Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your favourite (nod) steak cut debate- rib eye, strip, tenderlion, skirt, hanger, flank, other???

Woulda offered more choices up top but ran out on characters-you get it. Intentionally not addressing the pedigree.  
Mine is ribeye.  The taste and texture profile win across all the others.  I will readily enjoy other listed cuts and for more beefiness, the hanger and skirt cuts win.  What say you?
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Incendiary post for a non-Friday. I am a big fan of rib eyes, but filet mignon tends to rule in this household, as that’s what’s best enjoyed by my gal. 

What about yourself?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,567
    Bourbon Sunday night and just decided to toss it out there-no fire works intended or expected.  Just offer a comment.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I’m with the ribeye.  I’ve had some filets that were incredible, but if I’m cooking for friends and I want to impress?  Ribeye every time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    I am a fan of the Porterhouses myself if having a special event. My wife and I enjoy a Flat-iron for a steak for two at home.,
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,811
    Ribeye is my #1 with flat iron & skirt being #2. However, I wouldn’t cull any of the above.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,050
    If I’m grilling to have a steak, it’s a strip steak. Otherwise skirt and flatiron make me very happy too.

if it’s a family gathering, whole tenderloin or tri tip.
    Not a felon
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,348
    Ribeye for me, close 2nd is Porterhouse (strip/tenderloin all-in-one).
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I’ve always been a ribeye guy. That said it has to be 2” thick to really impress. I’ve been a huge flatiron guy for about ten - fifteen years or so. It really hurts me that so many others have found the flatiron. They used to be so inexpensive relative to the market. 😁. I also really enjoy prime grade strips. Also 2” thick. 

I have great affinity for many cuts depending on my mood and the looks of the particular protein when I’m standing at the counter. 
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 291
    Think I am in the ribeye camp followed by picanha and then the cousin of flank steak "flap meat".
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,203
    edited December 2022
    1. Calotte
    2. New York Strip
    3. Outside Skirt Steak
    4. Ribeye
    5. Tri-tip 
    6. Filet Mignon

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    edited December 2022
    1. Calotte
    That ^^^^^^ is just a real fancy word for taint  :whistle:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810

Labia majora?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:

Labia majora?
    I’m guessing you haven’t seen in it quite some time?  You’re more of a back door man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I like the grainy stuff. Skirt, flap, flank. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ribeye is mine and my sons favorite. Wife and daughter prefer a filet. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,567
    Some great commentary above- B)
  • NY strips. Every once in a while I’ll go bone in ribeye but 9 out of 10 times, it’s a strip. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    What he said ^^^

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    SGH said:
    If anus could be cut into steaks it would without question or debate be number one. However since it cannot be im forced to vote bone in rib-eye 👍
    assamari?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    My favorite steak is beef.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    At a restaurant probably fillet because the quality in a small portion allows for enjoying sides/first course/etc. At home where I might just be cooking myself a steak with minimal side fuss, big ole ribeye has been the go to. I’m late to the party discovering flat iron steaks though, so I’m now also one of those annoying folks snagging those up from those of you who were already in the know.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,217
    bone in strip when i can find them but cook more bone in choice ribeyes, i dont like fatty well marbled ribeyes. my favorite would be a short rib cooked like a steak though, tender and full meat flavor

School me on beef ribs  Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I like ribeye and a NY strip, also T-Bone, but I guess I"m in the minority here.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 418
    If I'm eating it as a steak, NY Strip.
    If it'll be refrigerated and cut for sandwiches, flap or Tri-Tip.
    Don't care for ribeye at all.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,217
    I like ribeye and a NY strip, also T-Bone, but I guess I"m in the minority here.

i would go tbone over porterhouse as well, more flavor on that side of the primal. tenderloin has no flavor......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like ribeye and a NY strip, also T-Bone, but I guess I"m in the minority here.

i would go tbone over porterhouse as well, more flavor on that side of the primal. tenderloin has no flavor......
    The strip side of a t bone and porterhouse should be virtually identical. It’s the tenderloin side that increases on the porterhouse. So you will get the same strip plus more tenderloin. Which even if it’s not your favorite, is better than less. Otherwise get the strip exclusively and that’s the least amount of tenderloin possible. 😁
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,975
    edited December 2022
    Ribeye hands down!!! Unless I'm dining at my favorite steakhouse and then it is a huge New York strip...But for the 2 bills it costs us to eat there then I can buy MANY nice premium choice ribeyes for egging at home!