Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-2022 World Cup-first match Sunday 11/20-USA opens 11/21-2 PM (EST)-OT

Comments

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    And it's a goal from the (Liberian) President's son! 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Yep.  And a successfully converted penalty by the werewolf.   If only this game had been played in the daytime...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    edited November 2022
    That last foul saved prevented a potential goal.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    That last foul saved a potential goal.
    Yep-now on to win the Battle of the Atlantic Friday.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I am amazed you all support FIFA and Qatar.  I thought your morality was worth more than that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2022
    Supporting my country and I will always put country first!
    I can personally differentiate while knowing the private (no secret) and since public deals with FIFA and Qatar, like that whole deal was a revelation.  
    Edit: define your definition of  support in the following regard-  "I am amazed  you all support FIFA and Qatar.  I thought your morality was worth more than that."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    Supporting my country and I will always put country first!
    I can personally differentiate while knowing the private (no secret) and since public deals with FIFA and Qatar, like that whole deal was a revelation.  
    Edit: define your definition of  support in the following regard-  "I am amazed  you all support FIFA and Qatar.  I thought your morality was worth more than that."
    Promoting a sporting event that they bribed their way into with ill gotten gains from slavery and oppression.
  • lousubcap
    Your definition of promoting and mine in this context is different.  To each his own.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    lousubcap said:
    Your definition of promoting and mine in this context is different.  To each his own.  
    I am deliberately trying to stir the pot, but you saw thru my attempts.

I do think FIFA is corrupt and Qatar is awful on human rights.
  • lousubcap
    No argument here with your assessment @Ozzie_Isaac.  
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    There's growing support over here for players to not celebrate goals but instead find a team mate, hold their hand and walk back to the half way line together. 
    Players have been routinely kissing each other after a goal for years, so that's not news.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    CPFC1905 said:
    There's growing support over here for players to not celebrate goals but instead find a team mate, hold their hand and walk back to the half way line together. 
    Players have been routinely kissing each other after a goal for years, so that's not news.

Men holding hands, while unusual in the west, is a common custom among male Arabs so it might not provide the provocation intended (if that was even the intention - it not, nevermind :) ).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2022
    They banned alcohol sales in stadiums

Banned rainbow clothing

And very under reported, they banned Kosher food and prayer spaces for people of Jewish faith.

All things they "guaranteed" FIFA they would do/allow.

Hopefully Netflix does a season 2 of their FIFA special.  I wonder of anyone visiting fans will be sentenced to death?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'd read that FIFA's front-runner for the next WC is... Saudi Arabia.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• France is beating Australia like a rented mule…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    France is beating Australia like a rented mule…
    Is that better/worse than a red headed stepchild?
    Well they’re not playing Ireland, so…
    Well they’re not playing Ireland, so…
    Actually I guess France’s red headed step child would be… Belgium?

• Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    Predictions for a winner anyone?  For sentimental reasons, I'll go with Argentina - and finally a World Cup for Lionel Messi.
    This prediction is looking pretty silly right now.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    edited November 2022
    To keep the non futbol fire burning- Give this a read from the political side-
    Over to you @Ozzie_Isaac:   B) Yes, late to the party but...

"Opinion: Let’s call out the Qatar World Cup for what it really is
    Opinion by Roger Bennett and Tommy Vietor
    Published 4:27 AM EDT, Tue November 1, 2022
    The Lusail Stadium in Doha Qatar will host the final of this years World Cup which kicks off in November
    The Lusail Stadium in Doha, Qatar, will host the final of this year's World Cup which kicks off in November.
    David Ramos/Getty Images

Editor’s Note: Roger Bennett is the founder of the Men In Blazers Media Network and co-author of Gods of Soccer. Tommy Vietor is a former spokesperson for President Barack Obama, cofounder of Crooked Media and host of the foreign policy podcast Pod Save the World. Together they collaborated on a podcast series called World Corrupt, examining the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. The views expressed in this commentary are their own. Read more opinion on CNN.

CNN — 

This November, billions of people around the world will tune in to the World Cup – one of the greatest sporting spectacles in human history. It’s an event that has brought wars to a standstill, canonized sporting saints and sinners, and united the planet in savoring every exclamation point goal, last-ditch tackle and intricately choreographed celebratory knee-slide.

There’s just one problem: This year, it’s happening in Qatar.

In Qatar, journalists are thrown in jail for investigating migrant worker conditions. LGBTQ+ people are treated as criminals. Women need to ask men permission to marry, travel and study abroad in many cases.

