of my keyboard.... :blush:  
    Haha, now I want to know how @nolaegghead did his vp215 oil change, I'll be mad if he knew this over the edge trick and kept it to himself, because I've posted about my stupid way several times  :)
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    No kidding...
    I crawled behind my iMac to plug in my cameras for seven years before I realized there was a USB port on the side of my keyboard.... :blush:  
    Haha, now I want to know how @nolaegghead did his vp215 oil change, I'll be mad if he knew this over the edge trick and kept it to himself, because I've posted about my stupid way several times  :)
    I think that’s how I changed mine….what’s the other way?

Can you boil water in a chamber sealer?  ;)
    Hahaha
    Botch said:
    No kidding...
    I think that’s how I changed mine….what’s the other way?

https://youtu.be/opX4XSRhpNU
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yep, that's how I changed mine.
    Yep, that's how I changed mine.
    Nice, and you have been too polite to correct my mistake  :o
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited December 2022
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Langner91 said:
    Googling chamber sealers.  I am going to need to just go ahead and rent the apartment next to mine to keep all this stuff!  You guys are killing me!
    I just told my wife, I need another pantry.  I added extra shelves last year, now I need to figure out some more storage.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    lkapigian said:
    Langner91 said:
    Googling chamber sealers.  I am going to need to just go ahead and rent the apartment next to mine to keep all this stuff!  You guys are killing me!
    I have a bedroom that is just cooking supplies , kids all gone so plenty of room, added racking system from Costco….Linda has no say in the matter lol HWMBO  =)
    Lol, HWMBO.  Living the dream right there.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    lkapigian said:
    Langner91 said:
    I have a bedroom that is just cooking supplies , kids all gone so plenty of room, added racking system from Costco….Linda has no say in the matter lol HWMBO  =)
    You must have a very comfortable couch in that room