Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hows those gas prices

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    going to have to give up my spaghettio plans for dinner soon

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Oh well, there’s always ramen.
  • fishlessman
    Oh well, there’s always ramen.
    if only i had my moms recipe for rice a roni sandwiches, found this one, might give it a try this weekend

Homemade Rice-A-Roni

Homemade Rice-A-Roni is a delicious rice and pasta pilaf side dish. This tasty treat goes with almost any meal, but it is especially flavorful served alongside a chicken dish.
    Prep Time5 mins
    Cook Time25 mins
    Total Time30 mins
    Course: Side Dish
    Cuisine: American
    Keyword: Homemade Rice-A-Roni, Rice-A-Roni®, Side Dish
    Servings: 6 servings

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp Ghee Alternatively, you can use olive oil or a combination of olive oil and butter.
    • 1 cup Rice, preferably long grain white rice
    • 1/2 pound Thin spaghetti, broken into 1/2"-1" pieces Alternatively, you can use regular spaghetti.
    • 1 small Yellow onion, peeled and grated
    • 1 small Garlic clove, peeled and grated
    • 1/2 tsp Salt
    • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
    • 1/4 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon Dried parsley Alternatively, you can use 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh parsley finely chopped.
    • 2 cups Chicken bone broth or chicken broth Alternatively, you can use beef bone broth, beef broth, or vegetable broth.

Instructions

• Place a skillet on the stovetop and set to medium heat.
    • Add the ghee to the skillet and allow it to melt.
    • Once the ghee is melted, add the thin spaghetti and rice to the skillet and sauté until lightly golden, approximately 2-3 minutes.
    • Add the onion and garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
    • Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and parsley to the skillet and stir.
    • Add bone broth or broth to the skillet. Stir and bring up to a boil.
    • Once the mixture comes up to a boil, place a lid on the skillet, turn the heat down to medium or medium low (you do not want the mixture to boil), and allow to simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the bone broth or broth is absorbed and the rice pasta mixture is light and fluffy. (See video.)

fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I wonder what breaking up spaghetti in a blender would sound like?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Y’all must drive a lot for that level of pain.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Botch said:
    I wonder what breaking up spaghetti in a blender would sound like?  

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    OMG @HeavyG posted a pic!!!!
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,169
    edited November 2022
    Just got the wisdoms out this a.m. Blended spaghetti sounds good right now, I haven't eaten in 24 hours. Once i loose the gauze i will have to get creative  with something 
  • Botch
    poster said:
    Just got the wisdoms out this a.m. Blended spaghetti sounds good right now, I haven't eaten in 24 hours. Once i loose the gauze i will have to get creative  with something 
    I'm usually not into sugar, but Jello Pudding cups are on my list whenever I get a root canal/implant/bridge/other.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Italian ice, gelato.if they gave you the mint wash, eat it now. In a week of that crap nothing tastes good
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    if only i had my moms recipe for rice a roni sandwiches, found this one, might give it a try this weekend

Homemade Rice-A-Roni

Homemade Rice-A-Roni is a delicious rice and pasta pilaf side dish. This tasty treat goes with almost any meal, but it is especially flavorful served alongside a chicken dish.
    Prep Time5 mins
    Cook Time25 mins
    Total Time30 mins

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp Ghee Alternatively, you can use olive oil or a combination of olive oil and butter.
    • 1/2 pound Thin spaghetti, broken into 1/2"-1" pieces Alternatively, you can use regular spaghetti.
    • 1/2 tsp Salt
    • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
    • 1/2 teaspoon Dried parsley Alternatively, you can use 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh parsley finely chopped.
    • 2 cups Chicken bone broth or chicken broth Alternatively, you can use beef bone broth, beef broth, or vegetable broth.

Instructions

• Once the ghee is melted, add the thin spaghetti and rice to the skillet and sauté until lightly golden, approximately 2-3 minutes.
    • Add the onion and garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant, approximately 1-2 minutes.
    • Once the mixture comes up to a boil, place a lid on the skillet, turn the heat down to medium or medium low (you do not want the mixture to boil), and allow to simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the bone broth or broth is absorbed and the rice pasta mixture is light and fluffy. (See video.)

This is awesome. Sub any kind of protein for the spaghetti, and you just made biryani. Or, leave out the spaghetti and you have a pretty decent pulao/pilaf.

Come to think of it... what's the point of the spaghetti here??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    caliking said:

Homemade Rice-A-Roni

Prep Time5 mins
    Cook Time25 mins
    Total Time30 mins

Ingredients

• 1/2 tsp Salt
    • 1/2 tsp Turmeric

Instructions

This is awesome. Sub any kind of protein for the spaghetti, and you just made biryani. Or, leave out the spaghetti and you have a pretty decent pulao/pilaf.

Come to think of it... what's the point of the spaghetti here??
    It fries more than the rice and adds a non spaghetti soft slimy  texture. Never had it other than the boxed stuff. 1970 cooking at it's best
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Need about 70 gallons of kerosene  to fill the tank. Was under 4 bucks a gallon.  Looking like 12 to 14 bucks if I find it picking it up five gallons at a time. Got shut off for bigger deliveries at over 7 bucks locked in for bigger deliveries......damn

found it down near boston and driving it north once a week, pain in the arse at ten gallons a trip to maine
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    been in a holding pattern with gas prices up here and the kerosene shortage seems to be staying for the winter

fukahwee maine

• The EU is about to embargo Russian diesel. That will increase US diesel and heating oil prices.
  • fishlessman
    must of got the first batch winter blend premium last week, mpg dropped by about 3 mpg
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344

Well...sheeeet - no Sheetz near me.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    I hear they have the best 2AM burgers of all gas stations.
  • fishlessman
    HeavyG said:

cant wait to run that 88 in the boat. the e10 rots the gas lines well enough, the 88/e15 will just dump more gas into the drinking water supply. took me most of the summer to find the leak under the cowling this year, who knows how many gallons went overboard
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    2.75 for regular, at HEB this morning.

• The key figure is diesel prices. Everything that you buy is shipped using diesel fuel and often produced using it. Home heating oil? Essentially diesel fuel.
  • Botch
    caliking said:
    WTH, I still paid well over $4 yesterday.  

• fishlessman
    The key figure is diesel prices. Everything that you buy is shipped using diesel fuel and often produced using it. Home heating oil? Essentially diesel fuel.

was hoping i could use diesel in my kerosene monitor. the consensus was that it would work but not burning as clean the monitor would soot up and choke out the fire eventually.  since im not there all week, that wouldnt work for me. hoping we dont get a -20 degree extended cold spell this year
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    caliking said:

its a deep south thing, everyone else be damned
    fukahwee maine

• Well when you have the oil wells, refineries, and pipelines…….
  • caliking
    Botch said:
    caliking said:
    Probably because I'm so close to the source. Any closer, and I'd be in Saudi Arabia.

• fishlessman
    It's those rascist rebels with their flags screwing with the yankees
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch said:
    caliking said:

its a deep south thing, everyone else be damned
    Ah,yeah.  I keep forgetting that "Cali-king" is actually a fed-teat-sucking Texan...  :tongue:  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    $3.30ish in SE Nebr. and can get $3. or so if cross Missou River into Iowa.  Not really Southy in either place, but Kansas and Missouri are sitting right underneath.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA