Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your favourite (nod) steak cut debate- rib eye, strip, tenderlion, skirt, hanger, flank, other???

2»

Comments

• Ribeye for me😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    In a vacuum, I'd probably say ribeye.  But given that I can generally get strips or flank for $3-5 less per pound, that is pretty exclusively what we cook and eat.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    If we are talking individual steaks, I always go for a ribeye, and Ynette gets a filet. The only time I eat a filet is when it is in a Beef Wellington. However, we cook more tri-tips than regular steaks, because one cook of two tri-tips (one rare for me, one medium for Ynette) can feed us for quite a few meals.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,206
    Yno said:
    If we are talking individual steaks, I always go for a ribeye, and Ynette gets a filet. The only time I eat a filet is when it is in a Beef Wellington. However, we cook more tri-tips than regular steaks, because one cook of two tri-tips (one rare for me, one medium for Ynette) can feed us for quite a few meals.
    My mind just blew.  In our house, when I cook steak it is all the same cut, even though we have different preferences.  I guess I could buy different cuts at the same time.  I will look like a hero during the next cook when the wife gets her preferred filet, and I get strip or spinalis dorsi.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,217
    I like ribeye and a NY strip, also T-Bone, but I guess I"m in the minority here.

i would go tbone over porterhouse as well, more flavor on that side of the primal. tenderloin has no flavor......
    The strip side of a t bone and porterhouse should be virtually identical. It’s the tenderloin side that increases on the porterhouse. So you will get the same strip plus more tenderloin. Which even if it’s not your favorite, is better than less. Otherwise get the strip exclusively and that’s the least amount of tenderloin possible. 😁

the front end of the primal strip, tbone end, has a meatier taste over the back end strip of the porterhouse on the primal. was a time when i could get it dry aged 45 days and cut infront of me. the strip on the tbone has a little more chew than the strip end of the porterhouse side but more of that strip flavor. if you can get a cut off both ends of the same primal you will notice a difference, especially if its not dryaged or only a 21 day dryaged.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    with a 45 day dry aged steak, i dont care if its tbone or porterhouse though

100_1063jpg

It’s clearly a porterhouse! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,059
    Ribeye for the win and washed down with a good IPA.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,217
    29 ounces, two days to eat it. way back machine..........six years ago....... 19.99 a pound for a 45 day dry aged porterhouse. never going to see those prices again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited December 2022
    Tenderloin here! Yes I'm weird. With a good cast iron sear, some parmesan/butter crust coupled with the silky tenderness and texture of a filet. The relatively mild flavor allows one to play around with toppings; that's it for me.
    But I love them all and wouldn't turn down any of them. For a quick weeknight cook it's skirt or flank. Heck, I've even enjoyed a Walmart "premium" (aka sirloin) cut from time to time.
    Had a bone in filet (oxymoron i know) just the other night at the best steakhouse (IMHO) in the ATL. 14 OZ of pure greatness.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,593
    Ribeye is my favorite without a doubt. I'll take a porterhouse from time to time ... in fact I had a really good one just 1 week ago at a restaurant. .. 35 days dry aged ... and properly dry aged, was amazing.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ribeye
    Memphis  
  • Ribeye cap and Ribeyes
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    My go to is ribeye, wife’s is filet.   

Honorable mentions are flat iron and Tri Tip
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,276
    Ribeye cap is my all time favorite.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,132
    WeberWho said:
    Grew up on flank steak. So I love that beefy flavor. Tri-tip for the win. 
    Also grew up on Flank Steak.  My dad would mix up one of these https://www.mccormick.com/lawrys/flavors/seasoning-mixes/tenderizing-beef-marinade-mix in a pan and drop the Flank Steak in it.  Then onto the Gas grill- it was so good.

And I agree now that Ive tasted Tri-Tip that is pretty close to top.

For me a Strip with a fairly heavy peppercorn crust is hard to beat.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 165
    Rib eyes and Delmonico for me.  Although I have been eating more filet lately just because I can't finish the entire rib steak - even over a couple of days.
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 152
    this is a tough one. spinalis if I'm looking to go fancy.  Otherwise, go-to is a nice, thick ribeye.  Hard to beat outside skirt for taco/nacho nights.  Too much good beef to choose just one.
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,811
    CodyA88 said:
    this is a tough one. spinalis if I'm looking to go fancy.  Otherwise, go-to is a nice, thick ribeye.  Hard to beat outside skirt for taco/nacho nights.  Too much good beef to choose just one.
    FWIW I tried to “like” and “agree” to this post and it wouldn’t let me do both. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,568
    Just like real world voting-(in most cases) you get one vote... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    1/2 inch
    How have you been my friend? Happy Hollidays to you and your wife. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SandyHookEgger
    SandyHookEgger Posts: 451
    edited December 2022
    1/2 inch
    How have you been my friend? Happy Hollidays to you and your wife. 
    I am fine. How about you? Happy Holidays to you and your wife as well. Would request a Bloody Mary but you would send one. So I did not request.
  • caliking said:
    What he said ^^^
    Same here - NY strip most of the time, a ribeye now and again.

• Ribeye cap, 60 day aged ribeye, flat iron, tri tip. I would take any of those any day of the week.