Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -Oakridge BBQ closing the doors-OT

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,462
    Options
    I intentionally left out the part in the opening post email about God and all the other fluff.  I had no clue all the drama surrounding the company owner.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I intentionally left out the part in the opening post email about God and all the other fluff.  I had no clue all the drama surrounding the company owner.  
    Same. I saw it all right here for the first time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295077

Interesting thread, especially since it’s from about a year ago and the owner has lots of comments.  I will let you derive your own conclusions.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Thanks @U_tarded

I am sure Penzey’s has alienated and lost a lot of biz over the years, but also has enough of an established biz and money in the bank to weather that.  Oakridge, not so much apparently.

Personally, I’m tired of the “cancel culture” labeling.  It’s free speech.  We used to call it voting with our $ or voting with our feet.  If you don’t like something, don’t support it.  If you like the product enough to look past or ignore what a company or person represents, then spend-on.  Personal choice, right?  

Where I do think it’s wrong is when the activism gets out of hand and advocate based on BS and lies. That’s just wrong to me, be informed and make your own choices.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2022
    Options
    They make a great pork injection. The Game Changer brine. I love mixing it with Martinelli apple juice with pulp and injecting that with dizzy pig cross roads for the rub. Won some awards with that combo.

Dude makes some great rubs, but wow, had no idea about all the drama.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Also thanks for posting that link U.  Wishing the best to Oak Ridge / Mike T on not only his future endeavors but also with reconciling what did and didn’t happen and why.  That’ll take some time. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    U_tarded said:

Interesting thread, especially since it’s from about a year ago and the owner has lots of comments.  I will let you derive your own conclusions.  
    Folks tried to give him some solid advice (personal and professional) in that thread. But, there was no looking back once he had done his own research.

I absolutely believe that this guy found irrefutable evidence of election fraud, whereas many many sharp judicial/legal minds could not. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,462
    Options
    Thanks for the above link.  Definitely laid out the collapsed foundation for where Oakridge finds itself today.  Sad way to go...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2022
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    U_tarded said:

Must be like a slow motion train wreck for his employees over this last year. Finding a good job is tough enough nowadays. I wish them the best.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Options
    He should find someone to buy or license his recipes, get what he can out of the biz now.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    He should find someone to buy or license his recipes, get what he can out of the biz now.
    You must not have watched the videos. He threatened all of his customers that the recipes die with the business so we had better support him. He said he will never sell or give the recipes to anyone. They are inspired by god and he is essentially god’s vessel to get these rubs out to the people, so there’s also that. Thanks, Google. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Haha - I watched part of two, that was enough.  Good for him. I would say F that guy, but he’s committed to F’ng himself.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Haha - I watched part of two, that was enough.  Good for him. I would say F that guy, but he’s committed to F’ng himself.
    It’s too bad god was more of a product guy and not managing his socials and running the books. 
  • Legume
    Options
    If he actually closes shop, I’ll bet those recipes get sold within 6 months when someone offers to cut him a check.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    If he actually closes shop, I’ll bet those recipes get sold within 6 months when someone offers to cut him a check.
    Maybe so. He does seem pretty intent on burning the whole thing to the ground though. 
  • Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Maybe so. He does seem pretty intent on burning the whole thing to the ground though. 
    Well, good for him.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:
    You must not have watched the videos. He threatened all of his customers that the recipes die with the business so we had better support him. He said he will never sell or give the recipes to anyone. They are inspired by god and he is essentially god’s vessel to get these rubs out to the people, so there’s also that. Thanks, Google. 
    Haven't we heard this before? Some kind of pizza dough recipe ? What was that dude's name?

Coincidence? I think not!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • U_tarded
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    This was the one that made me want to share it.  

He definitely made his own bed. 
  • U_tarded
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    You must not have watched the videos. He threatened all of his customers that the recipes die with the business so we had better support him. He said he will never sell or give the recipes to anyone. They are inspired by god and he is essentially god’s vessel to get these rubs out to the people, so there’s also that. Thanks, Google. 
    Haven't we heard this before? Some kind of pizza dough recipe ? What was that dude's name?

Ooohhh wasn’t that @Mikee or @SamFerrise both had some deep held pizza beliefs. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,175
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Ooohhh wasn’t that @Mikee or @SamFerrise both had some deep held pizza beliefs. 
    @Mikee , he wouldn't even give the dough recipe to his son.. said he worked to hard to perfect it and it dies when he dies.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Options
    My guess is he oversold that dough recipe here and didn’t want the forum shame if he had shared it.
  • Legume
    Options
    Hey Pete @pgprescott have you carried the Oakridge rubs?  What have your heard from the wholesale side?
  • Fathands
    Options
    I’m shocked and saddened. I have been using their products for the last several years. Especially love their Carne Crosta on steaks. Santa Maria is a very solid go-to, and the secret weapon is great on pork shoulders or ribs.

They tend to have lower salt content which I really appreciate.

Going to load up now.
    Southlake, TX
    XLBGE, MBGE, Weber Kettle
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Speaking of lower salt content, are there any other good low salt rubs out there?  I used to make my own but the oak ridge ribs were so good and so easy.  Definitely a fan of lower salt content. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Legume said:
    Hey Pete @pgprescott have you carried the Oakridge rubs?  What have your heard from the wholesale side?
    I was obviously aware of the brand but have not had any experience with them. I had always heard praise for the products but never pursued them. There are so many great rub products out there it’s impossible to experience them all. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Speaking of lower salt content, are there any other good low salt rubs out there?  I used to make my own but the oak ridge ribs were so good and so easy.  Definitely a fan of lower salt content. 
    Dizzy Pig has some really fantastic options. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I may start a thread attempting to reverse engineer the best of Oakridge rubs. The whole rub market is a scam, Dizzy Pig & Meat Church included. Most are sugar / crap. Toss in some instant espresso and everyone loses their minds. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I may start a thread attempting to reverse engineer the best of Oakridge rubs. The whole rub market is a scam, Dizzy Pig & Meat Church included. Most are sugar / crap. Toss in some instant espresso and everyone loses their minds. 

Has the charcoal in rubs fad worn out yet?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk