Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP VILLAGE IDIOT

Gary Willson passed last night in Austin. 
Gary was an outstanding cook and photographer in the Egg community for a lot of years. 
I will miss him. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Thanks for letting us all know, Mickey.  I hope he passed peacefully and was with family at the time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RIP.. I did not know Gary but I do remember him on the forum
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm sorry to hear that. Prayer's to his family and friends. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    RIP fellow Egghead 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sad to hear this. I remember him not letting me feel like a stranger the first time I met him at Salado. 

RIP VI

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Thanks for letting us know! His posts when I first joined were all a gold mine of information. RIP to a great man!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Legend. Please send our best to Pam. Thanks for letting us know Mickey. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Sad news…..condolences to his family. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Thank you for letting us know.  Please send condolences to his family.  I loved his posts and learned a lot.  Very sad to see another of the OGs pass.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Sad to hear.  Great input when he provided it and one of the best forum names I’ve seen.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Thank you for passing along the news.  Condolences to his family and friends.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    edited December 2022
    Sad to hear….RIP VI

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Legume said:
    Sad to hear.  Great input when he provided it and one of the best forum names I’ve seen.
    2nd only to @ColAngus
  • So sorry to hear this news. Rest well VI and deepest condolences to those closest who knew him best…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Sad to hear. I never knew this member personally, but saw some good posts from him over time. His profile photo was very unique and always caught my attention. 
  • My condolences to Pam.  I’ll never forget the look on his face when I met him the first time.  I came up and told him I was tweev.  At Salado.
    Was there. Can confirm. You had the Name tag to match ha ha 
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Thank you for sharing Mickey 

prayers for Pam and the family 

may he Rest In Peace 
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    R.I.P VI🙏🏽💚🇺🇸
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • This is such sad news. Gary was a wonderful friend and great chef. He and Pam were so generous in sharing their home, while Gary shared his expertise in cooking, especially Asian fare. I'll never forget the "Dumpling Making Class", and wok cooking on the BGE, at Pam and Gary's. What a fun day that was!! Gary will be greatly missed.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Sorry to hear he passed. I always enjoyed our talks and especially his wit. I made sure I wondered by his table for good eats at Salado. The dude could cook. I appreciate you sharing the news. 
    tom

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    loco_engr said:
    I'll always remember this post by him
    RIP
    Our former provincial logo, since scrapped by Rob Ford's brother.

canuckland
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    RIP VI.  I read that post and my heart sank.  When I first got my egg, VI was very active on the forum, always put some much TLC into his posts . . . and super funny!  He was my fav.  Creative cooks and always took time to explain things.  I still make a few of his wok/asian recipes, his crab rangoons, etc.  RIP VI. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”