Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat church Texas Sugar

Options
2»

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    @Photo Egg

how did the date end?
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Cut off half the rack for dinner. The rest are still chugging along at 225.
    I see you have some Smokefire action going on there. Enjoy!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Cut off half the rack for dinner. The rest are still chugging along at 225.
    I see you have some Smokefire action going on there. Enjoy!
    Yes Sir. Just pulled the other rack and a half off. They look much better.
    I’m enjoying playing with the SF. Thank you
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those are some dang good looking ribs @Photo Egg

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    How did you like the Texas Sugar? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Yeah, man, what is the verdict?  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Obviously, if sweet is not your thing, avoid this rub. For me, it’s too sweet for most meats. On the ribs, I liked it. But I wanted more heat/bite. I also prefer brown sugar sweet on my ribs. I would rather just add a little brown sugar to another rub. But it’s a nice option and so far no clumping.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Did someone mention “Clumping”😳
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    SonVolt said:
    Obviously, if sweet is not your thing, avoid this rub. For me, it’s too sweet for most meats. On the ribs, I liked it. But I wanted more heat/bite. I also prefer brown sugar sweet on my ribs. I would rather just add a little brown sugar to another rub. But it’s a nice option and so far no clumping.
    Throw a coat of garlic jalapeño rub on first then use the Texas Sugar. Problem solved. Layering. The bark on the ribs looked spot on I must say. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    SonVolt said:
    Throw a coat of garlic jalapeño rub on first then use the Texas Sugar. Problem solved. Layering. The bark on the ribs looked spot on I must say. 
    I’m glad you mentioned the bark. This is where I struggle. With the fat content on these I expected an almost fried skin bark with no way to avoid it. But I don’t like it. Maybe a water mist every 30-45 minutes would help? But I can never get that nice bite through bark.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    SonVolt said:
    I’m glad you mentioned the bark. This is where I struggle. With the fat content on these I expected an almost fried skin bark with no way to avoid it. But I don’t like it. Maybe a water mist every 30-45 minutes would help? But I can never get that nice bite through bark.
    I roll mine at 275. Maybe sacrifice another slab and experiment. The higher heat will change the cook a bit. I get mine fairly dried out and then do a shortish wrap before removing them to dry them back out a bit. They are basically done when I complete the wrap. The rest is for tacking on sauce or some finishing rub for dry ones. @ 3.5 hours give or take. 

I do believe spritzing also builds bark. This works way better on the pellet cookers than in an egg IMO. The dry environment lends itself to that. A wrap will soften the bark a bit, maybe that’s what you’d like?
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Photo Egg said:
    SonVolt said:
    I roll mine at 275. Maybe sacrifice another slab and experiment. The higher heat will change the cook a bit. I get mine fairly dried out and then do a shortish wrap before removing them to dry them back out a bit. They are basically done when I complete the wrap. The rest is for tacking on sauce or some finishing rub for dry ones. @ 3.5 hours give or take. 

I do believe spritzing also builds bark. This works way better on the pellet cookers than in an egg IMO. The dry environment lends itself to that. A wrap will soften the bark a bit, maybe that’s what you’d like?
    As usual, great advice. Thank you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I would be start eating that platter with the red one on top and not stop until the red one on the bottom was gone!  Those are beautiful!

The next day would be brutal, but worth it!

Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options

Interesting! I'll have to try this. I haven't ever mixed rubs.
  • pgprescott
    Options

Interesting! I'll have to try this. I haven't ever mixed rubs.
    😳 it’s rare if I don’t. I use at least three on ribs. 

Heck, you can even layer with a spritz. Not everyone who spritzes is layering because some use just water. If you use a vinegar or fruit juice you are definitely layering. Just have to be careful not to burn the sugars in a sorta by using it too soon. 

Happy experimenting