Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-2022 World Cup-first match Sunday 11/20-USA opens 11/21-2 PM (EST)-OT

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Not a great win - but a win when we needed one.  

With that said, while I'll be cheering for our boys on Saturday, I don't like our chances against the Oranje.

I hate to say it but our best chance to advance might be to shoot for a 0-0 tie and then see if we could advance on penalties.

(Statements like that will never convert anyone to being a soccer fan...)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    But it makes for high drama as the finish...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Dang it. I even put it on the calendar. I missed it. I need to watch one with my soccer playing kids to justify my YouTube TV subscription!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    ? I’m not sure I catch your meaning with that one.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    edited November 2022
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Edited after closer look at the picture. I, at first thought both were American, but one is clearly Iranian. Not sure about the reference to 9/12, but it is obvious that sport has the power to bring people together. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    My interpretation was 9/11 was a world at war, and 9/12 is a world of understanding and peace.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    My interpretation was 9/11 was a world at war, and 9/12 is a world of understanding and peace.

Too bad that any feelings of "understanding and peace" didn't last very long.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited November 2022
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    kl8ton said:

Too bad that any feelings of "understanding and peace" didn't last very long.
    Are you referring to the Iranian police shooting and killing a fan in Iran who celebrated the US victory?  Of so, I agree.  The moments caught on TV were between two humans.  Unfortunately, once humans get in large groups, all that empathy and understanding seems to evaporate.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    That is certainly one interpretation, but I was just asking the author (@kl8ton) because I didn't want to misinterpret.  
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    That is certainly one interpretation, but I was just asking the author (@kl8ton) because I didn't want to misinterpret.  
    Ask one, ask all. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Ask one, ask all. 
    Well, you know what they say about opinions…
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I saw musk use 9/12 in a tweet so it must be code for something nefarious.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    This. Plus I was pretty deep in Makers old fashions. Time to see what else I posted. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    The local weather guy said, and I quote, "Christian Pulisic will be playing Saturday after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's match with his testicles."  Seemed rather graphic for 5:00am.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Belgium going home early...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Said on the news just now one upcoming game will be 100% officiated by women, first time in fütball.  I'm kinda surprised Qatar agreed to this, given they won't even let women from their own country attend the games.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Belgium going home early...
    Guess we shouldn't be surprised, given that they barely beat the basement dwelling canucks?
    canuckland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'm on record in this thread as having zero confidence in Belgium coming into the World Cup, but I cannot imagine how badly Lukaku feels after those second half misses.

I did however still chuckle at whoever on Twitter wrote "You can take the man out of Everton, but you cannot take the Everton out of the man."  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Group E finale, wow!
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Group E finale, wow!
    Yeah.  Through the second half the way the standings - and therefore emotions - changed was amazing.

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    And an editorial piece to sack way ahead for the USA-

"

KICKS AND STONES

Ahead of America's biggest soccer game in years, we pause to consider whether Christian Pulisic's nether regions will be ready for the Netherlands. After scoring the goal that secured the team's spot in the knockout round, Pulisic writhed in pain near the net. His collision with Iran's goalie caused what was reported as an "abdominal injury," though some viewed that diagnosis as something between euphemistic and complete bollocks, creating the gulf's biggest ball story since Trump fondled the orb. But it turns out there taint no reason for concern. According to Pulisic, who wasn't wearing an official World Cup cup, it's all been an offsideshow and the nut jobs had it all wrong. He suffered a blow to the pelvis and "didn't get hit in the balls." America's FIFAmily jewels aren't junk. The midfielders did not take a penalty kick. No zingers to the wingers. No red cards—or nards. The sack is intact. Reports of involuntary dribbling were overblown. The center spot is game ready. Thankfully, the Iranian goalie did not bend it like Beckham. Soccer remains a game of two halves and both of Pulisic's are expected to play on Saturday."
    Game on and just bring it home!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Botch said:
    Said on the news just now one upcoming game will be 100% officiated by women, first time in fütball.  I'm kinda surprised Qatar agreed to this, given they won't even let women from their own country attend the games.  

Qatari women, and any woman from any other country, are allowed to attend World Cup matches. There are dress codes they need to follow but that is normally the case anyway.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    A bit of information for the fans who are supporting the USA as Saturday's match is on the horizon as there will be a winner-no ties from here on:  FWIW-

"What are the overtime and penalty kick rules at the World Cup?

If a game is tied after 90 minutes of play, there will be a five minute break and then the match will go into overtime where an extra 30 minutes of time will be given. The time will be divided into two 15-minute periods.

If the score is still tied after extra time is given, the two teams will go into a penalty kick shootout to determine the winner. If there is still a tie at the end of the shootout, teams will be given additional rounds of one kick each until the tie is broken."

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

Qatari women, and any woman from any other country, are allowed to attend World Cup matches. There are dress codes they need to follow but that is normally the case anyway.
    I saw today that the US Mens team will have to share their winnings with the US Womens team. They are to get $13 million for getting to next round so the women
    will get $6.5 million. I wonder how many other teams that made it to next round will do the same? In the past, the US womens team lost to FC Dallas U15 boys team 5-2
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Tspud1 said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

I saw today that the US Mens team will have to share their winnings with the US Womens team. They are to get $13 million for getting to next round so the women
    will get $6.5 million. I wonder how many other teams that made it to next round will do the same? In the past, the US womens team lost to FC Dallas U15 boys team 5-2

The pay disparity between the US national teams was settled in an agreement a while back.
    The $6.5 million the USWNT will receive due to the USMNT reaching the knockout round in the current WC is more than the US women received in the past even when they won TWO World Cups (when was the last time the US men won a WC, I forget?).
    It seems that one can believe in pay equity and/or pay for performance. If one thinks that it should only be pay for performance then it seems the US men are the ones that should be on the bottom of the pay scale.

sounds like Communism
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Just bizarre to me to complain about the men’s team having to send $ to the women’s team, for friggin US soccer especially. This is probably one of the most prominent areas of international sports where our women are typically far superior to our men when it comes to their performance vs. the rest of the world. 

• Foghorn
    Options
    Interesting that Uruguay chose to make Suarez their captain for the game against Ghana...

San Antonio, TX