And Qatari labor practices have been compared to modern slavery – a reported 6,500 South Asian migrant workers have died in Qatar since the country was awarded the World Cup in 2010. Experts say it is likely a lot of these deaths are related to construction of buildings for the tournament.

6,500 deaths – at least. The total death toll is almost certainly higher, as this figure does not include many countries sending workers to Qatar, including the Philippines and African nations.

(Qatar argues that the mortality rate for its migrant worker community is within the expected range for the size and demographics of the population.)

In recent years, Qatari authorities have introduced “several promising labor reform initiatives,” according to Human Rights Watch. But “significant gaps remain,” it said, including “widespread wage abuses” and failure to “investigate the causes of deaths of thousands of migrant workers.”

A controversial bid

Let’s not pretend that the Qataris won their Cup bid through merit alone. After all, Qatar – a peninsula smaller than Connecticut and with heat so extreme that it’s a potential health risk to play soccer there during the summer months – is the last place it would make sense to host a giant international sporting tournament.

How, then, did Qatar get chosen? Well, as an endless stream of investigative journalism alleges, it won the bid through a process that was rigged from top to bottom. (Qatar strongly denies the allegations).

Shortly after France’s supporting vote, for instance, Qatar Sports Investments purchased the Paris Saint-Germain Football Club; around the same time, another Qatari firm bought a piece of Veolia, a French energy and waste company.

Not to mention: A firm connected to the Qatari sovereign fund hired the son of Michel Platini, the former head of the European football association. Népotisme? Zut alors!

But don’t take our word for it. Matt Miller, a former Department of Justice official who traveled with former Attorney General Eric Holder to Zurich to witness the bidding process, told us: “It was the most corrupt thing I’ve ever seen in my career, and I spent a couple years working in New Jersey politics.”

Jokes aside, all this raises the question: Why would Qatar even want to host the World Cup?

The National Stadium also known as the Birds Nest was a centerpiece of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing
    The National Stadium, also known as the "Bird's Nest," was a centerpiece of the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
    Goh Chai Hin/AFP/Getty Images

The answer is that the country is hoping for a Beijing 2008 Olympics moment – a chance to airbrush its human rights abuses and shine on a global stage. By hosting the World Cup, Qatar wants to project a cosmopolitan image like that of its neighbors in the UAE, signaling it is open for business, welcoming to tourists and a player in global politics.

A tightly controlled image

To ensure that image happens, Qatar even announced that international television crews will be banned from filming in locations without pre-approval from Qatari authorities. As James Lynch, from London-based human rights group FairSquare, told the Guardian, these “extraordinarily sweeping range of restrictions” would make it very difficult for media to cover any stories not strictly related to games.

(Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy said in a statement on Twitter that filming permits were in line with global practices).

We’ve got to send a clear signal that autocrats cannot amass soft power through the refracted glow of sports immortality.

Roger Bennett and Tommy Vietor

When you think of Qatar, its leaders don’t want you to picture migrant workers dying in the blistering heat, or to dismiss Doha as less significant when compared to neighboring Dubai. They want you to remember the transcendent thrill of a slaloming Lionel Messi run on goal, or the epic exhilaration of a physics-defying fingertip save by Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson Becker.

And that’s what Qatar is going to get after this World Cup – unless we all work to tell a different story, one that brings the world’s attention to Qatari atrocities and serves as a warning to other authoritarian regimes that are watching. We’ve got to send a clear signal that autocrats cannot amass soft power through the refracted glow of sports immortality.

That means making sure that, by the end of this tournament, every single person who’s expected to tune in – all 5 billion of them – knows what is happening off screen in Qatar.

National teams have a responsibility, too

Already, there have been some positive steps in this direction. Denmark’s monochrome “protest jerseys” are a powerful statement – and one which has riled up the Qatari government. During the opening round of World Cup qualifiers, Germany and Norway’s teams wore shirts displaying the message: “HUMAN RIGHTS.”

The Netherlands’ ever-cantankerous coach Louis Van Gaal, meanwhile, called FIFA’s rationale for hosting the tournament in Qatar “****.” Legend.

These steps must be just a starting point.

National teams – and, critically, their governments – can and must push Qatar for accountability. The most critical step is getting behind Human Rights Watch’s no-nonsense #PayUpFIFA campaign. It’s an effort to require Qatar and FIFA to pay out at least $440 million – an amount equal to the prize money being awarded at the World Cup – to the families of migrant workers who have been harmed or killed in preparation for the tournament. Every club with a conscience ought to forcefully support it.

