Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-2022 World Cup-first match Sunday 11/20-USA opens 11/21-2 PM (EST)-OT

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Said on the news just now one upcoming game will be 100% officiated by women, first time in fütball.  I'm kinda surprised Qatar agreed to this, given they won't even let women from their own country attend the games.  

Qatari women, and any woman from any other country, are allowed to attend World Cup matches. There are dress codes they need to follow but that is normally the case anyway.
    I saw today that the US Mens team will have to share their winnings with the US Womens team. They are to get $13 million for getting to next round so the women
    will get $6.5 million. I wonder how many other teams that made it to next round will do the same? In the past, the US womens team lost to FC Dallas U15 boys team 5-2

The pay disparity between the US national teams was settled in an agreement a while back.
    The $6.5 million the USWNT will receive due to the USMNT reaching the knockout round in the current WC is more than the US women received in the past even when they won TWO World Cups (when was the last time the US men won a WC, I forget?).
    It seems that one can believe in pay equity and/or pay for performance. If one thinks that it should only be pay for performance then it seems the US men are the ones that should be on the bottom of the pay scale.

sounds like Communism

Naaahhh...it's just a long overdue response to decades long misogyny/patriarchy/cronyism. The US was the first nation to establish some level of equity among it's NATIONAL teams. Others will soon follow. It will take a bit longer for FIFA to come around.

Do you think the revenue sharing that is practiced by the NFL and MLB (and many other leagues) is "communism"?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Said on the news just now one upcoming game will be 100% officiated by women, first time in fütball.  I'm kinda surprised Qatar agreed to this, given they won't even let women from their own country attend the games.  

Qatari women, and any woman from any other country, are allowed to attend World Cup matches. There are dress codes they need to follow but that is normally the case anyway.
    I saw today that the US Mens team will have to share their winnings with the US Womens team. They are to get $13 million for getting to next round so the women
    will get $6.5 million. I wonder how many other teams that made it to next round will do the same? In the past, the US womens team lost to FC Dallas U15 boys team 5-2

The pay disparity between the US national teams was settled in an agreement a while back.
    The $6.5 million the USWNT will receive due to the USMNT reaching the knockout round in the current WC is more than the US women received in the past even when they won TWO World Cups (when was the last time the US men won a WC, I forget?).
    It seems that one can believe in pay equity and/or pay for performance. If one thinks that it should only be pay for performance then it seems the US men are the ones that should be on the bottom of the pay scale.

sounds like Communism

Naaahhh...it's just a long overdue response to decades long misogyny/patriarchy/cronyism. The US was the first nation to establish some level of equity among it's NATIONAL teams. Others will soon follow. It will take a bit longer for FIFA to come around.

Do you think the revenue sharing that is practiced by the NFL and MLB (and many other leagues) is "communism"?
    I think what you earn is yous not someone elses.

• HeavyG
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

sounds like Communism

So in Tspud World pro football and baseball are hives of commies. Good to know.
    Cheers!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

sounds like Communism

The money paid out goes to the country’s soccer federation - they don’t have to share the winnings with the players at all (some don’t).  US shares on the high side with players compared to other nations.

The US men's and women's players associations (eg the players themselves) voted to agree to a pooling and sharing situation, so I guess I don't get your beef unless you just didn't read beyond a headline or something regarding the pooling.
  • Legume
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

sounds like Communism

So in Tspud World pro football and baseball are hives of commies. Good to know.
    Cheers!

HA!

Isn't the revenue sharing among the owners with MLB and NFL?  That would make the owners...nah, that can't be it.  They are smart uber capitalists that know that's best for the sport and creates a better product which drives increased revenue.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Another crazy finish day EH!
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    It's almost showtime!  Go USA 🇺🇸⚽️
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    It’s not looking good for the women’s team to get a bigger payday here.
  • lousubcap
    Legume said:
    It’s not looking good for the women’s team to get a bigger payday here.
    well played!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Just checking the fixtures for the quarter finals and can’t seem to find USA listed. 🤔
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Now that Gabriel Jesus is out for three months I’d very much appreciate Southgate putting Saka in bubble wrap for the rest of the tournament (or sit him and lose to France, whatever works).

Anyway, now that the US is out, what are our thoughts?  It seemed much better than the last Round of 16 game we lost, when Tim Howard had to make 16 saves to keep us from getting completely embarrassed by Belgium.  There were definitely long stretches where we were better than the Dutch, and MMA were one of the stronger midfields in the tournament.  I know that both Dest and Robinson had lapses that led to goals yesterday, but I think they remain obvious first choice selections.

For the bad - WTF was Jesus Ferrera doing starting that game yesterday?  I know Bertholder did what was expected, but I’m still not convinced that he can do anything more.  I hope the Jurgen experience doesn’t lead to US soccer rejecting any foreign coaches.  Another WTF - we had a set piece coach?  What did they do for us?

We need to find a central defender pair, and figure out the attack; either get an actual striker who can play in the air, or get a coach who’ll just play Reyna/Pulisic/Weah across the front and adjust tactics.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    So far Italy not getting there and then Germany & Belgium sliding out at the group stage are the major stories.
    Of the remaining four games, Japan or Switzerland could be the surprise package for the quarters.

For USA, the next tournament is a mixed blessing; being at home is a boost but the lack of competitive qualifiers a hinderance.    Any chance USA could participate in Copa America in '24? 

USA will fare better at competitons as more of their team experience success at the top level in Europe. No more complicated than that.  There is already infrastructure and a supply line in place, perhaps the next 4 years will consolidate and build support too - unlike in 94?  

The USA 2026 team will comprise players already amongst the top level and in their early 20's, plus or minus the odd hotshot teenager.   Therefore if the rump of the squad is in the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A, La Lige and to a lesser degree Ligue 1 - which is now just PSG plus feeder clubs, then improvement will follow on. 

Interesting to see who the next USA coach is, and when. The skills and role of the international coach is very different to club football.  Southgate was part of the England football infrastructure longer than he was a club manager, which has undoubtedly helped his execution of the role, unadulterated by a decade or more locked in the club environment.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    CPFC1905 said:
    Just checking the fixtures for the quarter finals and can’t seem to find USA listed. 🤔

the usa team only plays soccer during the off season.  the rest of the year they are an elite broom hockey team. the soccer just keeps them in shape

2018 BOSS Strong Broomball tournament 45637604232jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    He!! of a performance by the Croatian keeper in the PK shootout with Japan.  3 saves...Wow!
  • CPFC1905
    lousubcap said:
    He!! of a performance by the Croatian keeper in the PK shootout with Japan.  3 saves...Wow!
    As you well know, I ask I am no expert - but I feel The Boys from Brazil could sneak this one.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:
    As you well know, I ask I am no expert - but I feel The Boys from Brazil could sneak this one.
    They are looking good.  

On another note, I have a question for you @CPFC1905.  Would the English fans rather lose to France in regular time - or be subjected to the inevitable loss on penalty kicks?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:
    They are looking good.  

On another note, I have a question for you @CPFC1905.  Would the English fans rather lose to France in regular time - or be subjected to the inevitable loss on penalty kicks?
    I don’t foresee an abject capitulation, which would be the most painful.  After that, taking the lead and ultimately going out on penalties would be worse than just being beaten inside the 90. 
    I’ll report back in due course because you won’t have the luxury of this experience. 
  • Canugghead
    Darn, was watching Morocco/Spain on PVR and it ran out of time before end of extra time.

If it's any consolation, perhaps canucks can be excused for ending up in bottom of their group... unlucky against Belgium; Croatia and Morocco are QF caliber or better.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    @Canugghead - my DVR setup when recording sports programs always asks if I want to add 30 minutes to the programmed time.  For the remaining WC matches, just record the next program as well since the extra 30 minutes will only get to the end of ET.  FWIW-
  • Canugghead
    lousubcap said:
    @Canugghead - my DVR setup when recording sports programs always asks if I want to add 30 minutes to the programmed time.  For the remaining WC matches, just record the next program as well since the extra 30 minutes will only get to the end of ET.  FWIW-
    Set mine to +30 min since day 1, forgot about extra time and PK, duh  :)  . Just modified all future recording to +1.5hr.
    canuckland
  • HeavyG
    Glad to see Switzerland at least won't be bageled.

• Acn
    Nice to have some games coming up tomorrow!  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• CPFC1905
    Great work by the crazy Croats. 
  • lousubcap
    Croatia's keeper is a national hero.  
  • Whoa.  Quite the outcome there.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Darn, was watching Morocco/Spain on PVR and it ran out of time before end of extra time.

If it's any consolation, perhaps canucks can be excused for ending up in bottom of their group... unlucky against Belgium; Croatia and Morocco are QF caliber or better.
    even bigger excuse for the canucks  :)
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    What a finish to push the Argentine-Netherlands to ET.  Now for 0-0 in ET and on to PK's.  
  • Acn
    That was a helluva day of football.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD