Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Rotisserie

Options
1235»

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Will this work with a rutland gasket?  Maybe just add a felt gasket to the top of the rotisserie?
    I have a top gasket that is in pretty good shape, and this doesn't seal at all.  So, I am sure you will be fine without a top gasket.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Started the pork butt al pastor. I have no idea how long this might take....

Oh man.  I think it’s gonna be worth the wait…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Langner91 said:

Cook, shave, eat, repeat...
    canuckland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I like mine on real good corn tortillas with some diced white onion and cilantro. Enjoy! 🤤
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I couldn't control the dome temp below 450°F due to the leak that I showed above.  I will have to see if I can adjust somehow because that temperature cooked the pork too fast for my taste.  I would have liked to keep it 300°-350°F maximum, but I had the vents closed and it was at 450°-500° for most of the cook.  An hour after removing the skewer it was still at 450°.  

I pulled the wedge out in order to shut it down.

Both this and the pizza wedge will make lump sales go up at this rate.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2022
    Options
    From the pics, looks like you had some serious heat going once all that lump ignited. I'd probably use half that and bank it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Will this work with a rutland gasket?  Maybe just add a felt gasket to the top of the rotisserie?
    I have a top gasket that is in pretty good shape, and this doesn't seal at all.  So, I am sure you will be fine without a top gasket.

Do you have underbite? When I got the LetzQ I had the same issue with smoke leakage, but it was because the large had underbite. I fixed the underbite and no more smoke. I have the old bands. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 151
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I couldn't control the dome temp below 450°F due to the leak that I showed above.  I will have to see if I can adjust somehow because that temperature cooked the pork too fast for my taste.  I would have liked to keep it 300°-350°F maximum, but I had the vents closed and it was at 450°-500° for most of the cook.  An hour after removing the skewer it was still at 450°.  

I pulled the wedge out in order to shut it down.

Both this and the pizza wedge will make lump sales go up at this rate.
    I’d try using a lot less lump. And go with a divider or bank to the back. I’ve just got a Rutland on the bottom and I had no issues keeping it at 350° for my cooks. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Do you Rotisserie lid open the whole cook?
    Columbus, Ohio
  • cmac610
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    Do you Rotisserie lid open the whole cook?
    Unless you’re looking to go hot and fast, most of the rotisserie cooks will be closed dome. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Yeah, I didn’t use a small amount of lump or bank it but I did light it in the back. Also I had it closed down similar to a low and slow cook. You have the additional air draft from the area around the spit too. Another little gimmick for lowering temp is to use the ash tool to move it around and disturb the coal bed. It seems to interrupt the efficiency of the burn a bit. 

Looks like you’ll have to try again. What a bummer!😁 The first attempt looked more than edible to me.🤤 

• armyguy13
    Options
    Anyone know when the tumbler and the flat basket are going to be released? 
  • cmac610
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I haven't seen them, but they should be out.  
    Not out yet. Supposed to be 1st quarter 2023. 
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA