Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat church Texas Sugar

Options
Meatchurch has a new rub.

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    How is it?    Have a lot of theirs but haven’t seen that one
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Seems like most rubs already have alot of sugar. Let us know what you think.
    We use MC Gospel as our go to now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Just bought it tonight. I took that pic in the grocery store parking lot. The first ingredient is sugar and it also has honey powder. I also bought a pork loin. Results coming this week.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy
    smart that seems like it would be the best application.   I’m a savory guy so I’ll likely abstain.  
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Love their their rubs.  Haven’t tried this one yet, but my current two favorites are Deez Nuts and Holy Voodoo.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I really enjoy MC’s voo doo and honey hog. Looking forward to the review 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    well I just went back and looked at Holy Voodoo, Gospel and Holy Gospel, which I all enjoy for pork and the first ingredient on all but Voodoo is sugar.  With this, I will seek out this new one.   
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I bought it at Rouse’s grocery store but today I also found it at Academy Sports.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    It will likely be Thursday before I try it due to incoming ☔️ 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    It will likely be Thursday before I try it due to incoming ☔️ 
    Can you please just get someone to hold the umbrella while you test cook this rub?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I bought it at Rouse’s grocery store but today I also found it at Academy Sports.
    Bought these at Rouse’s. Pretty good and fair price per ounce.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

That looks amazing, don’t buy much premade rubs but I’d try that , like the course texture 

FWIW, you can buy flavorings from Hoosier hill farms such as bacon honey etc if you want to emulate some of those commercial rubs 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Photo Egg said:

That looks amazing, don’t buy much premade rubs but I’d try that , like the course texture 

FWIW, you can buy flavorings from Hoosier hill farms such as bacon honey etc if you want to emulate some of those commercial rubs 
    Prime Rib rub is great.
    The Harvest blend is good mixed into almost anything.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    That’s awesome. I hope it comes to Academy everywhere. Looks like Walmart has 6 packs (not in stock). Higher price though. 

Snellville, GA

• Photo Egg
    edited December 2022
    Options
    That’s awesome. I hope it comes to Academy everywhere. Looks like Walmart has 6 packs (not in stock). Higher price though. 

Our Academy Sports store in Galveston is small compared to most of the other stores I have seen. I was surprised to see it here today. Academy has brought in some high priced lump in the past but ended up blowing it all out at 10 cents on the dollar. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @Photo Egg

i have yet to find Rockwood anywhere in the Houston area.  Guess I’ll swing by Academy today and check.  Although $30 for a 20# bag isn’t a great price, I get B&B 20# for $13 at H‑E‑B.  But with all good things I’ve heard about Rockwood it would be worth trying out.  
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    @Photo Egg

i have yet to find Rockwood anywhere in the Houston area.  Guess I’ll swing by Academy today and check.  Although $30 for a 20# bag isn’t a great price, I get B&B 20# for $13 at H‑E‑B.  But with all good things I’ve heard about Rockwood it would be worth trying out.  
    Try your ACE Hardware.  That is the only place I can find it here in Midland.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @Photo Egg

Ace is my usual haunt but have never seen it there.   BGE, B&B and that brazilian lump (Fogo?) is pretty much all they carry - at least the Ace closest to home.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @Photo Egg

Ace is my usual haunt but have never seen it there.   BGE, B&B and that brazilian lump (Fogo?) is pretty much all they carry - at least the Ace closest to home.

Order online and pick up in store at ace.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well I just put the pork loin in the Egg. I had coated it with this rub and let it warm up and cure out on the counter. It reminds me of curing a ham. 

As a coincidence this emptied out my Rockwood stockpile. Fingers crossed for my local ACE.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I bet that Harvest blend would be great on roasted potatoes.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Is it done yet!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @Photo Egg

Order online and pick up in store at ace.
    Solid option for sure but I doubt I’ll go that route.   If I see some I’ll grab a bag without question but I already have too many other rabbit holes, don’t need lump in the mix when B&B is readily available and trustworthy.   Hahaha
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Is it done yet!
    Yes though it isn’t dinner time yet. It looked like sugar and salt cured salmon. I did pull off a small sample . The honey powder isn’t real prominent and there’s a small pepper 🌶️ bite( guajilla?) that comes after a second. Over all good and if you let a pork loin cure for an hour or two before cooking it makes a great sub for ham.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Photo Egg

They have (or had) it at ace in The Heights. I have bought it there
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

thanks for this.   I sometimes make it down to those parts so if I happen to be I will definitely stop by.    

Thanks again!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    Look how cheap those ribs are lol! 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Nicely done!    I have a Tri Tip for tonight.   Probably should have gone the rib route seeing those prices!