Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving 2022... What's cookin'??

Comments

• Nothing special on the menu this year.  I was in charge of the turkey and dressing.  The turkey was a small 13 pounder which I cooked in my usual way.  The challenge this year was the dressing.  My sister was coming for supper and she is gluten intolerant.  In the past two years, we’ve made White Castle dressing that everyone liked, but there’s plenty of gluten in the buns.  I opted for my Mom’s giblet dressing.  HORRORS!  We had no poultry seasoning!  For the bird, I used Dizzy Pig’s Mad Max rub.  That stuff is great!  Why not use it in the dressing?  For the dressing, I substituted standard bread for gluten free bread.  Have you ever used that product before?  It has the size and consistency of a Sara Lee pound cake from the freezer section.  And it was $8 a loaf.  After cutting $24 worth of it into cubes and toasting them in the oven, they eventually started to sop up the liquid in the mixing bowl.  For a bit they resembled ice cubes in a turkey soup.  In the end, it all worked out.  The turkey was great and the dressing was…passable.
    Flint, Michigan
  • We have been at the hospital for 3 days @Foghorn thank you for taking time and helping people in need.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    edited November 2022
     Nice spread, @Foghorn. The cocktail looks professionally crafted (so easy to tell when your kids are visiting).

Hope y’all had a great Thanksgiving. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • We have been at the hospital for 3 days @Foghorn thank you for taking time and helping people in need.
    He puts in the time, I assure you of that. One of the great guys on here. Even if he and his ungrateful son took a shot at our thanksgiving spread this year 😂
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,016
    Foghorn said:
    We got so full we did not do the General Tso but the rest was super delicious and fun. 

Super fun time had by all. The ramen was dope. Happy Thanksgiving all.
    I showed this to my son.  He said that it looks almost as good as Panda Express.  =)  
    Let his Bill Miller breakfast taco eating a$$ that I have friends in the greater Denver area that can extend my reach to his doorstep 😂 
    I've made him aware.  He's glad he was able to push your button.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thanksgiving was a group effort this year. All I made was crockpot jalapeño cream cheese corn which turned out pretty good. Brother in law smoked a turkey and a ham. Nephew’s new wife made her first ever pumpkin pie and did a 👍. Brother in laws mother made shrimp dip and cookies. Several other things of course.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I brought one carcass home.  There were three.  I ended up with 5 quarts of turkey goodness after 12 hours on the stove.

I will make a little soup tomorrow and freeze the rest. 

Clinton, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,051
    Nothing special on the menu this year.  I was in charge of the turkey and dressing.  The turkey was a small 13 pounder which I cooked in my usual way.  The challenge this year was the dressing.  My sister was coming for supper and she is gluten intolerant.  In the past two years, we’ve made White Castle dressing that everyone liked, but there’s plenty of gluten in the buns.  I opted for my Mom’s giblet dressing.  HORRORS!  We had no poultry seasoning!  For the bird, I used Dizzy Pig’s Mad Max rub.  That stuff is great!  Why not use it in the dressing?  For the dressing, I substituted standard bread for gluten free bread.  Have you ever used that product before?  It has the size and consistency of a Sara Lee pound cake from the freezer section.  And it was $8 a loaf.  After cutting $24 worth of it into cubes and toasting them in the oven, they eventually started to sop up the liquid in the mixing bowl.  For a bit they resembled ice cubes in a turkey soup.  In the end, it all worked out.  The turkey was great and the dressing was…passable.
    A few ideas for next time (wife is gluten intolerant as well)

1) if she can eat sourdough (good sourdough, not grocery store sourdough) then you can use that
    2) Trader Joe’s sells a gluten free stuffing mix that I think is cornbread based and is a great starting place
    3) scratch made cornbread from a recipe that doesn’t have wheat flour, make a day ahead and pour thin.  After it cools, break it up and dry on a cookie sheet in a low oven
    Not a felon
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,057
    Legume said:
    Nothing special on the menu this year.  I was in charge of the turkey and dressing.  The turkey was a small 13 pounder which I cooked in my usual way.  The challenge this year was the dressing.  My sister was coming for supper and she is gluten intolerant.  In the past two years, we’ve made White Castle dressing that everyone liked, but there’s plenty of gluten in the buns.  I opted for my Mom’s giblet dressing.  HORRORS!  We had no poultry seasoning!  For the bird, I used Dizzy Pig’s Mad Max rub.  That stuff is great!  Why not use it in the dressing?  For the dressing, I substituted standard bread for gluten free bread.  Have you ever used that product before?  It has the size and consistency of a Sara Lee pound cake from the freezer section.  And it was $8 a loaf.  After cutting $24 worth of it into cubes and toasting them in the oven, they eventually started to sop up the liquid in the mixing bowl.  For a bit they resembled ice cubes in a turkey soup.  In the end, it all worked out.  The turkey was great and the dressing was…passable.
    A few ideas for next time (wife is gluten intolerant as well)

1) if she can eat sourdough (good sourdough, not grocery store sourdough) then you can use that
    2) Trader Joe’s sells a gluten free stuffing mix that I think is cornbread based and is a great starting place
    3) scratch made cornbread from a recipe that doesn’t have wheat flour, make a day ahead and pour thin.  After it cools, break it up and dry on a cookie sheet in a low oven
    This is our house and I have done all the above for my wife with great success.  Her sister in law would make long fermented sour dough bread my wife could eat so when we can get that great. Next we do the pioneer lady cornbread stuffing but we just use boxed gluten free coat bread for the only carb.  This year we did the boxed Trader Joe’s and it reminded me of a cornbread like stove top stuffing, not too bad. 
  • Good tips!  Thanks!  Although there is no Trader Joe’s in sight here in Sweetwater, Michigan (aka Flint), I’ll make out fine next time my sister visits.  I didn’t know good sourdough is gluten-free.  Thanks!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,051
    Good tips!  Thanks!  Although there is no Trader Joe’s in sight here in Sweetwater, Michigan (aka Flint), I’ll make out fine next time my sister visits.  I didn’t know good sourdough is gluten-free.  Thanks!
    It’s not strictly gluten free - however people that are gluten sensitive or intolerant can often (sometimes) handle long fermented (eg good, sour, sourdough).  Not true for people with serious gluten issues like celiacs.

Another tip is Cup for Cup flour.  It’s wheat free and their recipe for pie crust turns out great - can’t tell at all that it’s GF. They have several different blends and mixes, the original product was developed by chefs at the French Laundry.
    Not a felon
  • Just got back from Florida during the week.   It's all the cooks above that make me miss a great Thanksgiving feast.   It's hard to pass up sun and beach and fresh seafood,  but damn this food looks good. Great cooking folks
  • A heavy dose of mad max in the cavity has a very flavorable impact on the soup / stock the next day. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,571
    Wooderson said:
    Just got back from Florida during the week.   It's all the cooks above that make me miss a great Thanksgiving feast.   It's hard to pass up sun and beach and fresh seafood,  but damn this food looks good. Great cooking folks
    By chance did you grab any stone crab claws??  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,213
    I thought this text was pretty funny. My coworker asked if I could help her son (who I graduated with) with their Thanksgiving turkey. So I sent my coworker an email with a couple recipes and step by step instructions that she could send him. 

I received this text Thanksgiving evening from my coworker. Her son's name is Patrick. 

I think he might have liked it.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ^^^Agree 100%
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,217
    shtgunal3 said:
    That 2nd pic should be in a magazine @fishlessman

its about as rare for me as getting struck by lightning
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nice spread @fishlessman
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    shtgunal3 said:

its about as rare for me as getting struck by lightning

i should rephrase  this because i have a pretty strong feeling with my luck that someday i will get hit by lightning
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,968
    shtgunal3 said:
    Will it pass the Reichlen test though  =)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    shtgunal3 said:
    Will it pass the Reichlen test though  =)

not even close
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,806
    just the traditional family fare.  stuffing in the bird and yet no one died

cup of gravy for breakfast

This guy knows what he is doing...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    caliking said:
    just the traditional family fare.  stuffing in the bird and yet no one died

cup of gravy for breakfast

This guy knows what he is doing...

5mg of eliquis and a cup of gravy, what could go wrong.  ate more of this just pepping the gravy
    fukahwee maine

• @fishlessman - the slider with the cranberry and various fixings is actually my favorite.   I assume that was the day after?  

There was some sandwich place up in Maine (around near Unity college I think) that used to have a Thanksgiving-inspired sandwich much like that - turkey and stuffing with cranberry and gravy.  I don't remember the name of the place but man that sandwich was so so good.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    edited November 2022
    @fishlessman - the slider with the cranberry and various fixings is actually my favorite.   I assume that was the day after?  

There was some sandwich place up in Maine (around near Unity college I think) that used to have a Thanksgiving-inspired sandwich much like that - turkey and stuffing with cranberry and gravy.  I don't remember the name of the place but man that sandwich was so so good.  

other than the gravy the sandwich rules. place in lowell mass used to do open faced subs with the turkey/stuffing/cranberry/hot gravy.  best sub on their menu.  another place used to make it with some shredded lettuce instead of gravy, back when i could eat lettuce, they called those turkey delights served in a wrap back before wraps became popular. could eat those everyday
    fukahwee maine

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,351
    @fishlessman - the slider with the cranberry and various fixings is actually my favorite.   I assume that was the day after?  

other than the gravy the sandwich rules. place in lowell mass used to do open faced subs with the turkey/stuffing/cranberry/hot gravy.  best sub on their menu.  another place used to make it with some shredded lettuce instead of gravy, back when i could eat lettuce, they called those turkey delights served in a wrap back before wraps became popular. could eat those everyday
    Many restaurants here in CT serve a similar sandwich and call it "Thanksgiving On A Bun," usually has mashed potatoes as well as the turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and gravy. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.