Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Left Out

Options
Greetings- it’s be a while. Still egging just not a lot of posting. I fired up the large for a pork butt. This one had a longer stall than normal and I pulled off egg at 8pm last night. Wrapped in foil and on counter. Fell asleep on couch and woke up at 1:30am. Thermopen was probing 125-133 depending on the spot. Believe that’s in the “danger zone”. Put in fridge anyway and back to bed. Curious if you guys and gals would toss or consume. Hope everyone is well
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Whoa , welcome back @Chubbs !!! It’s fine , buggies were mutilated during the cook, and it’s not likely it was 4 hours below 140 for them to percolate again 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I would just sample some of it yourself.  If you don’t experience any ill effects, it’s probably fine.  On the other hand if you get violently sick and die, it’s probably not.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I would just sample some of it yourself.  If you don’t experience any ill effects, it’s probably fine.  On the other hand if you get violently sick and die, it’s probably not.  
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice to see you posting my friend. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    next week is thanksgiving. that turkey will be left out of the fridge for 3 days for sandwiches before turning into a soup. wouldnt even think about not eating that pork
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Chubbs - Glad you have surfaced.  Hope that after you enjoy the pulled pork you are much more engaged here.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Smell test is usually a good indicator. If it smells off in any way, I would pitch it, otherwise I'd eat it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • drm1
    drm1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm new here but I'd eat for sure!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Heck, I think the last High School Graduation party I attended had pulled pork that was left out in a hot garage longer than that, and I ate some of it later in the week, too.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Heck, I think the last High School Graduation party I attended had pulled pork that was left out in a hot garage longer than that, and I ate some of it later in the week, too.
    Congrats on finally earning that high school diploma!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    drm1 said:
    Hi I'm new here but I'd eat for sure!
    @drm1 - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Hang on to your wallet as this place can take you down rabbit holes you never knew existed.
    The skill sets that forum members have and will readily share is far and wide.  You will likely find helpful information for any issue here quicker than a dedicated subject focused site.  And yes, you will also get assistance with any cooking/Q related issue from many sources.  Those responses will likely vary but any will work.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Good to see you post. Hope all is well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Chubbs! Great to see you resurface. There is an almost 0% chance that pork is not safe to eat. The danger zone is below 130 for 4 hours. And that is for food service operations who serve kids, sick people, and old people. It is a VERY conservative measurement by any standard. And it Sounds like you were barely there for any time at all. I would eat this without hesitation. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
     =)  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Zero risk. The cook killed anything of consequence. Wrapping in foil sealed the Petrie dish off from any potential new pathogens. Reheat it while still sealed, let it rest, then enjoy. 
    Michiana, South of the border.