Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pho vs Ramen - which do you like best?

Like the title says, which one do you like best and why? If you are in the pho camp, which broth do you like best? Beef, chicken or pork?

If you are the ramen camp, which one do you like best? Shoyu, Shio, tonkotsu or miso?

Started a new job in St Paul MN and boy are there a lot of options for ethnic food by work! Going to be eating good for lunches.

Comments

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Interesting thread.  I've had both but not sure what the difference is?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I presume this will be like your question about paella proteins and veggies- the choices here exceed my bandwidth so I will just appreciate the responses.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Homemade pho over the ten cent packages of ramen =) they use to be ten cents back in college....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • For some reason, maybe the fresh herbs/rice noodles, etc Pho is more of a warmer month item for me and ramen is colder, rainier months. Jinya Ramen has a former menu item that went off menu (probably to drive demand because they like to tell you it’s off menu) called the Cha Cha Cha that is garlic and pork to the extreme. Its on the short list with maybe a dozen other foods worthy of sneaking away by myself to sit at the bar and enjoy undistracted.  I hope you find a few in your new proximity. 
  • Why are you ramen this pho’ken question down our throats on a Thursday night? It’s not even Friday!
  • Why are you ramen this pho’ken question down our throats on a Thursday night? It’s not even Friday!
    Who’s going to tell him?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
    Who’s going to tell him?
    Lol. It’s funny the tricks your mind can play on you once committed to your Friday off. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    It's phokeenegreat, tee-shirts and everything ;) let the dragon lady decide
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Both look a little carb heavy to me. I have a stockpile of ramen in my hurricane/plague supplies but not my first choice. There’s a pho place a half mile away and it was okay.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,661
    Beef Pho!

Could someone please explain the difference? For us uneducated people like myself?🤷🏽🤔
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited November 2022
    Why are you ramen this pho’ken question down our throats on a Thursday night? It’s not even Friday!
    Who’s going to tell him?
    Lol. It’s funny the tricks your mind can play on you once committed to your Friday off. 
    There is a Pho King where I live, played well

It’s “ Fuh like Duh” not pho like go

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • sancho65 said:
    Could someone please explain the difference? For us uneducated people like myself?🤷🏽🤔
    Broths are different obviously. Pho tends to be considered Vietnamese and ramen is Japanese. Outside of that is pho uses rice noodles and ramen has the curly noodles we all know. Toppings also differ. Pho usually has bean sprouts, jalapeno, basil where as ramen tends to have an egg, pickled radish etc.  Both are all about the broth. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    The actual japanese packets of ramen are way better than the american ones. My MiL is Japanese and it's amazing how different the Japanese versions of things are. Like Japanese kikkoman. It's WAY better than American. And ramen noodles... they have a very different and superior noodle in the japanese top ramen. Different logo too.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian said:
    Why are you ramen this pho’ken question down our throats on a Thursday night? It’s not even Friday!
    Who’s going to tell him?

Sometimes you gotta stretch a little to pick them low-hanging apples. Lol. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    lkapigian said:
    Who’s going to tell him?

Sometimes you gotta stretch a little to pick them low-hanging apples. Lol. 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’ve never had good ramen, nothing in a restaurant, just the college stuff.  But I do love a good bowl of pho and there are several near.  We like to go out for pho on a good snowy night. I lean chicken more often then beef, but love the beef broth.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Legume said:
    I’ve never had good ramen, nothing in a restaurant, just the college stuff.  But I do love a good bowl of pho and there are several near.  We like to go out for pho on a good snowy night. I lean chicken more often then beef, but love the beef broth.
    Love both of them - I recommend getting a proper bowl of Ramen if you haven't had it!  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm very fortunate to live in the most diverse county in Georgia with a high Asian population. That being said, we have incredible options for both and I dont think I could pick a favorite. I do tend to eat more ramen though especially in the colder months.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I prefer the flavorings in the broth of phó, but prefer the chew of ramen noodles (which are made with sodium carbonate, giving them a "bounce", the rice noodles in phó are just "slippery").  
    Could spend the rest of my life deciding which one I prefer; I'll let you know.   :)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Calbbqer said:

This kills me!  My fav phó restaurant, in Layton, is also called Kim Long (but that's everything in the title).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I love Pho, chicken or beef or seafood.  Vietnamese food has a wonderful freshness and vitality.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • I love Pho, chicken or beef or seafood.  Vietnamese food has a wonderful freshness and vitality.  
    Banh Mi for the win. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I enjoy the deep richness of good ramen broth a bit more than pho, but haven't quite got to making it properly myself. I can manage decent pho at home, so I get to enjoy it more often.

This is on the cards for a deep dive, just haven't got to it yet:

Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint https://a.co/d/31jtnzF

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited November 2022
    lkapigian said:
    Who’s going to tell him?

My understanding is that there’s actually two syllables in that word as it has a rising tone at the end - so it’s

fuh-uh
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    caliking said:
    Thanks for confirming that I was right. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    Thanks for confirming that I was right. 
    That was the intent. Trying to back you up :)