Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chamber sealers.

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @Photo Egg, have a non chamber sealer that’s got some age on it but works for the larger things. Went ahead and bought. Will return if deemed too small to pack cuts of meat and 8 speckled trout filets per pouch. Thanks for the insight 
    That was kind of my thoughts.  I have wasted more than the current sales price on briskets I have then gone to screw up.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thank you @Canugghead
    @Canugghead didn't mention that the VP is somewhat user serviceable. I don't know if that is true about the Anova or Avid Armor ones.
    As far as serviceability goes, it boils down to dry pump (marketed as no maintenance or maintenance free) vs. oil pump (oil change needed as part of maintenance). Generally, higher priced units use oil pump.

Not all Vacmaster have oil pump:

Avid Armor also has dry pump for lower end units (upper row):

Anova has dry pump since it's Avid Armor USV20's cousin. Recently Anova had a 100-day free kick the tire promise, looks like it's over? What seems neat with the Anova are several preprogrammed functions, sort of like Blendtec vs. Vitamix.

What's impressive is the Vevor lineup, even the low end units have oil pump? I don't see them advertised as such but the bottle of oil included in accessory kit implies it is. They are pricier than Anova but no where near the VP price. IIRC @JohnInCarolina bought a Vevor, care to chime in John?

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

And, don't seal up hot liquids in a chamber sealer. Because... physics. 
    There ya go again, raining on his parade by getting all science-cy and stuff. 
    Rain on a parade is way better than an exploding bag of gravy!

...or stock! Can never forget or unsee what happened when Little Steven demo'd to me and swmbo his brand new toy VP sealing a bag of still quite warm stock  =)
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My buddy bought a Vevor.  Doesn’t seem to have the pneumatic or whatever it is to drive the sealer bar closed, so has a tendency to inflate the bag and push it out of the sealer bars.  Work around exists, but that’s one disadvantage.  

Last time I changed the oil in mine it looked new.  Never had anything sucked into it.  Moisture can build up in the oil.
    Options
    Changed my oil last week after 14 months, still looked quite clean, just a tad darker than new oil; I waited 19 months IIRC prior to the previous change and the used oil was way darker. I think once a year is a good balance for me, just dawn on me that my gallon jug of pump oil will last me 35+ years at this rate  =)  Would love to share some but no one that I know of needs it.

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Haha….I have a gallon too.  But I have a bunch of big vac pumps that I occasionally use for refrigeration, epoxy and clamping.  
    Nice post @Canugghead
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    This website should come with Credit Counseling.
    Or a “hide from your wife” credit card application 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:

And, don't seal up hot liquids in a chamber sealer. Because... physics. 
    There ya go again, raining on his parade by getting all science-cy and stuff. 
    Rain on a parade is way better than an exploding bag of gravy!

...or stock! Can never forget or unsee what happened when Little Steven demo'd to me and swmbo his brand new toy VP sealing a bag of still quite warm stock  =)
    That's the very story etched in my memory. I wasn't there, but just hearing about it was horrifying :)

Thanks for chiming in with your expertise. I knew you had more to add!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @Photo Egg, have a non chamber sealer that’s got some age on it but works for the larger things. Went ahead and bought. Will return if deemed too small to pack cuts of meat and 8 speckled trout filets per pouch. Thanks for the insight 
    That was kind of my thoughts.  I have wasted more than the current sales price on briskets I have then gone to screw up.
    Mine arrived today. Will package some leftover brisket and post results
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Mine is here too, but currently wrapped under the Christmas tree.  Looking forward to your impressions.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Would love to hear your feedback on these preprogrammed functions...

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Mine is here too, but currently wrapped under the Christmas tree.  Looking forward to your impressions.
    How do you know if it’s wrapped?  Maybe the wife bought you a bidet instead?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    How do you know if it’s wrapped?  Maybe the wife bought you a bidet instead?
    Lol, because I wrapped all the presents currently under the tree.  We are a very progressive home.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    So I had about 1.5# of the point left of that glorious wagyu brisket from the weekend. Cubed up nicely for either chili or tacos/nachos. Placed into Anova Bag and powered that puppy up. 

The presets confuse me. Just wanna seal the bag dammit! I chose the infuse extract mode with string vac and longer seal. 30 seconds later, voila! Sealed bag.

chamber big enough for my day to day needs. 1-1.5# packages with zero issues. Great for steaks, fish fillets, etc. Will boldly try with a liquid eventually 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:

A new Sonos Arc system showed up the same day.  Wife was looking at me.  I was looking at here, and in a panic I began wrapping the chamber sealer 😂
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Langner91 said:
    Tell me more about that! 😂🤣

Options
    paqman said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Langner91 said:
    Tell me more about that! 😂🤣
    Easy @paqman, have bill sent to office lol
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Nice!  Looking forward to your review.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    That's sweet. Mrs.C would beat me silly. Might be worth it. =)
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    MasterC said:
    That's sweet. Mrs.C would beat me silly. Might be worth it. =)

Swmbo got it for me for Christmas, and shes upset it sat nekked on the front porch but frankly she would not be able to muster the strength to move it let alone hid it somewhere. heavy.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options
    I hinted about the  anova to the whole clan, we'll see what lies under the tree.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    i am pulling for you buddy
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Options
    Don't try moving it by yourself unless you have health insurance. 
    No kidding...
    Back in 2015 I somehow managed, by myself IIRC, to hoist it on top of the heavy duty SS cart on wheels. Never left that cart since.  Fast forward seven years, when I needed to raise it for an oil change recently, it was a struggle to lift each corner and slip a piece of 2x4 under  :)
    canuckland