Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st run with Ooni Koda 16

As it turns out, meeting up with @Photo Egg for a few beers, will put a hole in my pocket. Came home with this Fri evening, after drinking away my sorrows with him for a few hours. 

So many ideas for what to cook with this thang, which I’ve quietly lusted after for some years. Figured I’d give naan a go. 

Cheater recipe for the dough. Opened up the dough on a “pillow”, docked, misted with water. 

Tried in a CI skillet first, on the cooler part of the stone. 

Burned the crap out of the first one (expected). Second one looked better. 

Tried another on parchment. The exposed parchment spontaneously combusted as I slid the naan in.  No harm done, though. 

Topped the last one with cilantro and garlic. Back in for a few seconds , resulted in this…

Quietly weeping that I didn’t buy this sooner. It’s really quite good for naan. It essentially fulfills the  criteria for “the face of the naan must see fire”. 

I’ve got a couple of other things lined up for dinner, so more to come. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• I have a feeling he is going to want it back by the end of this thread!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have a feeling he is going to want it back by the end of this thread!
    Nah. He always has bigger and better plans :)

• caliking said:
    I have a feeling he is going to want it back by the end of this thread!
    Nah. He always has bigger and better plans :)
    “But is bigger… always better?” - that’s what he said
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Looks fantastic!
    If anyone could pull off naan on a Ooni it’s you.
    Just for comparison…how much was the other heavy cardboard box purchased that night. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic!
    Just for comparison…how much was the other heavy cardboard box purchased that night. Ha Ha
    Very interested in seeing what the other box had inside of it?🤔🙈
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • caliking
    sancho65 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic!
    Very interested in seeing what the other box had inside of it?🤔🙈
    Some beers. We were at a small joint which had a great selection, that beat a lot of the bigger places. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic!
    It was less than the Ooni box, so that’s what I lead with :)

Actually, I walked in and said “You know how I always say you’re the best wife in the whole world?” And, somehow, it worked. Again. Sort of. 
    Rice cooker really was a gateway drug.  Looking forward to seeing how you put this to use.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Looks fantastic!
    It was less than the Ooni box, so that’s what I lead with :)

Actually, I walked in and said “You know how I always say you’re the best wife in the whole world?” And, somehow, it worked. Again. Sort of. 
    Rice cooker really was a gateway drug.  Looking forward to seeing how you put this to use.
    It likely was. I think she’s just worn down after nearly 20yrs of putting up with me! 

This has real potential as a high heat cooker. I’m excited about it. 

• Photo Egg
    edited December 2022
    Check your phone text messages. I just sent you a link to your next apology.
    Great photos above! Don’t get your phone to close…
    Years ago I was trying to get a flashback photo while I was making pizzas. Wife said be careful or you’ll melt your camera. I said not a chance, this is your camera…
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    You are evil, sir. Pure evil!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    How did it do with the scallops?  Did you preheat the ci?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Wow is an understatement. So did you settle on making naan in CI or floor? Looks like you docked it to prevent puffing like balloon? I've yet to try naan seriously in the pizza oven.

Next up: chamber sealer!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Legume said:
    The scallops were overdone. I did preheat the skillet, but the deck was temping 900+ , the skillet 700ish. 

Next time, I’ll dry the scallops better, and  pull them sooner. 

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    Great photos above! Don’t get your phone to close…
    Years ago I was trying to get a flashback photo while I was making pizzas. Wife said be careful or you’ll melt your camera. I said not a chance, this is your camera…
    Ha! I briefly had a similar thought, when I felt the heat. Except it was “good thing this is my work phone…”

• Ozzie_Isaac
    This stuff works great on the high heat ovens.  I use their steak plates.

https://www.theoysterbed.com/collections/mainstay-products
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    The scallops were overdone. I did preheat the skillet, but the deck was temping 900+ , the skillet 700ish. 

Possibly the high temp insulation I added below the stone is working to well for your needs. Maybe try a test after carefully removing the insulation. It’s very soft and stretchy. Almost like the cotton wrap you would use under a limb or body cast. You can also tweak the temp with control knob on the propane bottle but it can be sensitive.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking

Y'all are the opposite of AA for cooking. 

I had convinced myself that I didn't need those, when someone posted about them a while back. Until...

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Possibly the high temp insulation I added below the stone is working to well for your needs. Maybe try a test after carefully removing the insulation. It’s very soft and stretchy. Almost like the cotton wrap you would use under a limb or body cast. You can also tweak the temp with control knob on the propane bottle but it can be sensitive.
    Ah. I didn't think about controlling gas flow from the tank. This thing was blazing even at the lowest setting. 

• Photo Egg
    edited December 2022
    caliking said:

I had convinced myself that I didn't need those, when someone posted about them a while back. Until...
    Never fear… I know a guy who knows a guy that might have some that fit the Ooni.lol

But the handles on the CI makes it safer and faster to slide in and out.IMO
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Someone should come up with a contraption to slide out the heated stone! Seriously though, with 62.5% hydration I'm able to launch pizza off wooden peel with very little flour but I think naan dough is usually stickier?

btw, the formal dining room idea is copyrighted  ;)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Someone should come up with a contraption to slide out the heated stone! Seriously though, with 62.5% hydration I'm able to launch pizza off wooden peel with very little flour but I think naan dough is usually stickier?

Yes, the naan dough is quite sticky/tacky. I think I could make it work, though. It's worth a try. 

Just so you know, inspired by the best, the big slicer lives in the formal dining. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    edited December 2022

Buy a stone that you can place/slide on top of the existing Ooni stone .
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    edited December 2022
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Ah. I didn't think about controlling gas flow from the tank. This thing was blazing even at the lowest setting. 
    There might be some better tips on the Ooni forum as well.
    I also remember reading somewhere about opening the propane bottle valve very quickly to trip the internal safety limiter in order to slow the propane flow.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

Never fear… I know a guy who knows a guy that might have some that fit the Ooni.lol

I found a pizza turner works great for dealing with these, so does a longer welding glove.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:

I found a pizza turner works great for dealing with these, so does a longer welding glove.
    I agree that would definitely help, and is basically a must have. And I love the Oyster Bed stuff…but they are smooth and slippery. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Another "tempts me to consider new toys" thread. And Mrs. Stormbringer has been wondering about what Santa should bring me. :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• caliking
    HeavyG said:

Buy a stone that you can place/slide on top of the existing Ooni stone .
    Easier to slide a pan in and out. Although, if the oven runs as hot as it does, one could place a stone in a CI pan, and be able to move it.