To this point, US Soccer has quietly signed onto the #PayUpFIFA campaign but has publicly said little on the issue. As the world’s richest country, with a major military base in Qatar, America has a particular mandate to champion these values – especially with the current administration’s stated commitment to holding Gulf autocrats accountable.

England’s Football Association has been similarly weak in its response. After European football federations promised to call out Qatar with more than “just wearing a t-shirt,” they ended up settling on wearing rainbow armbands, which, quite literally, amount to less than a t-shirt.

All national teams need to step up – and players have a crucial role to play in this effort as well. We can only imagine the level of pressure already on these athletes to perform. They have likely dreamed about this moment since they were children – and fought so bloody hard and given up so much to make it a reality.

They did not start kicking a football thinking they were going to have to speak out about human rights. But there is also a long tradition of athlete activism, from Tommie Smith and John Carlos raising their fists in Mexico City to Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford combating child hunger in the United Kingdom.

This doesn’t mean every player must speak out. But those who do should be supported and amplified – like the Socceroos, Australia’s national soccer team, who called for remediation for workers who have been harmed and the decriminalization of all same-sex relationships in Qatar.

The future of sport

After all, this is about more than the World Cup. It’s about whether people who believe in democracy and human rights are going to let authoritarian regimes get away with hijacking the sports we love.

Saudi Arabia is already attempting to sportswash its image through LIV Golf and the WWE. Russia and Bahrain have tried to do it through Formula One. But if we make a stand against Qatar on the world stage, maybe we can make the next generation of autocrats more worried about a Qatar 2022-style humiliation than thirsty for a Beijing 2008 moment.

Fans can help by using their social media platforms to call attention to Qatar’s human rights abuses, and by pressuring football associations to publicly support the #PayUpFIFA campaign.

Our activism could also change the calculus for FIFA – which might be less inclined to award the World Cup to countries like Qatar if they know that doing so will result in years of boycotts, protests and damaging press.

GET OUR FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

This matters. Because as every football fan knows, the World Cup is more than a tournament. It’s been compared to a global eclipse which strikes the entire planet for a month at a time.

It’s a unique arena where nations can compete fiercely and then shake hands. It’s supposed to represent the best of us – our incredible diversity and our common humanity.

It’s no wonder authoritarian powers want to take over these events for themselves. And that’s exactly why we can’t let them."

• Ozzie_Isaac
      @lousubcap i will read and get back to you with my thoughts.
    • lousubcap
      @Ozzie_Isaac No need for any return serve.  Just playing the frictionless conduit here. But thoughts welcomed as I have no original thoughts in the above but find it to be in line with every other western media portrait of the games.
      That said, the games are compelling as the nationalism is fervent with the once in four year window.  
      USA need to win the battle of the pond Friday 2 PM EST.  
    • Ozzie_Isaac
      Money has corrupted soccer, and I think their morality is lost forever.

I wish I could count on mega-wealthy club owners and merely obscenely wealthy players to make an actual stand.  They won't upset their golden goose.

It is up to the fans and reporters to do what they can.  To bad they risk their lives to bring it to the light and no governments will step up to help them.

We could really use Twitter right now, but that has become a vanity project to a 12 yearold.
    • HeavyG
      HeavyG Posts: 10,344
      Money has corrupted soccer, and I think their morality is lost forever.

I wish I could count on mega-wealthy club owners and merely obscenely wealthy players to make an actual stand.  They won't upset their golden goose.

It is up to the fans and reporters to do what they can.  To bad they risk their lives to bring it to the light and no governments will step up to help them.

We could really use Twitter right now, but that has become a vanity project to a 12 yearold.

What would you do on Twitter that you can't still do?

Plenty of folks talk about this (and have been talking about this for many years)...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
      dbCooper Posts: 2,078
      If you have any "found' monies, consider putting it on Ecuador.  I found a crisp Benjamin just because I love the country and the people.  Plus their opening match indicates they are not bought
      LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
      Great Plains, USA
    • Foghorn
      Spain looks like 2010 Spain.  Germany didn't look like 2014 Germany.

San Antonio, TX

• TechsasJim
      TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
      Bet on them game 1 which didn’t work out well so I’m going back to the well Friday even though we are big underdogs.  
      LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas