Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    @ColbyLang

this conversation may have swayed my next build.   Hard to source ammo may not be worth the squeeze.   Was going to do a 6.5 Grendel…maybe I’ll sit on this for now.  
    It’s out there, gotta be diligent in searching.I called Berger months ago asking about ammo. Knew the release was coming
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I've been getting a little more into shooting lately. That in combination with watching shooter on Netflix. There is a range 20 miles away that has a 500 meter area. I think that would be a lot of fun. You do have to prove yourself on the 200 m r range before you can even step foot on the 500 m range. I think this might be my new hobby. Everyone needs to be able to protect their house from a quarter mile away. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    ColbyLang said:
    6.5 Creed Ammo. Been hard to find what my rifle likes. Bought the max allowed, a whopping 4 boxes
    My next rifle will be a 6.5mm Creedmoor.  I want a precision rifle in my arsenal.

My father has always wanted a .257 Roberts in a wood-stocked, w/ cheekpiece, blued rifle.  Think Winchester Model 70, pre-1963.  I told him he needs to give up on that one and go to the 6.5.  

I already have the brass, bullets, dies, etc. for both rounds.  One of us needs to buy a rifle so I can craft some boolits!
    @Jeepster47 has that exact rifle.  I have a pre-63 Model 70 chambered in .270.  As much as I love precision rifles, something about the soul in the older rifles.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    You will love the challenge.  300 is fun, but gets boring fast.  600 yds is challenging, but even a good AR with 69 gr match bullets will hit 10/10 steel plates every day. But 1000 yards separate the boys from the men.  A really good rifle w/high end glass (and match ammo/custom reloads) will ring a 12” round plate consistently. That’s when it’s FUN.  And dropping a 10 point PLUS whitetail from 1000 yards is a real thrill!
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    https://youtu.be/dN7Uy17Z6oE
    Reminded me of this Rascal.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Top Shot was a fun show to watch on History @kl8ton
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Anyone recommend a good rail light for a 12 gauge? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Like anything else, budget is the biggest outlier. SureFire makes great products 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    SonVolt said:
    Like anything else, budget is the biggest outlier. SureFire makes great products 
    I'll second SureFire.   Streamlight also makes some great products, I have multiple but none are weapon mounted.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • SonVolt
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    @SonVolt, good product. 12 gauge has a lower rail to mount to? 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

It's got some ATI flair on it. 

https://www.mossberg.com/500-ati-tactical-50424.html
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    ColbyLang said:

It's got some ATI flair on it. 

https://www.mossberg.com/500-ati-tactical-50424.html

Nice, looks like a couple picatinny mounting options.   Is there an option for a thumb remote on the light?    Sorry, I didn't read all the details.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    It has an optional pressure pad on-switch but I'm not sure where I'd mount it to a pump-action.  I don't mind using my thumb to flick it on. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    Built these custom arrows for my son ( he went to college at Creighton), and he shot his first deer with them.  
    He finished law school at Washburn, so I need to build the next dozen with different fletching!
    Do you make your own arrows in your alma mater’s colors?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I usually leave the shaving posts to @sgh, but just wanted to say that I just bought two more Rockwell 6S razors - a standalone razor to serve amy own backup should I ever lose my current one, and a complete razor and accessory gift set to give my son once he is of shaving age (which won’t be for at least about a decade and a half).

The 6S is really an amazing DESR. I have no affiliation with the company, but have been extremely happy in using the 6S the last several years 

Sales on lots of their products until the end of day today. https://getrockwell.com/
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I usually leave the shaving posts to @sgh, but just wanted to say that I just bought two more Rockwell 6S razors - a standalone razor to serve amy own backup should I ever lose my current one, and a complete razor and accessory gift set to give my son once he is of shaving age (which won’t be for at least about a decade and a half).

The 6S is really an amazing DESR. I have no affiliation with the company, but have been extremely happy in using the 6S the last several years 

Sales on lots of their products until the end of day today. https://getrockwell.com/

I havent used shaving cream in decades, is that a requirement with this style razor?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

I havent used shaving cream in decades, is that a requirement with this style razor?
    More details than you’d likely care for, but…..

Personally, I can’t see using a double edged safety razor without cream, but I turned a colleague onto Rockwell DESRs years back and he shaves daily with nothing but water while in the shower. 

If you haven’t tried a DESR before, there are two, or maybe three things that you’ll probably notice that are massive advantages:

i) Razor blades for DESRs cost nothing. I did the math on mine and they cost about $0.15 a piece - sometimes less if I can get blades on sale. Compare that with the cartridges that cost $2 or more a piece from the leading big name manufacturers. 
    ii) Irritation is virtually non-existent. I have sensitive skin, and a single blade running across my face is infinitely less irritating than the multi-blade cartridges, despite the gel strips and other showy features on the latter. Handles especially-sensitive areas equally well. 
    iii) The shave is much closer than cartridge razors. 

Full disclosure: I shave my entire head every single day; face every second day. Always against the grain. Prior to moving to DESRs, I had tried absolutely everything I could get my hands on (e.g., electric razors, Headblades, Omnishavers, etc.). Now that I’ve become acquainted with DESRs, there is no going back. To me, there is zero competition. Two different leagues. 

If you do want to pull the trigger, I recommend you order the 6S. Full stainless construction (will be inherited by folks several branches away on your family tree), only three pieces (fewer points of potential failure) and an adjustable cutting edge, from mild to aggressive. Pair it with some Astra Platinums and I’m in heaven. There is a reason I purchased this for my son 15 or so years early. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ATN now has a store in Houston—danger Will Robinson.   
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Was hoping DESR stood for double edge straight razor. Would get that scary bastard 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Was hoping DESR stood for double edge straight razor. Would get that scary bastard 
    Lol. I tried using a straight razor for a time in university. Don’t think I’ll go back to that. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Regarding shaving cream - use Nivea gel (not into the soap/bowl deal) and it works great with the Muhle -41 for head shaving and I'm sure any other application.
    If you can get your hands on Eucerin (used across the pond but cannot find here) you will be justly rewarded.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    GrateEggspectations said:

Personally, I can’t see using a double edged safety razor without cream, but I turned a colleague onto Rockwell DESRs years back and he shaves daily with nothing but water while in the shower. 
    I've used an electric shaver since puberty, but I'd noticed a decade or two ago my neck started growing very fine hairs, not whiskers but hairs, and a shaver doesn't work on them.  I started using the double-blade Schicks every few days on those fine hairs, and they worked okay but clogged easily and were expensive.  
    Then, Schick and others started going to 3 blades, then five, and I have no idea how many blades they're up to now.  But no way that works like the original TV commercials claimed (the first blade pulls the whisker out of the skin, so the second blade can cut it "below the surface"); hell, if that were still true those 17-blade cartridges would pull your whisker out 5/8", cut it off, and you wouldn't have to shave again until next week (that'd be nice, actually).  
    I didn't want to fork out $100+ for a fahncy DESR just for a specialty job, but found a Bambau™ on amazoid for about $27, and it works fine.  Single blade, and doesn't clog.  Mine's not adjustable, but it works fine once I zero'd in on the right angle.  
    And I don't use shaving cream, or even water; haven't cut myself yet.  Works fine, with one pass.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Botch said:
    GrateEggspectations said:

I've used an electric shaver since puberty, but I'd noticed a decade or two ago my neck started growing very fine hairs, not whiskers but hairs, and a shaver doesn't work on them.  I started using the double-blade Schicks every few days on those fine hairs, and they worked okay but clogged easily and were expensive.  
    Then, Schick and others started going to 3 blades, then five, and I have no idea how many blades they're up to now.  But no way that works like the original TV commercials claimed (the first blade pulls the whisker out of the skin, so the second blade can cut it "below the surface"); hell, if that were still true those 17-blade cartridges would pull your whisker out 5/8", cut it off, and you wouldn't have to shave again until next week (that'd be nice, actually).  
    I didn't want to fork out $100+ for a fahncy DESR just for a specialty job, but found a Bambau™ on amazoid for about $27, and it works fine.  Single blade, and doesn't clog.  Mine's not adjustable, but it works fine once I zero'd in on the right angle.  
    And I don't use shaving cream, or even water; haven't cut myself yet.  Works fine, with one pass.  
    Just looked up Bambaw. Is that right? Great price point. And yes, correct angle is a big part of the equation. Once using a DESR, I’ve found I naturally gravitated towards an optimal shaving angle. You are brave to shave without any lubricant!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Lol. I tried using a straight razor for a time in university. Don’t think I’ll go back to that. 
    My first shave I cut myself pretty good, Oct, 2003. Cut free since. Was an Octoberfest event in Maine that day, met a lot of women that day. The St Pauli girls kept giving me free beers. Haven't bought a blade since. My beard hair is thick and jams razors, with the straight it's actually noisy to shave. Hear each one pop.. mine are from the 1930s, easy to resharpen once a year if needed
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My first shave I cut myself pretty good, Oct, 2003. Cut free since. Was an Octoberfest event in Maine that day, met a lot of women that day. The St Pauli girls kept giving me free beers. Haven't bought a blade since. My beard hair is thick and jams razors, with the straight it's actually noisy to shave. Hear each one pop.. mine are from the 1930s, easy to resharpen once a year if needed
    I think my issue was that I had bought a relatively cheap piece on Ebay. 

Show us your wares!

Were I shaving my face only, I’d gladly revisit a straight razor. Given I also do my head, I am less eager. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

Show us your wares!

Were I shaving my face only, I’d gladly revisit a straight razor. Given I also do my head, I am less eager. 
    I cut my hair below the ear, no problem there
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    @alaskanassasin just use a dab of your wife’s hair conditioner
  • fishlessman
    Options

Show us your wares!

Cheap straight is no good. The thrties razor is new/old stock with a buffalo handle German Wacker. At camp is a fifties hoffritz razor
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    edited December 2022
    Options

Show us your wares!

Cheap straight is no good. The thrties razor is new/old stock with a buffalo handle German Wacker. At camp is a fifties hoffritz razor
    Real men use hand chipped obsidian with the froth from a rabid raccoon as lather.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS